Console Wars IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some more screenshots of the new 360 UI:

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiglaf

Get a girlfriend. Have you not heard of the Blu Ray? Or metal gear Ray?
      married/already have a blu ray player/don't like metal gear after the first one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
        Is this a console wars thread or a PC thread?

Do you comprehend context at all.
        Im sorry, even in a console thread, saying exclusive Fallout DLC for the 360 would seem to mean exclusive to the 360.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.†Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai

So that is okay with you now, since it's not Nintendo?
          its not just the Mii's it a whole boatload of gimmicky stuff, karaoke SW, pics of happy grandma's.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.†Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

its not just the Mii's it a whole boatload of stuff, including pics of happy grandma's.
            Yes, the pics of grandmothers are relevant here again.

I need to become a mod for this forum.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Yes, the pics of grandmothers are relevant here again.

I need to become a mod for this forum.
              When its Nintendo they are relevant in discussing the Wii's appeal to "real gamers" Evidently what you feared for the 360 is happening.

Comment

When its Nintendo they are relevant in discussing the Wii's appeal to "real gamers" Evidently what you feared for the 360 is happening.
                I don't think the Miis and pictures of grandmothers are on the scale where I need to worry yet. They didn't announce a motion controller so praise Asher for that.

Comment

I don't think the Miis and pictures of grandmothers are on the scale where I need to worry yet. They didn't announce a motion controller so praise Asher for that.
                  if you dont count the motion control microphone for "lips".

Comment

if you dont count the motion control microphone for "lips".
                    I thought it was quite obvious I didn't. It's no different than custom controllers like guitar hero or DDR.

Comment

• Nintendo's conference now.

The first MEGATON. Nintendo discovers AUDIO. The WiiSpeak -- the communal microphone you plant on top of your TV and Wii sensor bar that picks up every ****ing sound in the room rather than a headset microphone picking up mostly voices -- IT'S A FEATURE.

It'll first be used in ANIMAL CROSSING WII!

Comment

• Nintendo insists the size of their catalog is "crushing" everyone else and there's so many great games coming they'll only talk about three. Which then proceded to underwhelm.

Star Wars The Clone Wars: First game focused on is The Close Wars. Trailer being shown. Gameplay looks a bit like Wii Boxing. Comes Holiday 2008. Yeah, there's lightsaber dueling, but ... wow, we would have shown these graphics on a slightly smaller screen, if you know what we mean.

9:38: Rayman Raving Rabbids: TV Party. Uses balance board to "surf the skies". Uses balance board along with controllers to simulate snow rides.

9:39: Call of Duty World At War. FPS. Using Zapper. Co-op Mode confirmed for COD. "Coming Soon"

Comment

• Wii Sports sequel and the new remote peripheral:

9:47: Let me build on the DS idea. You all know what this is: The Wii Remote. Shows off a little accesory that plugs in and turns Wii Remote into a more repsonsive and intense controller. He's showing off the Wii MotionPlus

9:48: We're going to show you how this worthy successor to the remote comes to life. Wii Sports Resort
                          literally "a day at the beach." combines fun in the sun with a variety of activities. Cammie and Bill Trinnen come out to display. One Motion Plus packaged with every Wii Sports Resort. There's also going to be an extended jacket packed in. Showing frisbee, Cammie moving wrist, being reflected on screen. Okay Cammie, just swing your arm to throw the disc.

9:50: It's hard to say without actually playing it but it does look really good, even though Cammie totally borks her toss. Cammie: It's so precise it's picking up my bad wrist action. Reggie points out that her wrist may still be janked up. Bill: Is that the bad wrist or the good wrist? Reggie: I want to show something that's a little more my speed.

9:51: Jet skiing. We had hope the Reg was about to show off an ass kicking game. (Using wii remote and nunchuck to simulated jet skiing handlebars)

9:52: Bill jokes that the game really is more Reggie's speed. They move on to a sword dueling game, which is definitely what we think of when we think of beach sports. Maybe the sword-fighting in the next Red Steel won't suck as much? Reggie takes on Cammie and Cammie goes down!

9:55: (Reggie knocks Cammie off the platform) Reggie: That's why they call me the Reginator! Cammie: Bring it on, baby. (Cammie takes out Reggie ... They high-five) Reggie: Looks like with one match each we have a draw. We may have just seen the birth of the Caminator! We totally think Reggie let her win. Oh, and the games are going to be available on the show floor. (Mild laughter) Reggie back on alone. When you think of Summer Vacation, some things come to mind, and Wii Sports Resort covers those. Right, like sword fighting. But with Wii MotionPlus, many developers are already contemplated what they can do with it. We started with similing faces, and believe there will be more when we release Wii Sports Resort next Spring.

Comment

• And Wii Music, which genuinely looks bloody awful:

9:56: We'd like to introduce one new thing that uses the controller and is sure to create a lot of smiles. New smiles, in fact. (Smoke, bright lights, mysterious music) Stage is darkened as lights strobe. Virtual drumming going on There's a faux-hawked dude playing drums, using balance board and Remote / nunchuck to simulate drumming, using bare feet on balance booard (looks like air dumming). Wow, this is awful. This cat looks like a pro, but the drumming itself sounds a bit of a mess to us.

9:57: this is absolutely an awful showing. (Keith Moon moment of chaos) Shigeru Miyamoto on stage The guy keeps stopping for applause breaks like he's not just a dude waving his arms around. "Blowing" on wii remote to simulate a sax, drummer guy is joining is (Playing jazz with the drummer) Oh, this is WiiMusic by the way. Miis on screen in a groovy jazz atmosphere (Shiggy is grooving)

9:58: wow, this music sucks. (Shiggy getting jiggy? Sorry...) The music they're making is really, really awful. But we're hoping they're just nervous. It's not baby-making music, lets put it that way. (Warm applause). Are they for real with this? Shigeru: I would like to introduce you to Wii Music. (speaking in Japanese with translator) This game is one that we began designing along with Wii Play when we were first finalizing plans for Wii.

10:00: If you want something that everyone in the family can enjoy regardless of age or gener, music is a must. But Wii Music is a slightly different play experience than you've seen with other music games. Now most music games require you to press buttons with precise timing to symbols on screen. But we've designed Wii Music to allow everyone, inclusing those who can't read music to enjoy the experience of playing music. The experience is going to be less "rhythm based" we get the sense Now there's no need to closely follow any notes to play these songs. All that you ahve to do is hold the Wii Remote and moves your hands and body like you would a real instrument, and Wii Music recognizes that and plays the song.

10:01: So iI was just holding the Wii Remote pretending I was playing the sax. Shiggy is explaining that he wasn't actually playing, but rather was PRETENDING to play. For those of you who are familiar, this song is from an F-Zero song. We're grateful to him for clearing that up. In Wii music, you'll be able to play over 50 different instruments. Just like that. For example, the piano. The violin is a slightly more unique instrument. Wow, 50 instruments? Is Nintendo going to beat everyone to the Keytar punch? You hold the strings with left and, and motion of your right hand adjusts the volume. Just like this. Of course guitar you play like you would a real guitar.

10:02: There's a variety of percussion instruments. And of course behind me we have a professional drummer. His name is Robbie Drums. What he's playing a separate mode that uses the Balance Board to create a complete drum simulator. You know those digital pianos that you can program so that whatever note you hit it plays the next correct note in the song, and all you have to do is worry about the timing? That's what we're being reminded of.

10:07: They're doing the mario theme. They're all pretending to have so much fun as they create their off-beat racket that the douche chills have literally elevated off out skin, grown wings and flown to heaven. off our skin. (Mild applause) Tone down douche chills. Reggie and Cammie back on stage.

Last edited by Asher; July 15, 2008, 13:14.

Comment

• And that's it. Wow, Nintendo gaming fans are pissed.

No new real games. No real Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icarus, etc. Just more toy ****.

Comment

• Some uber-nerd's reaction about final fantasy 13:

Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Working...
                                X