Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW Civ2 Tournament August 16 - September 14, 2004 : SPOILER Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by solo

    I must ask LaFayette whether he uses diplomats to help get military units around enemy unit zones of control, or whether he manages without using this trick, too.

    My diplomats are allowed anything except bribing, but:

    1) I didn't build many in this game (and that was probably a mistake, especially in front of Moscow, where I managed to empty the city twice in a row, before losing all my attacking units after Russian counterattack, because I had been just a bit optimistic about the strength of the defenders*).

    2) I sometimes make use of bribery close to the end of a long scenario in order to avoid "endgame boredom".

    * Nothing more frustrating than looking at an empty city, unable to send even a warrior inside, and knowing that you are going to loose all your valiant attackers next turn
    Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

    Comment


    • #77
      Sorry, solo, if I am making a complete fool of myself - but you can see City Walls on the map - hence my question...

      Stu
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

      Comment


      • #78
        Stu,

        Hmm, let me check this...

        Sure enough, the walls are right in front of my nose!

        I'm the one looking foolish, since I used to know this long ago! Funny!

        Too many EL games I guess, where they were never a consideration. Out of mind, out of sight.

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by solo
          Out of mind, out of sight.

          Comment


          • #80
            @SG - Thanks. Most of your cities were much leaner than mine, though I did spot a few temples and markets. I am curious whether you built barracks. It seems that barracks, built around 2000BC or so, should pay off quickly, assuming a vet unit is worth 1.5 times normal. Maybe the benefits are wasted if you are planning a very early ST or LW (like solo did) or early gunpowder. Or, if you attack mainly with diplomats. (?)

            @solo Thanks - I am still learning about tech-gifting, but understand your advice. As I recall from my replay, my power was Supreme and I gave away all my tech to the purple Sioux, but I still wasn't advancing well. I don't think I had even reached 20 techs when it slowed. Is that possible, or is my bad memory the most likely problem here?

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by solo
              When the Mongols respawned, research costs will go way up until you can find and gift tech to the new purple civ.
              To be more accurate -- and in this situation it really matters -- research costs go way up when the key civ is wiped out (cause then it has no techs at all) or when it respawns (cause then it has relatively few techs).

              Comment


              • #82
                hint hint

                Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

                Comment


                • #83
                  I rushed Barracks in newly conquered cities when I had a mess of badly injured units to repair - and then sold them again -- you will note that my attack was not launched until Sun Tzu came on line ...

                  Stu
                  "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                  "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by debeest


                    To be more accurate -- and in this situation it really matters -- research costs go way up when the key civ is wiped out (cause then it has no techs at all) or when it respawns (cause then it has relatively few techs).
                    But it happens as Solo specifies as well. Usually, because you have been gifting to them, the Purple Civ will have as many techs as you. When the respawn occurs, they will start with many fewer techs than the previous Purple, so, indeed, you will have an increase in tech costs until you find and re-gift techs to them.

                    Monk
                    so long and thanks for all the fish

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      MarkG

                      You promised to enter yourself!
                      Come on - strut your stuff!

                      Stu
                      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Hope it works better for Mark than it does for me:
                        I tried again uploading my savegame to the HoF, but when I click 'submit the game', I get a blank screen (same when I click 'view results' ).

                        ...grrrrrrr...
                        Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          LF, have you tried clicking the 'refresh' button on your browser when you get the blank screen?

                          Stu
                          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            LaFayette,

                            You have to do this manually. After establishing the address of your game save, use edit to select and copy the url from the address window of your browser. Then return to the other screen and paste this url in the slot for the saved game. After this, submit the game.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by Bloody Monk
                              But it happens as Solo specifies as well. Usually, because you have been gifting to them, the Purple Civ will have as many techs as you. When the respawn occurs, they will start with many fewer techs than the previous Purple, so, indeed, you will have an increase in tech costs until you find and re-gift techs to them.
                              BM, that's what I said -- when they're wiped out or when they respawn.

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                                You promised to enter yourself!
                                Come on - strut your stuff!
                                i'm a drop out.
                                my first attempt was spent carelessly on an endless war with the mongols

                                i'll submit a second attempt (not winning in need practice) after the official end of the tournament
                                Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                                Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                                giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X