No announcement yet.

Is there any reason to be a good person? I see no justice in the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see no justice in the world-there is no point to be good.

There's no such thing as "good" either, but let's not quibble over definitions.

I am "good" to other folk because I think it encourages other folk to be good to me. All the religious dumbasses have regurgitated this principle, so I think it's fairly obvious.

Altruism is an emergent property of social interactions much like evolution is an emergent property of biological ones.

Another reason to be good is that's it's generally easier. All right, not littering is a bit hard, but it becomes a habit rather quickly.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

treat good people like you would want to be treated;
      Agathon:

Matthew 5:46

"If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?"
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Lorizael:

God is in faith, and because faith ignores logic and reason, there is absolutely no way to debate with this person,
        Agreed. Certain portions of faith should be amenable to reason, such as the existence of God.

The second way in which a person will prove God is by ascribing seemingly supernatural events to God. At first this appears to be reasonable; we don't know what did it, so God must have done it.
        Proofs outside of scripture generally rely on this principle by offering more evidence for God, saying that it is more likely for God to exist, than for God to not exist. "Supernatural" by definition falls outside the realm of human understanding.

However, one will also assert that things we do see in nature point towards God as a designer. Many things fit together much more nicely than chance would seem to provide.

This does not disprove God.
        Indeed. You've polished off two straw men. What about the validity of scripture as a historical record, setting aside the question of divine revelation? A comparison of any other book with scripture, shows that we should have vastly more confidence in the events of the Bible as true than for anything else we know.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

St. Leo

Another reason to be good is that's it's generally easier. All right, not littering is a bit hard, but it becomes a habit rather quickly.
          There's no such thing as "good"
          So why is littering bad?

All the religious dumbasses have regurgitated this principle,
          Altruism is an emergent property of social interactions much like evolution is an emergent property of biological ones.
          That was quick. You have that memorised or what?

Comment

Marduk is not a god. it's a low quality metal band

Comment

nihilism does have its good points.

since the world sucks, though, just try to have the best time you can, and be someone you can be proud of being. you are your choices, and even though it's worth nothing in the end, at least you'll feel accomplished. it's like sysiphus, in a way.
              B♭3

Comment

Re: Is there any reason to be a good person? I see no justice in the world

Originally posted by Vesayen
                In a GOOD society, the reason for being good is also obvious-if your nice to your brother, he will be nice to you.
                Are you expecting a reward, a return, for being good? Then what difference is between good and evil? I don't think good should be a mean to bring you rewards.

In OUR society I have finally reached the point where I see no re ason to be "good".

The highschool im graduating from later this week is a great example..... I never cheated, I worked fairly hard. In every test I have EVER taken in that school, I have seen people cheat, at least 15-20% of the class, if not more.
                How many of them will go through university intact? It's true, evil is its own downfall. Trust me, anybody who gets caught cheating or plagarising in any reptuable university is going to be dealt with severely.

I think its obvious who wins in the end-the one who goes to college for almost free.
                But he's not going to graduate, unless he turns himself around.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by obiwan18
                  Including the table of the nations, and the Tower of Babel?
                  Clearly, these are just tales.

Are you saying that the Chinese and the Aztecs all had been speaking the same language before the Tower of Babel fell down?
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Are you saying that the Chinese and the Aztecs all had been speaking the same language before the Tower of Babel fell down?
                    UR:

Does it make sense to consider people divided into groups such as the 'chinese' or the 'aztecs' at this point in time? For sure, the Aztecs do not exist, as a seperate language, and very likely the chinese do not as well.

Comment

I've been thinking the same thing lately.

Most of this stems from all the law suits. Especially the dishonest ones against catholic priests. Now we know they did some bad things, but I cannot believe all the people suing catholic priests have all been molested.

Sometimes I think, why don't I get on this action?

Comment

Does it make sense to consider people divided into groups such as the 'chinese' or the 'aztecs' at this point in time?
                        Why not?

For sure, the Aztecs do not exist, as a seperate language, and very likely the chinese do not as well.
                        What timeframe we are talking about?

Comment

What timeframe we are talking about?
                          Timeframe of the Tower of Babylon section and the table of nations, Genesis 9-10.

Likely around 5000 years ago. Well before the aztecs enter the scene.

Comment

Timeframe of the Tower of Babylon section and the table of nations, Genesis 9-10.

Likely around 5000 years ago. Well before the aztecs enter the scene.
                            5000 years ago, there was certainly a large division in the cultures and languages in the world. We have writing from over 5000 years ago from Egypt, Sumeria and other ME societies that show they had different languages. These languages had been evolving differently for thousands of years before that. Keep in mind that by 9000 BCE the world was more or less completely colonized by homo sapiens, minus some South Pacific islands. The antecedents of Aztec and Chinese (Shang) culture were well in place by 3000 BCE.

At any rate, the Tower of Babel is completely at odds with linguistic theory and what we know of how language evolved. Have you read any linguistic theory outside of Creationist sources?
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                              The antecedents of Aztec and Chinese (Shang) culture were well in place by 3000 BCE.
                              Archeological digs confirmed that the Chinese entered agricultural society at ~5000 BCE.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                                Here's a good operating principle: treat good people like you would want to be treated; take account of their wants and needs from their perspective. You can't really have a proper human relationship without doing this.

Good.

As for the deeply selfish people you encounter: treat them as you would treat an animal, because that's how they'll treat you. Do not give them even an inch, or they will take a mile.

I disagree. People have the capacity for change. Bartolomeo de las Casas was a slaver before he became a priest and fought for the cause of the Indians of Hispaniola. Andrew Carnegie was a right bastard to his employees, but then sepnt his remaining years building libraries and schools for their children. Malcolm X was a pimp, buglar, and drug dealer who cleaned up his act and became someone who made people's lives better.

When I was studying hate groups so many years ago, the story that spoke to me the most was a Klansman who was forced to work with a Black woman for a reason I now forget. Over the month of working closely with her, he came to realize that her problems were the same as his problems, her concerns for her children were the same as his. He became ashamed of his ideology and quit the Klan, stopped being a white supremicist.

If you treat others as human beings, they may not treat you the same way, but they might. I once heard a quote that has stuck with me. "The best way to destroy your enemy is to make him your friend."

Veyasen, what matters most in the world is your relationships with other people. At the end of your life, when you're looking back, would you rather rather be surrounded by your friends or your money?

If cheaters really bother you, you might consider a career in law enforcement. After all, what are criminals but cheaters?

If you want to make people's lives better, be a volunteer. Big Brother, Big Sister or Little Brother, Little Sister (a simlar program but to help the elderly) programs are everywhere. Become a union organizer, organize to clean up your community, help out at an animal shelter. Donate money to a woman's shelter. Volunteer at a homeless shelter sometime other than Thanksgiving or Christmas. Most organizations are begging for help.
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X