Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW Civ2 Tournament August 16 - September 14, 2004 : SPOILER Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I have learned well from the master.

    To expand, for the sake of clarity, it should have been explicitly stated that Mike's gives you a Catherdral in every city, and that, since you already have one everywhere, Cath no longer appears in the build list. (We both said almost that)

    Monk (and it was 1516 here )
    so long and thanks for all the fish

    Comment


    • #17
      I'm pursuing STYOM's strategy to the letter, as usual, and I expect eventually to have similar results.....

      Actually, it's 250 BC and I'm doing very well (for me), but now it's time for me to decide on a strategy -- early landing or conquest. I've never played an actual early landing game -- nowadays I always conquer, and before I learned to conquer, I played more of a land-first-if-I-can-but-never-early game -- so I'm leaning toward exploring the road I've never traveled before.

      Comment


      • #18
        I'm approaching 1000AD - and am behind schedule
        The Mongrels & Japanese are toast as soon will be the Babs & Germans. However, on the Spanish front I have hit a Maginot line of forts in forests which is slowing things down too much - and the dratted Russians not only have The Wall, but have taken to building cities on rivers! My losses are horrendous - even for me!

        Stu
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

        Comment


        • #19
          I'm trying a conquest game for a change of pace, but have not done this for so long that I have a question.

          Does anyone know what happens if the last city of each AI is taken on the same turn (before 1500), eliminating all AI civs simultaneously? Do restarts still occur, or would this be counted as a victory.

          Oops, just checked out the respawn thread, so my questions is answered!
          Last edited by solo; August 24, 2004, 21:00.

          Comment


          • #20
            late game: 500AD to 1000AD

            I thought I knew the name of the forthcoming winner (early conqueror), namely daveV, but here comes solo

            Anyway, I hope both of them will have problems beating me by more than *a few* turns

            Back to my game: at 500AD there were Germany, China and Russia left (+ 3 *respawning foes*).

            The Germans had some walls, but were quite easy to beat. That induced me to think that my problem would be mostly logistics and that I would perhaps be able to achieve a pre-1000 conquest.

            I was wrong: the Chinese had walls almost anywhere and the Russians had more than walls. They also had fortresses with strong units inside (... who was the guy who said that the AI builds fortresses in order to protect YOUR troops? ). Best guess: fortress on top of a mountain with pikeman inside.

            I lost more than 20 valiant crusaders taking Moscow = no more hope of pre-1000 conquest.

            Not far from it though. The situation at 1000AD is as follows:

            35 cities
            51 crusaders
            2 ellies
            23 triremes

            China *almost* conquered
            Russia *almost* conquered
            Tenochtitlan bound to fall very soon
            Delhi bound to fall very soon
            Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

            Comment


            • #21
              Thanks for the answers and advice.

              There are posts in the main thread that say "restarts are on" so it seemed legal at first. I did it a few times in the 4000-2000BC era. The HOF page says not to post "replays". I am not sure if my game counts as that, but I guess I'll post it, and accept disqualification if I broke any rules.

              Anyway, my cannons finished the fight in 1834 - pretty late compared to the reports from LaFayette, Solo and Scouse Gits. I assume the best conquest is the earliest conquest. So, I must have started the fight too late. But it was good fun and I learned from it.

              My score was about 1400-1500. I'll post the game as soon as I can. And read about strategy.

              Comment


              • #22
                Peaster, "restarts on" means that when you eradicate a civilization, another civ of the same color will immediately spring up to replace it -- until certain conditions are met, which are still the subject of much uncertainty. If restarts are off, that just means that when you kill 'em, they stay dead.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by debeest
                  Peaster, "restarts on" means that when you eradicate a civilization, another civ of the same color will immediately spring up to replace it -- until certain conditions are met, which are still the subject of much uncertainty. If restarts are off, that just means that when you kill 'em, they stay dead.
                  Thanks, debeest; I have been puzzling over how to clear this up for Peaster, too.

                  Knowing now that "restarts on" has a particular meaning, perhaps it it is easier to see the difference between "restarts" and "replays". It is "replays", having a do-over, that is not allowed.

                  For my part, I see no reason why your effort should not be included (with an *-denoting a first time miscue). The purpose of these Tourneys is to fire up interest and play of the game. And that's a good thing.

                  Monk
                  so long and thanks for all the fish

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    La Fayette,

                    Don't worry too much about me in this one. I'm just back from vacation and may not even finish in time. It's been years since I've played for conquest in CivII, but your excellent respawn thread has given me a few ideas that I'm anxious to try out.

                    So far, I've had a decent start, trading for Ceremonial Burial with the Mongols before having to learn it. This allowed Monarchy by 2650, a great boost! Now it's 1600 and I've just learned Trade and am wondering whether to build HG or MPE first. Which way did you do it?

                    solo

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by solo
                      La Fayette,

                      HG or MPE first. Which way did you do it?

                      solo
                      Marco first: the AI civs are so happy to give me the map that will help me reach them ASAP and crush them
                      Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Hmm, good idea, but how do you crush them so early?

                        I decided on HG first, built in 1300, to allow more cities early on, but have followed that soon afterwards with MPE in 950. Now I have to start building an army. So far, no NON military units from huts for me.

                        My plan is to build a zillion cheap horsemen while researching to Invention for Leonardo's.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          MPE first.

                          I have not tested this, but it seems to me that the earlier one gets MPE the better, especially when it comes to getting tribute or alliances. Early in the game, just one extra 100g tribute is very valuable. And if it is very, very early, the HG city might not yet be size three anyway.

                          Good luck!!

                          Monk
                          so long and thanks for all the fish

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I went for HG & a robust Monarchy first - but what do I know? I doubt that I am a real competitor this time round ...

                            Stu
                            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                              I I doubt that I am a real competitor this time round ...
                              Stu
                              Anyone doubts when solo starts playing

                              He builds the Gardens before Marco, yet he builds Marco sooner than I do
                              Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                solo

                                IMO it would be very interesting if you playtest along with the ideas you have in mind.

                                Early conquerors usually start fighting with ellies/vet ellies and/or crusaders/vet crusaders. Horsemen at work, guided by a master, would certainly be the greatest show on earth ... at the moment
                                Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X