• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cal_01

There was a link in your post?
    Sure enough

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
    Civgaming - Builders Primer Early Game

Again the games are almost exclusively won or lost by the strength of the early game.

Also had this link to a thread at Civgaming discussing SE choices

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
    Just going through some golden moldies over at cgn

Someone asked about Pirates

SE Choices Discussion Thread Including some Good Pirate Discussions
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber
      Guys lets chill a bit-- no need for anyone to get worked up here-- lets all stick to content
      Agreed. If I want to raise the level of rancor up a few notchces I visit OT. This OTOH is/was and IMO should always be a nuturing learning environment.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

This OTOH is/was and IMO should always be a nuturing learning environment.
        and i think it will stay that way. I don't think the mods have had to come in here much in the last few years
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Are you saying there is a direct correlation of the depths the level of discourse descends into and the amount of mod participation?

Simple solution really.

Comment

• No problem with me.
            Im not saying anything insulting, at least I didn't intend to.
            -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
            -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Are you saying there is a direct correlation of the depths the level of discourse descends into and the amount of mod participation?

Simple solution really.
              I was thinking that mods not being around was an EFFECT of decent discourse but if you want to say that it is partially the CAUSE, I wouldn't dispute you.
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Also I went to the community forum the other day-- I was amazed at the amount of modf activism in other forums. Someone got banned for calling a mod "clueless" . . . it was Asher, a known troller, but still . . .

For AC forums I'm not even sure there is a mod assigned . . . I see Ming most often but only if someone complains about something

Comment

• For AC forums I'm not even sure there is a mod assigned
                  Yes, that position seems vacant atm.
                  But we're doing well anyway.
                  I think this is a little warm place where you can do some flaming and not be punished..
                  -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

• Originally posted by binTravkin

Yes, that position seems vacant atm.
                    But we're doing well anyway.
                    I think that they just feel they don't need one and experience bears that out. If they wanted one, there are lots of long-term reasonable posters that they could draft pretty quickly

Originally posted by binTravkin

I think this is a little warm place where you can do some flaming and not be punished..
                    Very mild-- I don't want that crap in here-- If you want that type of posting go to OT where its par for the course until it goes too far and a mod gets involved

Comment

• Very mild-- I don't want that crap in here-- If you want that type of posting go to OT where its par for the course until it goes too far and a mod gets involved
                      Are you all so screwed up here?

While you admitted (did you?) that you had fun in that Blockhead's thread, now you call it crap.

Anyways, just was just a joke, hence the smiley, but nevermind.

Comment

• I was quick enough
                        He was asking what the A: 43 | D: 99 | M: 21 | HP: 13 values mean and how they're derived.
                        DAMMIT !
                        Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Sure enough

Also had this link to a thread at Civgaming discussing SE choices
                          Oooh, that one. I read the civgaming guides several times already. I thought you were referring to something else.

Comment

• For most factions I Like free market untill I have completed my early beeline, then I switch to planned to build and grow. Later after most early facilities and SPs are in and base size is up, and I am not at war, I like to switch back to FM for a burst of research and to generate the first eco-pop, and switch back to planned to build Tree farms/hybrid forest and more SPs, and then go green.
                            Last edited by Lefty Scaevola; July 14, 2005, 15:50.
                            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

• Originally posted by binTravkin

Are you all so screwed up here?

While you admitted (did you?) that you had fun in that Blockhead's thread, now you call it crap.

Anyways, just was just a joke, hence the smiley, but nevermind.

Nope-- my fun in the blockhead thread was because he was so far over the top to be ridiculous-- so I found it funny-- I far prefer though that most threads don't go that way

Comment

• Originally posted by cal_01

Oooh, that one. I read the civgaming guides several times already. I thought you were referring to something else.
                                Fair enough. After reading this tho', you still advocate planned over FM in the early game, even for builder factions?

I'ld be interested to understand further the rationale as most of the rationale you've used to date talk to mid game gambits.

Are you not ICS'sing freely enough?

Your previous mentions of going on the offensive circa Impact weapons/Doctrine:mobility strikes me mightily of momentum gambits as opposed to builder or even hybrid approach.

Granted thats a fun way to do a game and might I suggest a try or two using land transports and 4-1-1 infantry (allows fast build of an army) but it does not fit the builder motif.

Comment

Working...
                                X