Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The HOTW VII - Setup Thread II (or the entrance of new mods)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For example...
    Attached Files
    "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
    *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• My ADSL modem is not a router.
      It doesn't have an IP address. If I connect my modem directly to my PC then my PC receives the IP address.
      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• Originally posted by CyberShy
        My ADSL modem is not a router.
        It doesn't have an IP address. If I connect my modem directly to my PC then my PC receives the IP address.
        Are you sure?

In Australia, from all my experience and reading PC magazines, all ADSL modems are routers.

Can you tell me the brand and model of your modem? I'm interested Cyber.
        *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• It's an Alcatel Speed Touch home

Comment

• Thats a USB ADSL modem and yeah, its not a router. Only ports you need to check are software/windows firewall.

Comment

• EDIT: Damn, I was told Civ4 was on the lists but I don't see it...

---

This website might help a few of you with port forwarding:

Open ports on your router with our port forwarding guides. We have guides specific to your router.

(It includes Alcatel Speedtouch's but not the home one)
              *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• Originally posted by Thrak
                Thats a USB ADSL modem and yeah, its not a router. Only ports you need to check are software/windows firewall.
                So it's only the ethernet ones that assign IP's?
                *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• Originally posted by Thrak
                  Thats a USB ADSL modem and yeah, its not a router. Only ports you need to check are software/windows firewall.
                  Nope, it's not a USB modem. It's an ethernet modem.
                  There's most probably an USB variant as well of course.

Comment

• oh, my dad has the 330 or something assumed it was he same.

Comment

• I think they all work the same, some through USB others through UTP.
                      I'm going to get a new modem soon though. I signed upfor a 20Mb/sec connection 8)

Beat that 8)

Comment

• hmmm. maybe I should take my friend up on his suggestion and apply for a job with my ISP (he works there), 20mb would be given to me for free... or was it what I'm paying now...?

regardless, I have a 8Mb/s line. my Routers at 10.0.0.1 as it's a small 4 man network, and I'm at 10.0.0.3
                        but that is just the internal network. not sure how that has any relevance for what we are doing...
                        as for setup and such I've run what I have as "Telnet 10.0.0.1 (my routers internal network address)" function in the command window. that gets me a menubased system where I have manually opened the ports that Soren mentioned civ4 (vanilla) needed.
                        Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

• Originally posted by LzPrst
                          hmmm. maybe I should take my friend up on his suggestion and apply for a job with my ISP (he works there), 20mb would be given to me for free... or was it what I'm paying now...?

regardless, I have a 8Mb/s line. my Routers at 10.0.0.1 as it's a small 4 man network, and I'm at 10.0.0.3
                          but that is just the internal network. not sure how that has any relevance for what we are doing...
                          as for setup and such I've run what I have as "Telnet 10.0.0.1 (my routers internal network address)" function in the command window. that gets me a menubased system where I have manually opened the ports that Soren mentioned civ4 (vanilla) needed.
                          This is exactly right. It shows you are correctly configured. The 10.0.0.1 modem is forwarding the ports to 10.0.0.3.

The relevance is to get everyone to confirm their undrstanding of this and that they have done it
                          *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

• If the forwarding / configuration is wrong we won't be able to play at all. The problem is, like I stated earlier, that the memory is most probably leaking and therefor after playing some time on a huge map some of the pc's just start to slow down which causes problems in the data traffic. We just all must reboot our systems next time after the first problems occur.

Comment

• hehe. reboot every 15 mins
                              but actually a reboot every hour may save us a LOT of stress and annoyance. and as it is we're spending way more time trying to make things work by any other means. next session everyone do a full restart of their comp before trying to connect and then we do it again if problems occur.
                              Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

• Sounds good, a restart should help a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                X