No announcement yet.

Anybody found 'hidden' features?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But what if there are pirates in the indian ocean, and a high-production base next to a 1-tile lake in africa?
    Wouldn't you want a Canal that starts in China, weaves its way around Europe, builds a canal bridge over the suez canal, and finally ends in South Africa?

Comment

• Originally posted by Trip

Technically she's a German babe.
      that one is very true, thats why she wasnt that pretty

Comment

• errr, this is about catherine

Comment

• We've needed canals since Civ1. Let me give my inland cities access to the ocean. Look at the Houston Ship Canal which is 56 miles (91 km) long (and longer than the Panama Canal). It connects Houston, Texas an inland city to the Gulf of Mexico.
          Make the canaled tile improvements expensive, make the tile be useless for any other function, just make a canal. Put in some algorithm that make one canal tile cost X turns, building the second to make a line of two will cost 2X, the third 3X, etc.
          I think if the Pharaohs were less egotistical, we could've put them slaves to digging the Suez canal in whatever B.C.
          .......shhhhhh......I'm lurking.......proud to have been stuck at settler for six years.......

Comment

• Originally posted by Last Conformist
            How long canals do you want, anyway? Canals capable of taking on ocean-going ship, in the real world, are never particularly long.
            Surely you don't mean canals like Germany's water bridge, do you?

I know it's only ~0.5Mi long so it can't be the kind of canal you are talking about, right?

All jibes aside, he's right. Transporting ocean-going vessels from city to city in suspended canals is insanly impractical. We have other means of transport that is designed for the ground, we don't need this ability.

Tom P.

Comment

• Originally posted by padillah
              Surely you don't mean canals like Germany's water bridge, do you?
              Wow! I love cool pieces of engineering, and that definitely ranks high in my book. Thanks for the link.

Comment

• So you can limit a canal to just one square: city, canal, water; or water, canal, city, canal, water. It doesn't have to span continents. Sheesh. *rolls eyes*
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• Originally posted by Lord Avalon
                  So you can limit a canal to just one square: city, canal, water; or water, canal, city, canal, water. It doesn't have to span continents. Sheesh. *rolls eyes*
                  That sopunds like a good compromise. Many is the time I've found myself agonising over placing my city with ocean access or within reach of two (or even more) resources.

Now, how to do it?

Tom P.

Comment

• I think if the Pharaohs were less egotistical, we could've put them slaves to digging the Suez canal in whatever B.C.
                    Several pharoahs built canals connecting the red sea to the nile. The suez was a bit far, but connecting the red sea to the great bitter lake and then to the nile was completed and allowed advantaous trade with the med and the indian ocean.
                    By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

• Kc7....aha, more proof that civ needs canals if the Egyptians had them.
                      Padilla...yeah, it would be great if we didn't have to sacrifice resources just to have a port.

Now lets bring back the terraforming feature of converting mountains to hills.
                      .......shhhhhh......I'm lurking.......proud to have been stuck at settler for six years.......

Comment

• Without a doubt, there'll be a tech to let you transform mountains 2 patches before you can enter mountainous terrain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
                          Without a doubt, there'll be a tech to let you transform mountains 2 patches before you can enter mountainous terrain.
                          I have not tried it but I think you can just edit the CIV4TerrainInfos.xml and set the bWater to 0 for the TERRAIN_PEAK type.

Give it a shot and tell me what happens. (I would but I gotta get to bed!)

Tom P.

Comment

• Spying with the spy.

I know other people have covered this in other threads, but I didn't realize how to use a spy to spy until I read it there. You just move the spy to a foreign city, then you can double-click on the city to open it up and look at it as if it was one of yours. Doh!

Comment

• Ah, the ability to move in mountains is easily moddable. Good.
                              Now there's sure to be a user-made patch to allow you to enter mountains as soon as Firaxis lets you change mountains

Comment

• Can we cut a canal through the mountains?
                                I don't know what I've been told!
                                Deirdre's got a Network Node!
                                Love to press the Buster Switch!
                                Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

Working...
                                X