X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bloody Monk
    And what is +1??

Monk
    Just what it sounds like, Monk -- It means adding +1 to your post count on Poly. The duke o'york posting to whine that he hadn't gotten his +1 previously is a classic example. One-sentence, barely on-topic riposte's like DrSpike's tread the spammy side of the same street.

Overall, it means nothing except an eventual change of one's Poly "rank" (Settler - Chieftan - Prince - King - etc). This in itself is meaningless (imho) except when you hit 500 posts, which qualifies you to post a custom avatar.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit
      La Fayette -- I'm pretty sure that when Stu says "sentry" he means "sleep."
      I'm pretty sure too
      What I mean is that I wonder what use 'sleep' is, apart from when you are willing to sail onboard a given boat.
      I use 'fortify' when I have no use for a given unit at a given moment; IMO 'sleep' is mostly a very nice way to make some more mistakes than usual, by forgetting those units that are very easy to forget, especially if they are stationed far away from any city.

(sorry for your crutches )
      Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

• @ Monk

You seem to have about 550 posts, which should qualify you for the custom avatar, if you want it.

(unless you've been hanging out in the off-topic forum, where posts don't count towards advancement )
        "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

• Uses for Sentry / Sleep

I use 'S' with damaged units - so that I know when they are back on line - a damaged unit awakens when it is fully fit - and (very rarely) as a true sentry sitting on a far flung choke point - it comes to life when an opposing unit comes a-calling - and of course at sea -- other than that I don't use it ...

Stu
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

• Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
            @ Monk

You seem to have about 550 posts, which should qualify you for the custom avatar, if you want it.

(unless you've been hanging out in the off-topic forum, where posts don't count towards advancement )
            Off Topic posts are not counted in your profile. He's definitely qualified for a custom avatar...
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by Scouse Gits
              Uses for Sentry / Sleep

I use 'S' with damaged units - so that I know when they are back on line - a damaged unit awakens when it is fully fit ...
              Wow. Didn't know that. Excellent info, SG!!

Comment

• I inherited some sleepers, but I'll take the blame for sleeping those engineers even though there were possible jobs. I was too lazy to move them all each turn when the game would soon be over.

Please don't make me stand in the corner. Pur-lease.

Comment

Off Topic posts are not counted in your profile. He's definitely qualified for a custom avatar...
                  I didn't check his profile; I just looked in 'find other posts by this user'... and I know that utility lists OT posts.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                  "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

• The Monk is therefore a SOT -- Solidly On Topic.

Comment

The Monk is therefore a SOT -- Solidly On Topic.
                      I found myself wasting waaaaay too much time in the OT, a while back.

Comment

• Re: Custom Avatar

@ STYOM and -Jrabbit

Thanks guys.

At this point (since I can't really see it anyway) I think the standard monk avatar will suffice. It actually suits me fine. Wouldn't know how to find, make, alter, resize something new anyway.

Monk
                        so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

• You think I did my avatar all by myself?

Ixnay will help you if you request a custom avatar in the Community forum. All you would need to provide is a picture that you need altered.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• I use sleep with dips in my OCC so that they will alert me to approaching units. This way I can get out bribing barbs to protect my irrigation and roads, or just flatten them before they even get that close.
                            I used to use it on camels but they'd all wake up whenever I was attacked so now they're always fortified. Althought they make great explorers, I have to remember to take the dip off sleep whenever I build a aboat or else you won't get any early warning of barbs.

Comment

• Originally posted by duke o' york
                              I use sleep with dips in my OCC so that they will alert me to approaching units.
                              In my early days as a player I used to put sentries (sleeping warriors) at choke points to prevent or give early warning of invasion. I didn't realise that there are much better ways of doing it than that. I would sometimes completely forget about them until all hell broke loose when I switched to democracy. Mind you in those days I used to build the pyramids, put white goods in all my cities and didn't bother with trade.

I wonder what mistakes I'm making now that I will laugh at in a few months time.

RJM at Sleeper's
                              Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

• This one definitely qualifies as way behind. Dr. Spike (!!) last played Oct 26, 2003. This one is so old that the last four to play appear to be Spike, Ben Kenobi, Straybow, and STYOM, all of whom are fondly missed around these parts, lately.

Stu is up, according to Stu, anyway..."I am on it."-Nov 2, 03 and Nov 30,03.

The last playlist, as Spike was playing, was...

Obiwan18 - was skipped, now played
                                La Fayette - played
                                SCG - MIA
                                SG[1] - on deck
                                STYOM - played
                                SG(2) - retired *sniff, sniff*
                                Straybow - played
                                Hydey - MIA
                                DrSpike - at bat
                                Jrabbit - played

I looked everywhere for the final save for this game. Did you finish it up, Stu?? Is there any interest in finishing it??, by anyone??

This was so long ago that I have learned how to make an avatar in the mean time.

Monk
                                so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Working...
                                X