X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
    Lol - you could talk
    I did. Out loud. I posted about it.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Yes well anyway, my parents are arriving from Sydney tonight so don't wait for me. When/if I get online will depend on them.
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• No worries Mr baldy
        The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

• Gee, it just occurred to me that the smilies are all bald, too.
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Sorry guys, I'm still having a few mess-ups lately...
            tonight not great .. I may show but...
            "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
            *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• Perhaps it was one too many bald jokes for Deity

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hydey
                Perhaps it was one too many bald jokes for Deity
                Nah - you always know when he's really getting huffy - he goes and hangs out at the civfanatics MP forum
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• with his mates

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

• Originally posted by finbar
                    'Tis a pity War missed the subtext of my Trojan line.
                    i didn't miss it

i just don't always remember which thread i am replying too.. BTW is entendre spelled correctly now? and would it need an accent over the last E?

cheers lads
                    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

• Originally posted by War4ever

BTW is entendre spelled correctly now? and would it need an accent over the last E?
                      Yeah, it's entendre. No accent anywhere. It's the infinitive form of the French verb "to hear".

Comment

• Originally posted by Hydey
                        Perhaps it was one too many bald jokes for Deity
                        I got hair everywhere - no probs in that department.

I'm surprised no one picked me up on, 'I may show but..'
                        *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                          Nah - you always know when he's really getting huffy - he goes and hangs out at the civfanatics MP forum
                          Moi? Huffy - never... vous est huffy, non moi...

That'll get finbar going! Just watch!

I caught him out once with:
                          encore une fois - he said it was school boy French
                          But I was right.... as usual
                          *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• Originally posted by deity

Modesty becomes you.

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

• Originally posted by deity

Moi? Huffy - never... vous est huffy, non moi...

That'll get finbar going! Just watch!
                              If you need help with your French, Deity, you only have to ask. You don't have to hide behind your embarrassment.

"Vous est huffy".

That's a second person plural, followed by a third person singular, followed by an English word.

First, you have to decide whether you're an intimate of Horse's. Which, even though this is a French lesson, doesn't mean what you think it means. If you know someone really well, you can use the familiar tense - the singular - in this case the second person singular, "tu". If you're not an intimate of Horse, he would resent you using the familiar tense - surely an invitation to use it anyway, but that's a different bouilloire de poisson. Anyway, I know you're not an intimate of Horse's, so you should rightly use the formal tense - in this case the second person plural, "vous".

Now, "vous" is the second personal plural case, thus you have to match it with the appropriate case of the verb "etre" - "to be" - which is to say, the second person plural, "etes". There's a circumflex - a small, upside down "v" - over the first "e" in both "etre" and "etes".

Thus, you should say "vous etes" - followed by the French word for "huffy" - for which you could use the word "fache", with a circumflex over the "a" and an acute over the "e".

If you're really really determined to use the third person singular - "est" - in relation to Horse, you would have to say to someone else, Hydey for example - "Il est frache" - which is to say, "he is huffy".

Okay? Now repeat after me ...

I caught him out once with:
                              encore une fois - he said it was school boy French
                              Yes. It means "once more". Schoolboy French. Everyone - including schoolboys - should know it.

Comment

• Damm Finbar, after all these years i never knew you were bi lingual...well tri if you include your aussie english

i speak some, but rather embarrassed doing it French, being that half my family speaks it fluently....but i have no one to speak it with so i lost all my french speaking abilities.....

i will brush up and try a conversation with you in the near future...

ta!
                                Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Working...
                                X