Deus Ex (Late to the party)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaShi

Beyond the morals, it's also about making it a bit more challenging for future playing. Knowing that you need to find a way around them, not through them.
    Dunno, I found it challenging enough to knock them out in the second half of the game. Tranq darts become rare and bludgeoning some of the later enemies with the baton isn't exactly easy.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

It's just a different way to play it is all.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Im tending to mainly shoot the NSF. Maybe its party coming from HL. Or that I mainly play very different games like CK or Age of Sail, and I come to this game for a chance to shoot people. Or maybe RL events since the game was released makes the idea of going out of my way to be nonlethal on "terrorists" who have guns and are shooting at me, simply beyond willing suspension of disbelief.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I suggest choosing the way which appeals more to you morally, where applicable. It's a part RPG, not a "dumb shooter" like HL. I don't mean it as anything against HL, they're just different that way.

If shooting the NSF is what you prefer, by all means do so

Comment

At least, by all means do so
            Spoiler:
            so far...

Spoiler:
            One of my all-time favorite gaming moments is when you bust into the hangar and Paul gives you the story. And then you have to decide whether or not to kill the "terrorist" or Navarre...
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
              I suggest choosing the way which appeals more to you morally, where applicable. It's a part RPG, not a "dumb shooter" like HL. I don't mean it as anything against HL, they're just different that way.

If shooting the NSF is what you prefer, by all means do so
              well partly its that when i started the SOL, the non lethal thing, mainly the prod, was just so absurdly ineffective. I used the tranq darts cause theyre cool, and not such a PITA.

Right now Im doing the subway station, and Im kinda stuck. The guy with the flamethrower keeps getting me. Ive tried lots of things, being tactical with the pistol, using the one shot gun (Psomething) tried the fire extinguisher. each time i can get lots of the ordinary guys, but Im always killed by the flamethrower guy (i was less than full health coming into this level)

Hints are acceptable
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                Hints are acceptable
                Well, I assume you have taken out the three guys halfway down the stairway with a grenade. Then you sneak down to where they were and pick up any stuff. The guy with the flamethrower is halfway back on the platform on the left - shoot him with a tranquilliser dart then run back up the stairs and find the alternative way into the station and pick off the rest of the NSF.

As for the prod/baton the way to use it is to sneak up behind enemies whilst crouched and hit them in the small of the back - works every time with the prod - even for the MJ12 commandos you will meet later.
                Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Yeah, the prod is very effective when used right. Sneak up to your enemies using the crouch button and always aim for the small of the back. Most enemies will be knocked out instantly, some will be temporarily paralyzed, but for enough time to let you zap them again.

For the subway station, the alternative entrance is highly useful

Comment

The first time I did that part, I sneaked around through the vents. There are both vents in the ceiling and along the walls at floor level, and I shot from in there.

These days, when I replay the game, I always make sure I get the scope mod from the guy out front of UNATCO HQ. Depending on ammo situation, I either use the scope on the pistol (mod) or the 30.06 sniper rifle (one of the terrorists outside the Statue carries one that I acquire) to just take out the terrorists inside the station from the stairs.
                    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

Way too lethal, tranq darts work fine there. Shoot em, run out, wait for them to drop. I actually prefer putting the scope mod on my crossbow.

Comment

**** it. All this talk about Deus Ex has me wanting to fire the game up again.

Last time, probably two+ years ago, I got thru Vandenburg and then ran out of steam.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

You have finished it though - previously(first time through)?

I couldn't actually stop playing it until completion. For me Dues Ex is the game that is in danger of giving the FPS a bad rap - heck its smart(in the lateral thinking department, not just as in clever bot AI) AND a twitch shooter!

LotM - Yep the flame thrower guys are bad news. sometimes when taking them on it is actually handy to have a fire extinguisher on your person.

After the initial stages it became a large part of the games decision making, just what to have in your inventory at a given time. That made it quite tactical, and there is not one rule either, but it pays to plan ahead(when you are going over that last bit to get back to where you had been stuck).

The endings are well worth doing all of

Comment

Last time, probably two+ years ago, I got thru Vandenburg and then ran out of steam.

To make things worse, that means you were actually almost done

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                              Im tending to mainly shoot the NSF. Maybe its party coming from HL. Or that I mainly play very different games like CK or Age of Sail, and I come to this game for a chance to shoot people. Or maybe RL events since the game was released makes the idea of going out of my way to be nonlethal on "terrorists" who have guns and are shooting at me, simply beyond willing suspension of disbelief.
                              Maybe you are just bloodthirsty and looking for an outlet to your previously contained rage.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

Maybe you are just bloodthirsty and looking for an outlet to your previously contained rage.
                                well of course. Now HL was supposed to be that outlet, but cause of all the jumping puzzles, it just elevated the rage

Comment

Working...
                                X