Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW Civ2 Tournament August 16 - September 14, 2004 : SPOILER Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    A new mystery, I think. After resuming my game, the purple civ did not respawn. Why not?

    After I complete my game I want to run some tests and try and figure out causes.

    No black clicking nor helper programs here, but I was unaware that bribes were considered taboo. One of my favorite tricks is to take capitals first, causing corruption in easily bribable secondary cities.

    Hats off to LaFayette! I am unsure of doing as well even with my diplomats.

    No dragoons yet, SG, as they are still about 30 turns away, unless the Vikings learn Gunpowder before I do.

    Comment


    • #47
      Drat! Conquest in 1520! Drat!

      The Crooks simply could not get down to Siouxland fast enough - bad logistics and planning on my behalf.

      Herewith my somewhat sketchy notes:

      Tech Tree
      Ceremonial Burial
      Horseback riding
      Alphabet
      Code of Laws
      Monarchy in 2200
      Bronze working - EXchanged
      Mysticism - X
      Warrior code - Tribute
      Pottery
      Currency
      Map making - Hut
      Writing
      Polytheism - X
      Trade
      Feudalism - H
      Iron working - X
      Literacy
      Masonry
      The wheel - X
      Philosophy & Monotheism
      Construction
      Mathematics - T
      Seafaring - T
      Bridge building - T
      Astronomy
      Engineering
      Republic - X
      Invention
      Gunpowder
      Banking - Captured
      Chivalry - C

      Time Line

      3850 - Athens & Sparta
      2850 - Thermopolae
      2050 - Establish Monarchy
      1950 - Corinth
      1800 - Delphi
      0900 - Pharsalos
      0825 - Hanging Gardens
      0800 - Knossos
      0750 - Argos
      0575 - Mycenae
      0450 - Herakleia
      0400 - Ephesos
      0250 - Colossus
      0160 - Thesalonika
      0100 - Rhodes
      ----
      0100 - Sun Tzu
      0180 - Eretrea
      0260 - Kashgar - Destroyed
      0300 - Michaelangelo's Chapel
      0400 - Bokhara - D
      0520 - Karakorum - Captured
      0540 - Samarkand - D; Troy
      0600 - Nishapur - C
      0640 - Tabriz - D
      Mongols toast (Sioux spawn as I discover later)
      0660 - Marco Polo
      0720 - Satsuma - C; Frankfurt - Bribed
      0740 - Edo - B
      0760 - Kyoto - C
      0800 - Valedolid - C; Kagoshima - C
      0880 - Osaka - C; Sverdlovsk - B
      Japanese toast (Babylonians spawn)
      0920 - Saragossa - C
      0940 - Cadiz - B
      0980 - Yakutsk - B; Isaac Newtons Workshop
      1020 - Babylon - D
      Babylonians toast (Zulus spawn)
      1060 - Tbilisi - C
      1100 - Cordoba - C
      1140 - Berlin & Pyramids - C
      1160 - Salamanca & Kiev - C; Leipzig - B
      1180 - Hamburg & Vladivostok - C; Barcelona - B
      Germans toast (no respawn)
      1200 - Moscow & The Great Wall - C; Toledo - C
      1220 - St Petersburg - C
      1240 - Novgorod - C
      1260 - Seville - C
      1280 - Krasnoyarsk - B; Smolensk - C
      1300 - Minsk - B; Odessa - C
      Russians toast (Celts spawn)
      1320 - Madrid & Lighthouse - C; Bilbao - C
      Celts toast (Romans spawn)
      Romans toast (Russians spawn)
      Russians toast (no respawn)
      1360 - Valencia - C
      Spanish toast (Aztecs spawn)
      1380
      Aztecs toast (no respawn)
      1420 - Marathon - Tribe
      1440 - Shanghai - C
      1460 - Zimbabwe - C
      Zulus toast (no respawn)
      1480 - Canton - B; Beijing & The Library - C
      Chinese toast (no respawn)
      1520 - Little Big Horn - C
      Sioux toast - game over

      231% Apolyton the Magnificent

      Sadly, a rather average game - bad planning in the latter half of the first millenium led to two centuries of delay - I reckon that 1350 would have been possible - so I was never really in the running - ah well it was great fun!!!!

      Stu

      Edited to include Ike's Shop - oops
      Last edited by Scouse Gits; August 27, 2004, 11:41.
      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

      Comment


      • #48
        Stu,

        Wait and see: I don't think that many players will finish sooner than you did.

        Yet, IMO, Marco much sooner would have been good for you.
        Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

        Comment


        • #49
          Thanks LaFayette, you may well be right - but I had horsemen out early and was already in contact with the Mongrels, Japanese, Russians & Germans so it did not seem to be a high priority until tracking restarts became essential.

          Stu
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

          Comment


          • #50
            @Monk

            Stu = 7 respawns
            LF = 6 respawns

            You were right: there is in fact a luck factor.

            Perhaps solo gets 20 respawns


            @solo

            No bribe is my personal choice. Anyone is perfectly free to play otherwise. I won't complain.
            Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

            Comment


            • #51
              @stu (about Marco)

              1) A map is much better than a contact when you want to plan an attack.

              2) Marco may also provide techs (I would swear that solo acquired at least 5 or 6 when he built it ).
              Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

              Comment


              • #52
                Bloodthirsty

                Are there no peace-loving OCC or EL players here?

                Comment


                • #53
                  I'm giving EL a shot. No telling whether I'll finish within the deadline, though.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Out of practice attempt...

                    4000 BC: Athens founded - a whale is a whale.
                    3900: Hut - 25g.
                    3750: Sparta
                    2500: Thermopylae
                    2200: Corinth
                    2000: Delphi Monarchy discovered.
                    1850: Form Monarchy
                    1200: Trade
                    775: Hut - supported Legion.
                    750: Greeks - Most Advanced.
                    725: Pharsalos
                    625: Hanging Gardens in Sparta
                    550: Knossos
                    525: Copper(d) Delphi>Sparta, 16 g.
                    475: Colossus in Sparta. Barbarians appeased near Thermopylae, 75 g. (Should have had a diplo nearby. )
                    325: Mongols spotted lurking east of Pharsalos.
                    275: Peace with Mongols bought at the cost of Alphabet and Pottery. Greeks=Supreme (so giving techs to the Mongols is a good thing, right? ).
                    100: Mycenae Barbarians sack Delphi.
                    75: Delphi bribed for 58 g - netting a diplomat and an Archer. Mongols sneak attack, killing a Horseman.
                    50: Philosophy>Polytheism
                    AD 40: Herakleia
                    AD 80: Dye(d) Sparta>Thermopylae, 24 g.
                    100: Ephesos
                    120: Mongol attacks at Pharsalos and Argos repelled.
                    200: Beads(d) Knossos>Sparta, 24g.
                    260: As our troops mass near Kashgar the Mongols offer us Map Making for a ceasefire, and we accept.
                    340: Wine(d) Sparta>Thermopylae, 34 g.
                    380: Shakespeare's Theatre in Sparta. Kashgar bribed, 208 g and Mathematics. We extort a ceasefire for Iron Working.
                    520: War provoked and Bokhara bribed for 260 g and The Wheel. We accept a cease fire for 200g, and take a further 50g for the peace treaty. Bringing the net cost down to 10g.
                    Thessalonika founded.
                    620: War provoked again - Aleppo revolts for 267 g and we gain Warrior Code. Mongols offer 50 g for a cease fire; we accept and make peace.
                    680: Michelangelo's Chapel in Sparta
                    740: War provoked - and Nishapur is bribed for 192 g netting 10 back and Astronomy
                    780: Meet Japanese near Nishapur. They are Receptive - we sign a peace treaty, ask to exchange knowledge ("Not interested") and demand tribute. They leave, and give us 300 g!
                    800: Japanese appear to have captured Tabriz, a Mongol city, since we are inadvertently encroaching there.
                    820: Hides(d) Athens>Sparta, 36 g.
                    940: Republic formed, to facilitate celebrations in Sparta.
                    980: Tabriz subverted from Japanese at some expense. They have no new tech Gems (d) Corinth>Sparta, 60 g. Sparta size 8.
                    1060: Hides(d) Athens>Sparta, 68 g.
                    1080: Japanese declare war after we refuse them Construction.
                    1140: Peace with Japanese
                    1200: Mongols sneak attack.
                    1220: Silk (d) Thermopylae>Sparta, 78 g.
                    1240: Hides (d) Corinth>Sparta, 68 g. Sewer rushed in Sparta.
                    1300: Silk (d) Knossos>Sparta, 48 g.
                    1340: Silk (d) Sparta>Karakorum(M), 216 g , Dye Athens>Karakorum(M), 39 g.
                    1380: Meet Spanish (Receptive) - they offer swap of Bridge Building (their only unknown tech) for Invention, which we take (we are already well on the way to Leo). Offer alliance, accepted. Maps shared. Spanish gift 200 g. This would have been so much harder on MGE. Hides (d) Athens>Sparta, 38 g.
                    1400: Gems (d) Mycenae>Codoba, 46 g, Salt Delphi>Cordoba, 15 g.
                    1420: Japanese sneak attack
                    1460: Leonardo's Workshop in Sparta. Sparta size 20.

                    1500. Gaah, I've made a hash of this. The application of some force to the Mongols and Japanese would eliminate them, but I've been unable, as usual, to focus on one goal. I'm trying to conquer, but stuck in Republic because I want Sparta to keep growing. My internal trade strategy hasn't paid off. My build orders are 1/3 Caravans, 1/3 Crusaders and 1/3 Diplomats, and I know that focus is the way to win quickly. Oh well. I'll win, but not impressively.

                    To be continued...
                    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

                    "Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      You said it yourself - lack of focus!
                      But it sounds a fun game & that is the be-all and end-all of this wonderful hobby of ours.

                      Stu
                      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Well, you guys will like this. In 320 AD, the Russians captured one of my advanced tribes and took Gunpowder as plunder! This was shared around with other AI, and now my knights were facing horrible mouseketeers instead of archers and phalanxes.

                        I lost something like 8 or 9 knights trying to take Cordoba, so ended up taking the low road and bribed the city later on. Walls make a huge difference, since cities without fall with hardly a fight.

                        The Japanese were the second civ eliminated, and respawned as the Babs, whose settler was found and killed quickly. The next turn a Zulu settler respawned in the exact same place. Too bad for him. No more green respawns since, so 4 civs remain.

                        Dragoons finally came in 580 AD at which time about 60 knights were promoted. Now it's 780, with about 7 or 8 visible AI cities left, but still 4 AI alive and kicking. Most of these cities are too large to bribe, though, and may be tough to take if they have walls, which is likely by now.

                        Only about 20 turns left to catch La Fayette. I have not built enough triremes (only 12 or so). Instead I was wasting time with settlers on a Ho Chi Minh trail leading all the way to Kyoto. I suspect I'll have trouble tracking down respawns, if there are many more to come.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Dragoons against musketeers at 600AD = early conquest solo's way

                          Looks like a real fun game
                          Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Trust solo to bring a new dimension to all aspects of the game!

                            Dragoons - wow

                            Stu
                            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              solo

                              Was the dual respawn on the jungle outcrop to the West of the main Spanish holdings?

                              I had three spawns there..

                              Stu
                              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Stu,

                                Nope, it was on the island west of the Chinese. I hope remaining respawners are this easy to spot. Well, it's back to the game...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X