No announcement yet.

What happened to the Other Games games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What also happened over the 60+ games was that players recognised patterns of behaviour from other players, such that if you were a GM you kinda knew what others would do.

Also there was the revenge factor: you killed me game 27 I haven't forgotten, now's my turn to get you. And then there was I know/guess Adagio's is the real killer (he always is) type of thinking, but I 'll kill you first.

Nothing to do with clues, just past experience.
    On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Btw I am happy to give secret voting a chance. just tell me the procedure.

Comment

The way secret voting works really well is when people discuss in the thread either who they voted for (they may lie) or who they think the killer might be, or act in character. For other rules, please see my above quote.
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Hello all. I've been away for far too long, due to ISP problems, but was stunned to see that there wasn't a Mafia game running, or even a sign-up thread. I spent ages writing the Shakespearean Mafia, and was disappointed to learn that few people thought about any of the clues.

Apropos the anonymous voting suggestion, I think the best solution would be for the players to submit their votes to the GM, and for them to be announced only once. So all the players are given a deadline for which their votes should be submitted, and after that the GM announces who has been killed, with the tradition "coin" toss for tied suspects. That way noone knows who has voted, and upon whom the docpile may be. The GM has the right to announce if she/he is away for a few days, and to extend/maintain the deadline. They're the one putting the hard graft in, and should be tolerated if they can't update the story due to work travel/Christmas/Channukah/holidays/whatever. Furthermore, this would allow players time to think about their votes, and allow them to change it at any time up to the deadline given. So you can vote for the obvious suspect/rah (), then actually bother to read the text and think again, submitting an altered selection at any time up to the deadline. This might deter those players who look for clues (among whom I include myself), hoping that other players will be convinced by their reasoning, but the "real" game doesn't have anything of the sort, and so secret voting is far more realistic.

This also cuts down on +1s just for voting, or protesting at people who have voted for you, although there is nothing to prevent you saying that you have voted, truthfully or otherwise. Besides, it's not about +1s any more, although those of us who don't care might wonder if it was ever otherwise. I'm not able to run a game until the middle of December, but if there are enough people who'd like to play then I'm tempted to GM another. I just have to decide on a literary style..... What? Don't run away!

(I maintain that my blank verse Mafia was one of the finest, and am especially proud of the consistency of my verse throughout, but unfortunately I must concede that Jamski's Frankenstein was the perfect literary influence, so wonderfully did it carry the style of the novel. Must do better! )

Comment

Welcome Back 'doy'. Unfortunately times have changed.
            I would support your changes. But there are also fewer people willing to play.
            Last edited by Hercules; November 7, 2008, 09:33.

Comment

Sounds nice duke- sort of like how we ran the assassin game.
              I liked the mafia games that had the stories- there was no point in playing the docpile ones.

Regrettably, Herc is right- Apolyton is dying
              -->Visit CGN!
              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Heya Duke!

If you want to run a Mafia game, go ahead and see who'll show up. You'll probably have a lot fewer than in the past but remember the 1st couple only had 7-8 players.
                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

As for a storyline, BenK, how about a gumshoe detective mystery? Think you can do that?
                  Sure.

Why not do one based on a game of clue?
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
                    Heya Duke!

If you want to run a Mafia game, go ahead and see who'll show up. You'll probably have a lot fewer than in the past but remember the 1st couple only had 7-8 players.
                    And they were better.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
                      Really? Are you going to try to pitch-market it?
                      -
                      Frankly, I think that's what Smiley shoulld have done with society. I wish I'd thought of the game and its rules, because I know my relative can definitely code up everything except for an AI to play against... So the game could theoretically have made money (who knows)... it's like a simpler version of Civ.

(Heck, all the turns were almost automated when I GMed the thing)!
                      hey, if you want to market it, go ahead, I have no intention to myself, it's all open source.
                      Visit First Cultural Industries
                      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Are you still updating 1st Cultural Industries?
                        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Oi. Thank you. The automation program is unlikely to ever be released in any state other than as freeware, but nice to know permission exists if it could be commoditized.
                          -->Visit CGN!

Comment

Bump.
                            -->Visit CGN!

Comment

I'm always up for hosting a gladiator game, but there is no interest.
                              "

Comment

...I would make a vague statement of interest, but the game did not really appeal to me.

I would play society, but not run it at this time.
                                I would also try playing Galactic Overlord.
                                Or a good game of Assassins, but not Mafia.
                                Sorry no Nuclear War... good game, but I beat it once and that was my goal
                                -->Visit CGN!

Comment

Working...
                                X