Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The HOTW VII - Setup Thread II (or the entrance of new mods)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We can make it a little game, who's first in the lobby after the reboot earns 10 points, #2 earns 9 points, etc.
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• Originally posted by CyberShy
      If the forwarding / configuration is wrong we won't be able to play at all.
      I remember that Sorens and others have said that Civ4 uses all sorts of tricks to get non configured PC's to still connect. Incorrect configurations simply means you can't host I believe.

The point I make is that we should all take responibilty to each other by confirming our port forwarding. I bet if everyone has it perfectly configured we'd have way less problems.

But let's look at the memory leak as well.

In our big Terra Aussie games with up to 8 players we usually run smoothly, except for one horrendous session.
      "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
      *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• 1) We also need to appoint an in-game organiser/decision maker.

We finally nominated ozzy during the last session so lets stick with that and follow ozzy's decisions as quickly as he makes them.

Make your suggestions in chat, ozzy decides and we comply.

2) In the event that ozzy is offline I nominate Cyber as the 2IC.

3) The main host is CT and I'm the back up host. So CT and I don't have to worry about chasing up people or deciding things - we just keep our PC's stable with minimal other programs running. If ozzy/Cyber say reload or switch hosts just re-connect after a reboot. Keep mine and CT's IP's handy in a text file for quick access.

4) lz is in charge of problem collation & reporting as per the log files.

5) Frank/Dangime is the oracle on game mechanics advise.

6) Everyone else keep in game chat to a minimum if there are tech issues, only making tech suggestions. (All in game diplo diplomacy to be carried out by using the tab key to the one relevant player and only using the FA if needed)
        "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
        *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• So how sure are we that when ppl alt tab this doesn't cause problems. In my own experience in previous games this caused ppl while alt tabbed to be waited on to connect back to the game.

Comment

• If people who can't host have problems then Kuno and Nolan should check their configuration. After last session we tested something and they both couldn't host.

Keeping chat a minimum during tech problems is perhaps a good idea.

Maybe alt-tabbing is a problem for people with less good computers. I think nobody ever experienced problems while I was alt-tabbing. Did I ever fall away or did you guys oftenly have to 'wait for CyberShy'?

Deity, your australian games, aren't only australians in them?

Comment

• The aussie games we have with deity are pretty global. And CyberShy u may be ok with alt tabbing, but what about the ppl with the slow pc's. I wasn't talking about you

Comment

• That's what I said "Maybe alt-tabbing is a problem for people with less good computers."

Comment

• official notice!!

dig up a sub for me. my mother will turn 50 on wednesday but the party will be friday and thus I probably wont be able to hook up.

NOT TRUE. the thing is, as our game starts at 00:30 in my local timezone the party might be over in time. though I doubt it. however, I should be able to play at least the last 2 hours as I cant imagine the old people staying up for very long. regardless. get me a sub and I'll try to get in after an hour or so. I'll log on msn\aim\yim when I'm ready and give you notice. I really hope I can get to play as I have such magnificent plans for the Viking empire
                  Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

• Is the party taking place far from your house?
                    Can't you let one of your flatmates play for 1 hour for you? That way you can instruct him.

Congratulations with your mum 8)

Note to myself: tell my family that I won't attend birthday parties after fridayevening 00:00.

Comment

• If you are really all worried about connections, we could just use hamachi ¬_¬

Comment

• What's hamachi?

edit:
                        n/m: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamachi
                        Last edited by Robert; September 19, 2006, 05:25.

Comment

• I dont live near my parents place.

But they do have a comp and internet that I can use. And theoretically I could have one of my flatmates run my civ for an hour or so. only hitch is... I DONT WANT THAT CRAZY FRENCHMAN RUNNING MY EMPIRE!!

eh.. hehe... are you reading this fransiski? damn. now I cant go to sleep without alarm bells on my door

but seriously. yes. I'll ask. but as stated before, they/he is a little unpredictable. never know if he'll be available. and the others dont have warlords.
                          Attached Files
                          Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

• The circle where I live is SO MUCH bigger then the dot where you live!
                            The distance between where you live and where your parents live is only about 2cm, what's the fuss about?

Never understood btw why you nors (Norians? Norwayians?) have such a laaaarge amound of territory while you only live there with so few people, while we, the magnificient dutch, have that many people and so little space! It's unfair

Comment

• I think the Dutch need some Lebensraum....
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• If I would be the leader of the Dutch I would surely invade Belgium

Comment

Working...
                                X