No announcement yet.

Deus Ex (Late to the party)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone develops their own preferred play style to this game, and chooses weapons accordingly. Me, I hate both the shotguns and the assault rifle. I tended to carry

Pistol - fully modded with scope, laser sight, recoil mods, and accuracy mods
    Stealth pistol - add a scope to this one, but generally later
    Crossbow - I mod it out, usually second or third after the pistol and sniper rifle, but I pick it up from a terrorist on Liberty Island
    Sniper Rifle - fully modded as possible after the pistol, pick it up from a terrorist on Liberty Island
    GEP Gun - I get this from Paul at the beginning of Liberty Island. I eventually add a scope to it, but it's not really necessary. I use it for anti-bot duties and occasionally anti-door.
    Baton - drop later on
    Riot Prod - usually keep for most of the game
    Sword - once I get this, I use it a lot, only dropping it once I get the upgrade

This doesn't leave a lot of inventory room, but hey. It's pretty much everything I need.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

One potential exploit / loophole worth mentioning.
      If you have a pistol for example, picking up another pistol will just grab the ammo. If you drop your pistol before picking up the new one however, you will get the enemies potentially modded pistol. The further into the game you are, the more likely the weapons being used are modded so this is one cheap way to gain modded weapons.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Wow, that's annoying... it should give you the mods as well! (I assume Deus Ex doesn't have KotOR style modding of weapons, though... does it? IE, pieces you find on the ground that you can swap into weapons, either on the fly or at engineering type stations)
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Seems Gametap is only available in North America.
          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
            Wow, that's annoying... it should give you the mods as well! (I assume Deus Ex doesn't have KotOR style modding of weapons, though... does it? IE, pieces you find on the ground that you can swap into weapons, either on the fly or at engineering type stations)
            Deus Ex mods are unswappable, you use a mod on a weapon and it permanently becomes a part of the gun.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
              The mods in Deus Ex are a small kit that go in your inventory. you drag & drop them onto the weapon you wish to modify, and they become a permanent part of the weapon. Not every weapon can take every mod, and most have a max number of each mod they can take. There are recoil mods that reduce the recoil of the weapon, and (IIRC) you can put up to 5 of them on certain weapons. You can put a silencer on the sniper rifle, but not on the basic pistol.

Comment

The pistol is the all round weapon and is usually first for a scope and increased magazine capacity.
                The x-bow is nice as it shoots underwater - unlike the firearms.
                The assault rifle is handy to take down enemies as the impact stops them shooting back and the 20mm is a great door opener - burns through ammo though. Takes a silencer if you don't take the sniper rifle.
                Sniper rifle benefits from a silencer - kill them before they even know you are there.
                GEP gun for killing bots and groups of enemies (WP is cool!).

I have done the game without the GEP gun and without the sniper rifle. TBH the most essential thing is being able to hack computers and security at the advanced skill level - why fight a bot when you can just turn it off - why tackle a guard when you can reprogram a turret to do it for you?
                Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

The first time I played, I didn't use the heavy weapons. Took a couple of shots with the GEP gun but dropped it immediately. My preferred weapon is the stealth pistol, I mod it out first and it's very good and lethal. I also carry a prod and a crossbow around at all times. Sniper rifle if not using heavy weaponry.

Comment

I really liked the stealth pistol, but the vastly reduced damage compared to the normal pistol is the reason it's a secondary weapon for me. Most human enemies will die to one headshot from the regular pistol, while the majority do not from the stealth pistol. I could live with a couple of points less damage, but 14 vs 8 is pretty drastic.

Comment

is there any point to the flame thrower? it takes much room.

And I assume after the hotel, I should go into the bar and the clinic before dealing with the basketball court? I did that first was that a mistake?
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Christ, I don't even remember a basketball court.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                          is there any point to the flame thrower? it takes much room.

And I assume after the hotel, I should go into the bar and the clinic before dealing with the basketball court? I did that first was that a mistake?
                          The flamethrower looks good but isn't that useful for you. Same with the plasma rifle. If you decide to carry a heavy weapon the GEP gun is the one to go for - and it isn't necessary until you get one on your way out of the secret MJ12 base (although you can pick one up at the airfield).

You can do the basketball court first - I usually do - all that matters is to get the mole people password before you leave Hell's Kitchen. Then the hotel as there is some useful kit to collect in Paul's room. After that I usually trigger the shootout round the corner from the hotel.

At that stage I have a biomod recovered from Castle Clinton to install so I go to the Free Clinic to use a medbot. Then the bar to rescue Sandra Renton and get the password to go see Smuggler. After that go to Smuggler and do the Ford Schick/sewer mission and that's it for the Kitchen and off to the next level.
                          Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
                            **** it. All this talk about Deus Ex has me wanting to fire the game up again.

Last time, probably two+ years ago, I got thru Vandenburg and then ran out of steam.
                            Ditto.

My last run through was about 5 years ago though.

Comment

The flamethrower is good if your heavy weapons skill is good. Enemies on fire can't attack back... the best tactic for most enemies is just a quick press of the trigger. It will set them on fire, they'll run around for a while and die off - you won't need to repeat the process for most enemies, although the flamethrower is kinda ineffective vs. commandos.

I prefer relying on smaller and lighter weapons, though, for when fighting is necessary, while most of the time using lockpicking, security skills and various gadgets to avoid killing.

Comment

When I had a flamethower I'd just use up all it's charges and then toss it. My prefered weapon was the sniper rifle. I'd try to clear out as much of an area as possible before I really did anything.
                                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                                X