Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW Civ2 Tournament August 16 - September 14, 2004 : SPOILER Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Well, my inquisitive diplomats let me know that Canton was the only remaining city having walls, and after putting 20 dragoons around the city (I was determined to take at least 1 walled city by force), only 5 were needed to take it.

    There were only 4 respawns in my game, and each one was quite easy to reach and kill, since the last 3 were all on the same convenient mini continent just west of the Chinese (not really an island, since there was a connection to the South Pole).

    Sorry LaFayette, but this allowed me to finish right at 1000 AD. I think if I had not relied on bribes and if I had had an equal number of respawns, I would have taken at least 20 more turns to finish. I also got quite an accidental advantage when the Japanese destroyed the Germans early on, causing the first respawn. I was also fortunate that none of the AI built the Great Wall.

    Looking back, I think I could have improved by building the Lighthouse and more triremes instead of Sun Tzu's. During the game, I was always wishing I could get all of my attackers to their targets much quicker than I actually did. The Lighthouse and more ships would have helped out here. In contrast, all my veteran knights turned into rookie dragoons, which sort of wasted the benefits of Sun Tzu.

    Happiness was a problem, but was not unmanageable. I just used a lot of small cities, so it didn't matter if a few became useless. Unit support problems were easily solved once I started capturing AI cities. I could use these cities to support recovering attackers, freeing up shields in my home cities to increase their rates of production.

    In sum, I was greatly encouraged with this Invention-Chivalry strategy, since it produces a big army very cheaply and in a more timely fashion than the Monotheism-Crusader system. The amount of research needed is about the same and things are quite manageable without Michaelangelo's. With a good chance of dragoons in time to be of real use, I'd say one's odds are best by doing things this way.

    However, I have another new strategy I'd like to try if we play another game after this one. I'd like to see how early a conquest is possible while playing using LaFayette's self-imposed restrictions. Eliminating bribery does make a huge difference in how quickly one can capture well defended AI cities, and I'm still very impressed with LaFayette's great result.

    Attached is the save made at 1000 AD. More details later.
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #62
      Great result, and I now see what you meant by HG over MPE. It becomes essential for this ICS approach. I don't think often enough to use that approach. Your cities are so lean and economical with total focus on unit production. It's quite marvellous to look upon and contemplate.

      I hope there are more of these just to see what you, and the other Magnificent Marauders, will do next.

      Monk
      so long and thanks for all the fish

      Comment


      • #63
        Log of Conquest Win – 1000 AD

        Here is the sequence of events. See previous posts for more details and discussion of the game.

        3900 Athens, Sparta
        3750 Alphabet
        3600 hut – archer
        3550 Code of Laws
        3250 Thermopylae
        3150 Map Making
        2950 Mongols – trade for Ceremonial Burial, allows earlier acquisition of Monarchy
        2800 Corinth
        2650 Monarchy, Mongols – trade for Bronze Working, Masonry, hut – Pottery
        2550 hut – nomads
        2400 Delphi
        2300 Pharsalos
        2100 Currency
        2050 Knossus, hut – Construction
        1900 Japanese – trade for Horseback Riding, share maps; Mongols – give tech, share maps
        1800 hut – barbs
        1600 Trade, Argos
        1400 Mycenae
        1300 Hanging Gardens, Chinese – trade for Writing, share maps, 50g tribute;
        Mongols – tech, 100g; Japanese – tech, maps, 75g

        1100 The Wheel
        1000 hut – elephant
        950 Marco Polo’s Embassy, hut – nomads, Germans – tech, maps;
        Russians – trade for Warrior Code, maps, 250g; Japanese – tech, maps, 150g

        925 Germans destroyed by the Japanese; Spanish – tech, maps, 250g
        900 Respawn #1 – Vikings, Herakleia, hut – barbs
        875 exploring horseman killed by barbs
        825 Ephesos, Chinese – tech, maps, 50g
        800 hut – barbs
        775 barbs kill horseman, Literacy
        750 barb horseman bribed, 41g; Mongols – tech, 100g
        725 hut – horseman
        600 hut – 25g
        575 Spanish – tech, maps 50g; Thessalonia; Vikings – tech, maps
        550 Russians – tech, maps, 100g
        475 Rhodes
        450 bribe Spanish settler, 252g; Chinese – 150g
        425 Spanish – tech, maps; bribe Mongol archer, 156g
        400 sneak attack by Mongols, hut – Feudalism, Eretria; Japanese – tech, maps, 100g
        375 bribe Mongol horseman, 285g, hut – Invention
        325 dye(d) to Osaka, 24g (trading is a waste of time)
        300 Leonardo’s Workshop, Spanish – 125g
        275 bribe Mongol chariot, 262g
        250 bribe Mongol phalanx, 293g
        225 Japanese capture Kiev; Spanish – 50g; Mongol archer bribed, 222g

        My horsemen around Karakorum were living off these bribes, waiting to become knights.

        175 Chinese – 150g
        125 Chivalry, 44 horsemen upgraded to knights; Karakorum taken, 73g plunder;
        Chinese – trade for Iron Working;
        Vikings, Japanese & Spanish – tech, maps;
        Russians – tech, maps, 50g

        100 bribe Mongol phalanx, 46g (cheaper now with capital gone!)
        75 Troy

        AD years

        1 Vikings – 50g; Bokhara bribed - 171g
        40 Smarakand destroyed, 9g
        80 Nishapur bribed, 54g, Mongols destroyed – no respawn; Spanish – 75g; Japanese – tech, maps

        100 Japanese – 100g; Marathon
        120 Sun Tzu’s Academy, hut – Halicarnassus
        160 Edo taken, 7g, Mysticism
        200 Kyoto taken, 7g, Polytheism
        220 Spanish – 50g
        260 Gunpowder; Chinese, Spanish – tech, maps; Vikings – 50g
        280 Russians – war
        300 Osaka taken, 11g, Republic; Tsingtao taken, 10g, Banking
        320 Berlin bribed, 330g; Russians take Halicarnassus, Gunpowder, oops!
        360 Madrid taken, 10g, Mathematics
        440 St. Petersburg taken, 45g
        460 Seville taken, 11g, Astronomy
        480 Moscow destroyed, 15g; 150g from Russians for cease fire
        500 As for now 12 cities taken, 14 or more to go, I have 57 knights, 28 musketeers, 9 triremes, and a partially completed road south

        520 Kiev taken, 20g; Japanese destroyed
        540 Respawn #2 – Babylonians; Toledo taken, 15g
        580 Leadership, all knights promoted to dragoons
        600 Nanking destroyed, 2g;
        Cordoba bribed for only 232g after loosing about 7 knights against its walls
        Babylonian settler destroyed

        620 Respawn #3 – Zulus settler at same spot, destroyed immediately;
        Valencia taken, 17g; barb leader, 50g

        640 Saragossa taken, 8g
        660 Salamanca taken, 8g
        700 Barcelona bribed, 330g
        720 Vikings – trade for Bridge Building, Philosophy, maps
        760 Shanghai taken, 19g
        780 Vikings – 100g
        800 Smolensk taken, 23g
        860 Valladoid taken, 13g; Spanish destroyed;
        Trondheim taken, 25g; Vikings destroyed, neither color respawns

        900 Minsk taken, Russians destroyed, Canton taken, 36g
        920 Respawn #4 – Celts, Celts – tech, maps;
        Beijing taken, 28g
        940 Monotheism; Cengdu taken, 12g;
        Chinese destroyed, no respawn
        1000 Celts destroyed, no respawn, no AI left; conquest win with score of 1838, 238%

        Comment


        • #64
          solo, please add your game on the hof
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

          Comment


          • #65
            Congrats

            First 1000AD conquest of all times with DRAGOONS, I suppose
            Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

            Comment


            • #66
              "Benevolent Dave", who is so clever at making happy those double unhappy citizens, is the one who will most probably manage to beat the 1000AD milestone.

              (... unless samson or zenon post some amazing post before the 14th, not to forget SlowThinker ... but he has played so few games to the end ... )
              Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

              Comment


              • #67
                I consider LaFayette's result, without bribery, to be the better achievement. His experience playing all those scenarios really shows.

                My estimate is that for each city that is bribed, at least 3 or 4 turns are saved, since that is about how long it would take to move enough attackers into position to capture bribed cities by force. In my own game I bribed something like 6 to 8 cities. For larger AI cities located away from most of the others, such as Berlin, I'd bet it would take an extra 6 or 7 turns. Add all these delays to my game, and I may be having trouble getting the job done before 1500.

                I'd like to see another game without bribery, so as to better compare the effectiveness of our different strategies.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Many congratulations ...
                  Yet another PhD in Civ!!!!!

                  Stu
                  "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                  "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    A poor effort..

                    OK, I'm rusty.

                    Situation at 1500:



                    1500: OK, I'm too far behind for an early landing, and trading doesn't seem to pay. Back to a war footing! Mongols offer 400 g for a cease fire - accepted, and peace made. We fully expect to break this treaty in short order.
                    1540: Form Monarchy
                    1550: Marco Polo's Embassy in Corinth. Embassies all around, tech gifting and swapping indiscriminately, maps with all. Of note: tribute demanded of Germans, and they cough up 850 g. War provoked with Mongols; walls down in Karakorum, Karakorum captured, 31 g.
                    1560: Samarkand bribed for 165 g, Mongols eliminated.
                    1590: Magellan's Expedition in Athens.
                    1600: Spanish cancel alliance.
                    1620: 300 g extorted from Japanese for peace.
                    1630: Spanish declare war; Malaga rebels for 212 g. Spanish pay 150 g for peace.
                    1640: Russians declare war.
                    1650: Hangchow subverted from Chinese for 398 g, netting Feudalism.
                    1670: Edo rebels for 520 g. Russians declare war, again.
                    1680: Kyoto falls.
                    1690: Statue of Liberty in Corinth.
                    1700: Fundamentalism formed.
                    1710: Tsingtao subverted for 362 g, netting Gunpowder. We note that the Russians are busy learning Metallurgy, which will obsolete their Great Wall. Osaka revolts for 265 g, Japanese eliminated.
                    1730: Xinjian revolts for 260 g.
                    1752: Heidelburg bribed for 420 g.
                    1754: Cordoba falls.
                    1756: Shanghai bribed for 826 g.
                    1764: Madrid with Lighthouse, Oracle and Copernicus captured.
                    1766: Seville revolts for 366 g. Canton falls.
                    1770: Valladolid falls, Salamanca rebels for 402 g.
                    1772: Beijing falls with Great Library and Sun Tzu's War Academy, Chinese eliminated. Barcelona revolts for 260 g, Saragossa revolts for 252 g.
                    1774: Communism formed (it seems the Russians will never learn Metallurgy!). Granada revolts for 310 g.
                    1776: Satsuma falls, netting Metallurgy from Russians (which they naturally discovered after my revolt!). Tientsin revolts for 261 g.
                    1782: Toledo revolts for 480 g.
                    1786: Chengdu destroyed.
                    1788: Novgorod captured. Hamburg bribed for 312 g.
                    1794: Valencia captured.
                    1796: Berlin and Pyramids fall.
                    1798: Avila captured, Spanish eliminated.
                    1800: Leipzig revolts for 455 g. Kagoshima falls.
                    1804: Konigsberg captured, Germans eliminated.
                    1808: Sverdlovsk captured.
                    1814: Tblisi captured.
                    1824: Yakutsk captured.
                    1826: Odessa captured.
                    1830: Vladivostok captured. Smolensk captured. St. Petersburg captured.
                    1834: Kiev captured.
                    1838: Vigo destroyed.
                    1840: Sevastopol captured. Minsk captured.
                    1842: Moscow and King Richard's Crusade captured. Russians eliminated. Rhodes founded.

                    Game over! At least I wasn't in the 1 yr/turn phase yet
                    Attached Files
                    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

                    "Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      There are some pretty impressive players in this game!

                      I took a look at Solo's save for clues about how such an amazing (at least to me) conquest is possible. It appears the cities produced about 5000-6000 shields, with about 80% going into units, and about 20% into Wonders, and none into city improvements. Wow, no temples or barracks!? Or were they built and later sold?

                      Is that a standard idea in conquest games - to put almost all production into units?

                      I tried it myself and it worked OK, at least for a while. Probably it's unrelated to this strategy - but my advances slowed to 1/26 turns about the time the Mongols respawned. Or maybe it was when I built MPE? Anyway, I couldn't seem to fix it with gifts (maybe I better go back to the Great Library about that) and I soon got bogged down fighting pikemen with elephants. I finished around 1800 AD (again).

                      It's probably a good thing I didn't try for Solo's clever Chivalry/Leonardo idea with such poor science ability!

                      For some reason, I can't download Scouse Gits' game, but I'd like to see that too.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        My save

                        It DLed from polly OK for me ...
                        Here it is ...
                        Attached Files
                        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Peaster,

                          That's right, no temples or barrracks. All production went into units and wonders.

                          Research can be improved by not trading for techs that are not along the desired path. You can also gift techs to the key (purple) civ to help reduce research costs. When the Mongols respawned, research costs will go way up until you can find and gift tech to the new purple civ.

                          Very early in the game, I place initial cities carefully to maximize trade arrow production, to improve research so as to get to Monarchy and following techs earlier. In my save you'll see how the first few cities are placed to do this. They are also close together to reduce corruption and are all connected very early by roads or rivers so that units can be shifted around quickly and easily to adjust support or enforce happiness.

                          The main thing slowing down research is when you cross over the 20 tech threshold, when research costs go way up. It's very easy to pick up unneeded techs unless you are focused on sticking to your plan of research. This is why only essential techs are acquired, to make progress towards the desired combination go quicker. I needed 19 techs to get to Invention-Chivalry, so had one to spare, which allowed me to take some risks.

                          Later in the game, when you start taking AI cities, doing so quickly adds more cities and their beakers to your total keeping research times at around 15 turns per tech. I used a lot of bribing early on to facilitate this.

                          Comment


                          • #73

                            Well, my inquisitive diplomats let me know that Canton was the only remaining city having walls


                            Silly question - how and / or why do you use Diplos to do this?

                            Stu
                            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              solo - I have just had a look at your final save -- isn't it remarkable how different the development of the AI is between you map & my own!

                              What a great game you had!

                              Stu
                              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Stu,

                                Yes, it's amazing how differently things go using the same start. After a game, I'll often replay it later in order to try out a new idea or two, and will be amazed at how differently things progress and how the AI develop. Their actions and interactions are randomized enough to make every game come out quite different!

                                This also explains why the preferred respawn area differed in our games. City placements were quite different.

                                Not a silly question about diplos, who are usually wasted when using their "investigate city" option, but I had spare diplos near each big city near the end when I was feeling obliged to capture remaining cities by force.

                                I must ask LaFayette whether he uses diplomats to help get military units around enemy unit zones of control, or whether he manages without using this trick, too.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X