OCC 2003 Comparison Game #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCC 2003 Comparison Game #2

I was looking for a small island start for another OCC, but saved this start as an interesting possibility. I went back to this one (looks like you are on a decent sized continent) and gave it an bit of a twist: the other civs are as "civilized" as possible, given the default choices.

- Normal 50x80 map, Round
    - Small land mass, Archipelago land forms
    - Wet climate, Temperate, 3 Billion years
    - Deity level
    - 7 "civilized" civs
    - Barbs at Raging Hordes
    - Restarts ON
    - NO free techs

You are Montezuma of the Aztecs. OCC is the only way to play the Aztecs: their city names are impossible.

(yes, that is a Gold mountain...)

and the save...

(this is a 2.42 save)

Normal OCC rules apply: retry Advanced Tribes, all other exploits permitted. See SG's OCC#1 for minimal game summary requirements; game log encouraged.

And a Silk hidden special.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Looks like a great location.

"due date" - try for Halloween?
      Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

Oh boy, looks like fun! Last time I had a gold mountain was when I tried the size 1 OCC.

It wasn't pretty...

Comment

My girlfriend is planning to go away to visit her sister sometime next month so I might be able to reinstall Civ 2 and play this particular challenge. Now I've got MGE there shouldn't be any trouble like I had last time.

Comment

Landing 1925

The good ship Montezuma landed in 1925.

I'm afraid I didn't keep a log since I wasn't expecting to finish - this is the first deity level OCC that I've managed.

However, nothing very exciting happened anyway.

Monarchy. Trade. Collossus. Shakes. Aqueduct. Sanitation. Republic and celebrate to size 21. Copes. Ikes. Darwin. And a smooth switch to Democracy in there somewhere.

The tensest moments were after I launched my "skinny" spaceship - would the Germans beat me with a "fat boy"? Would the English who surrounded me declare war? Actually the German spaceship was launched a couple of years too late and the English never even ended the alliance.

I nearly blew it at the end. After launch I was preparing for war like crazy. I built a para unit so that I could capture an English city if they attacked. It seemed to escape me that the essential feature of an OCC is that you only have OC.

The landing date will be easily beaten - I didn't have enough vans (or cash) so the last half dozen or so spaceship parts took two or three turns. Also I completely forgot to celebrate while I was in Monarchy.

The combination of a great starting position with benign neighbours makes this a very gentle game.

RJM at Sleeper's
            Attached Files
            Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

I'll think I'll give it a try, if I can find the time!
              Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
              Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
              POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
              LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

It's entirely normal to launch the SS and then build a defender each turn after that. Paranoia does set in, I admit, and if you're playing with the white civ then you have the advantage of having first turn which means your SS will beat all others that should land in the same year, but you don't get that with the Aztecs.

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
                  It's entirely normal to launch the SS and then build a defender each turn after that. Paranoia does set in, I admit, and if you're playing with the white civ then you have the advantage of having first turn which means your SS will beat all others that should land in the same year, but you don't get that with the Aztecs.
                  I built a mechanised infantry unit on the 1st post-launch turn. Then city walls, coastal fortress, sam missile battery, barracks, a couple of fighters, more mechanised infantry, paratroops and finally howies and armour. An amphibious landing on the 1st post-launch turn would have killed me, but by 1920 when I was building the offensive units, I was fairly confident I could survive an English attack long enough to land.

RJM at Sleeper's

Comment

I'm fairly sure that the stealth fighter is the preferred defender of choice in Liverpool, but I don't mind as long as I've got enough of them to defend attacks for 8 turns, no-one has the Manhattan Project and I have enough cash to just buy them all outright.
                    If it ever gets a bit hairy then I'll always have a spy there just incase I fancy buying anything in range, and also to keep an eye out for menacing units. I don't normally bother with a coastal fortress, but SAM is vital if you're surrounded. I don't bother with anything but 100% tax and purchase everything in sight.

Comment

Oh - can someone please provide an MGE save.

Comment

Oh - can someone please provide an MGE save.
                        Memory has become squishy but I think this is workable...load the 242 save in MGE. It should play. Good luck

Monk
                        so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Since I'm not due to play in any Successions, I think I'll give this one a go.
                          "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                          "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Memory has become squishy but I think this is workable...load the 242 save in MGE. It should play. Good luck
                            Yeah, I can confirm this. I only have MGE, and I had no problems loading the save.

So go ahead and download. :diotnow!:
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I'm fairly sure that the stealth fighter is the preferred defender of choice in Liverpool, but I don't mind as long as I've got enough of them to defend attacks for 8 turns, no-one has the Manhattan Project and I have enough cash to just buy them all outright.
                              If it ever gets a bit hairy then I'll always have a spy there just incase I fancy buying anything in range, and also to keep an eye out for menacing units. I don't normally bother with a coastal fortress, but SAM is vital if you're surrounded. I don't bother with anything but 100% tax and purchase everything in sight.
                              I didn't have the option of a stealth fighter - I stopped researching after fusion power and avoided diplomatic contact with the AI in case they took the opportunity to end the alliance. I'm not sure about the diplomat since it can't be used to bribe the AI cities, and their attacking units may well be stacked. However it does provide an additional defender if needed! I potentially needed to defend for 16 turns rather than 8 since my SS was 15-3-3-1-1-1.

RJM at Sleeper's

Comment

Working...
                              X