Deus Ex (Late to the party)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True enough.

There are so many memorable sequences... there are a few games where you always remember your "first time." Deus Ex is one of them.

Deus Ex 2 update: I've made it to Cairo. It's getting a little bit better, the story is starting to pick up a bit. If there is one thing that is consistent with the first game, it's the writing. Gives me hope for the next installment.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike

Serves you right for waiting so long.
      Lets see, in the last couple of weeks we went to Philadelphia for a weekend, threw a sweet sixteen party for POTM, and bought a car. I know its weird, but given that electronic gaming has had to take second place (we did buy some board games for the party, as well as a pair of speakers, and I learned (alongside POTM) all about buying music online (Rhapsody, not Itunes).

But Im back to Deus Ex now.

So I can assume that the card board boxes never have anything of value in them? As opposed to the crates.

Im replaying the later part of Hells Kitchen, as Id gone to quickly through the bar, and then hadnt managed to fully exploit the free clinic. I take it I need to accumulate lock picks to get into the working area of the clinic? I dont have any, though I think I pick one up somewhere around here.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

Im replaying the later part of Hells Kitchen, as Id gone to quickly through the bar, and then hadnt managed to fully exploit the free clinic. I take it I need to accumulate lock picks to get into the working area of the clinic? I dont have any, though I think I pick one up somewhere around here.
        You can get everywhere in the clinic except into the room where the medbots are. If you don't need a medbot - don't bother.

If you do have a biomod to install then go talk to the doctor having an argument with the street person (talk to the street person first). That will get you a discount and if you pay the doctor will give the code to the medical room.

If you don't have the money you are only going to get into that room by using several multitools.

If you want to be a cheapskate then save before purchasing access, note the code and reload your game - then go into the medical room and use the medbot.

Cardboard boxes and rubbish bags don't contain anything of value but sometimes you need to destroy them to get at a crate or something hidden behind them (if there is something there it is usually visible - just difficult to get to).
        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

• so QOTM asked me, is that the same game you were playing before with the weird image of the gun (if youre not used to the visual convention of the FPS, it CAN be a bit disturbing) meaning Half Life. I said no, its different. I wanted to show her something shed like, so I loaded an earlier save on Liberty Island, with the view of the NYC skyline, and the SOL, and all. She wasnt that interested, so I played along from there. I realized there was important booty I missed, including 2 weapons mods.

I trust stuff like this will show up again?

Ive made my way into the "warehouse district" (negs for geographic innaccuracy - first off, the Hells Kitch subway seems to say "18th street" which isnt HK, its Chelsea, HK is in the 50's, and while there are industrial (or by now, former industrial) areas near HK, I dont think any is called "the warehouse district")

Having fun sniping.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• More play, less irrelevant analysis.

Comment

• Yeah, LOTM, don't drag this out too much, you don't want to spend 5 months playing this game

Don't worry about items you missed, there are lots of items that are fairly well hidden... this is one of those games where you can still discover new items or even entire areas on your second or third playthrough.
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike
                More play, less irrelevant analysis.
                Evidently you took the word "sniping" in the wrong sense

I'm done with Hells Kitchen, went back to UNATCO, didnt do anything with the prisoners (couldnt figure out how, frankly) Some folks like that I shot a lot of people up, Sam didnt though. Its kinda kewl that they react to you in light of how you act, but each in their own way. I dont recall even Baldurs Gate quite doing that (well maybe BG2 did) and even Planescape not quite so deftly. So I must say its beginning to gel as an RPG at this point. I picked up the computing skill, which is very handy.

So now Im back at Battery Park.

Comment

• Yeah, in that part, they react differently to you not only in dialogue but also in what they would give you. If I recall correctly, Carter refuses to sell you additional ammo there because you've already been shooting too much for his liking.
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• yup, though Ive been alright for ammo, mainly (there have been a couple of tight spots, but thats cause I was wasteful I think)

Ive made it through the Brooklyn Bridge Station (they seem to mean the NEW station, not the old abandoned in the 1950s one, but Im not sure - still using BBS as the empty station shows a certain flair) the mole tunnels, and now Im in the "unknown" location allegedly near the airfield - and my inventory is pretty full - and health at max - i dropped the Shotgun and knife and have kept the assault gun, sniper rifle, both pistols. Ive also done better work with the prod (including stealing a LAM from Lenny).

I think I'm making decent progress through the game now.

No checking walkthroughs, its more intuitive for me than HL was.

Comment

• You do recall correctly. If you went about it a different way, he gives you ammo you didn't ask for, saying he trusts you'll know when to use it.

Now I may have to dig out the game disk and install it on the new computer. It's been over a year since I last played it, and all this talk is making me want to go through it again.
                      Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

• The helibase section reminds more of Half Life. Turrets, tunnels, swimming to escape, more similar tactical puzzles.

Im having a bit of difficulty crossing the room with the two battle bots. The LAM seems to be helpful, but it only took out one, and my other weapons seem ineffective. I can put on the ballistic armor and simply run for it, but I lose a fair amount of health that way. Id like to see if there's a way to do it without losing quite so much health.

Comment

• You only had one LAM? I seem to recall that there were some EMP grenades in the earlier sections, and at least one scramble grenade before this. Scramble is a temporary solution, but it would get you past one bot. EMP will shut down small bots and damage larger ones.
                          Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
                            The helibase section reminds more of Half Life. Turrets, tunnels, swimming to escape, more similar tactical puzzles.

Im having a bit of difficulty crossing the room with the two battle bots. The LAM seems to be helpful, but it only took out one, and my other weapons seem ineffective. I can put on the ballistic armor and simply run for it, but I lose a fair amount of health that way. Id like to see if there's a way to do it without losing quite so much health.
                            If you did the MJ12 base in the Hells Kitchen sewers you would have picked up a scramble grenade which is handy here. Depending on which route you took to that point there is an EMP grenade stuck to the wall in the corridor (if you went swimming go through the door away from the bots). All you need to do is take out the bot on the right. If you time it properly you can run up the room behind the other bot and duck into the room on the left before it turns around and shoots you.
                            Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quillan
                              You only had one LAM? I seem to recall that there were some EMP grenades in the earlier sections, and at least one scramble grenade before this. Scramble is a temporary solution, but it would get you past one bot. EMP will shut down small bots and damage larger ones.
                              Anyone ever try to take down a large bot with only the sword? I managed to do it once by running in circles closely around it swinging like a madman.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• I've heard of people killing these bots with a knife without any weapon skills. I of course use high explosives.
                                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                                X