No announcement yet.

Anybody found 'hidden' features?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just discovered you can rename a unit by clicking on the name in the lower left corner. Naming your first caravel 'Santa Maria' really takes the game to another level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moquia
      Just discovered you can rename a unit by clicking on the name in the lower left corner. Naming your first caravel 'Santa Maria' really takes the game to another level.
      You can re-name units in CivIII... this isn't new.

Does naming a caravel "Santa Maria" actually do anything?
      What is SportsDigs.com?

Comment

• Originally posted by Franklinnoble

Does naming a caravel "Santa Maria" actually do anything?
        No, but maybe I need to name the explorer onboard 'Columbus'

Comment

• Originally posted by Franklinnoble
          IIRC in CIV 3 you can rename only an elite unit, when it create a military leader.
          "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
          - Admiral Naismith

Comment

• In Conquests (maybe in a patch) IIRC you could rename anything.

Comment

• Back on the chaining irrigated farms topic. Note that cities and some other tile types count as fresh water sometimes, so you may be able to start your irrigation chain someplace you didn't expect.

If your irrigated farms are coming off of one fresh water source and the chain gets broken. You'll see all the downstream farm graphics change. They'll lose their water! Have your workers fix the break in your chain and the irrigation will come back to all the ones that lost it. I did this by accident my last game and thought it was kinda neat.
              Last edited by nathanebht; November 13, 2005, 19:31.

Comment

• Originally posted by Willem

Oh geez, don't bring that up! You'll have Hillary Clinton hanging out around here in no time.

ok I just threw up in my mouth...twice
                "I aspire sir, to be better than I am" - Data

Comment

• Originally posted by Moquia
                  Just discovered you can rename a unit by clicking on the name in the lower left corner. Naming your first caravel 'Santa Maria' really takes the game to another level.
                  Yep. Cool indeed...
                  But this feature doesn't work everytime, I can't see why...
                  Sometimes, I click on the name of the unit, and a box pop up comes. Sometimes I can type a name in the box, sometimes I can't. The box is there, the cursor is blinking on the right place, but it is like the keyboard doesn't work. I didn't figured out why the stupid thing act like that. This happens in the two computers where I've installed Civ IV.
                  RIAA sucks
                  The Optimistas
                  I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

• Originally posted by Konquest02
                    You can play as the barbarians, and Sid is your leader...

http://www.civfanatics.com/gallery/s...784&original=1
                    Is this for real?

Comment

• Originally posted by padillah

My father was from Puerto Rico and he maintained that when he and my mother went to Italy he had absolutely no problem speaking with anybody. There were some people that gave him a hard time, but it was because he didn't speak Italian, not because they didn't understand him.

I, for one, also speak Portuguese (my wife is from Brazil) and they are so close I have a hard time determining if a person is speaking Italian or Portuguese for the first few words.

Tom P.
                      I would think that applies to any of the Romance languages. I took six years of French and can make out enough Spanish, Portuguese, or Italian to make sense of what I'm reading. I haven't any exposure to Romanian, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Finarfin
                        I would think that applies to any of the Romance languages. I took six years of French and can make out enough Spanish, Portuguese, or Italian to make sense of what I'm reading. I haven't any exposure to Romanian, though.
                        A friend I was talking to had the last word on this subject:

If you get hungry enough you can communicate in any language.

Tom P.

Comment

• romance

italian, french, spanish, portuguese and romanian are neo-latin languages

italian-spanish is the easiest link
                          italian-spanish/romanian is a little harder but possible
                          italian-spanish/french need some basic knowledge
                          italian-spanish/portuguese really wondering how can it be that hard? it's like klingon
                          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

• Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                            romance

italian, french, spanish, portuguese and romanian are neo-latin languages

italian-spanish is the easiest link
                            italian-spanish/romanian is a little harder but possible
                            italian-spanish/french need some basic knowledge
                            italian-spanish/portuguese really wondering how can it be that hard? it's like klingon

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying Italian<-->Protuguese is hard or easy? And where/why does spanish fit into each translation?

Plus, remember, I'm a second language Portuguese speaker so I may not have the ear you do. I may only think I understand it.

Tom P.

Comment

• / = to

Italian and Spanish to Portoguese is HARD
                              I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

• Well, being a native spanish speaker with some VERY BASIC knowledge of italian (probably the same that i have of portuguese)... i can understand what an italian guy is saying better than what a portuguese guy says.
                                Here with the Mercosur, it is really easy to find brazilian people that doesn't know spanish... and unless they say something in spanish, you usually do not understand very well what they are saying... part of the problem is that many words have completelly different meanings... so, you think you "are understanding"... but they are saying a completelly different thing.
                                It is far easier for me to read portuguese... i will surelly understand more... but again, the misunderstandings will surelly appear.
                                On the other hand, i have read some romanian and i have managed to understand most of it... sadly, i never heard it, so i can't tell you if i can understand what a romanian guy says...
                                Abouth french... i do not understand a word of it... nada de nada...
                                "A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
                                V. I. Lenin
                                "It is better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep."
                                Benito Mussolini

Comment

Working...
                                X