No announcement yet.

NFL 2014 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guynemer, this is not some clear-cut thing and has generated controversy precisely because millions of Americans do the same thing to their children.

Look at these articles; the titles alone show that corporal punishment is a 'debate', not the clear-cut abuse you believe it to be.

Adrian Peterson case brings scrutiny to child spanking
    A good whuppin: Adrian Peterson child abuse case raises old debate

There was a ritual to whuppin’s, and many of that generation talk with a kind of bravado about this rite of passage to adulthood. They tell tales of out-of-body experiences, of spiritual epiphanies, of praying to God, of the art of tearful fakery, of agonizing defiance against belts, of loyalty among siblings and not breaking rank, of the time so bad a parent broke a switch on a child’s soft flesh. And they speak always of the wrong they committed and why they deserved it.

Spankings make up neighborhood legends and family folklore, comical and sincere. They connect folks, haunt them, set them up to wrestle over what they will do with their own children.
    "By the the time they reach adolescence, 85 percent of the nation's children will have been, at one point or another, spanked," Dr. Alan Kazdin, a psychologist at Yale University told ABC News. The figure comes from a 2003 study in which Kazdin investigated the use of spanking in disciplining children.

And between 70 percent and 90 percent of Americans admit to using some form of physical force when disciplining their kids, according to Southern Methodist University psychology professor George Holden.
    Parents in every state can legally hit their child as long as the force is "reasonable."

Coporal punishment is also allowed in schools in 19 states, including Texas, according to the Center for Effective Discipline.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Nothing you posted contradicts anything I posted.

"My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Big difference between a spanking and a beating that draws blood and leaves bruises that last more than a week.

This was a 4-year old. FOUR.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I never had corporal punishment used against me so obviously I think it makes monsters out of people.
          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
            Guynemer, this is not some clear-cut thing and has generated controversy precisely because millions of Americans do the same thing to their children.

Look at these articles; the titles alone show that corporal punishment is a 'debate', not the clear-cut abuse you believe it to be.

Adrian Peterson case brings scrutiny to child spanking
            A good whuppin: Adrian Peterson child abuse case raises old debate
            Pretty sure I can come up with headlines on other subjects that are called a "debate" by people who are just denying reality.
            "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• How many children do you have again, Guy? I forget.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Well, I can't say I'm surprised given how awful we played. Our defense was flat, then winded, then mentally out of it. Gates was masterful today, all the best to him. I have to believe that we've never played a game in the heat and we were wholly unprepared for that.
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                  How many children do you have again, Guy? I forget.
                  The two thousand I see in my practice.
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                    The two thousand I see in my practice.
                    But how many do you have the legal right to abuse?

Comment

• Well, I can't say I'm surprised given how awful we played. Our defense was flat, then winded, then mentally out of it. Gates was masterful today, all the best to him. I have to believe that we've never played a game in the heat and we were wholly unprepared for that.
                      Wasn't as close as the score showed. Harvin's first TD wasn't a TD. Glad we gave you an asswhooping. Chargers are back baby. Pity they lost to Arians in week one in a totally winnable game. They'd be sitting pretty 2-0 beating two damn tough teams.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Trying to justify corporal punishment to a pediatrician is never going to work.

My parents beat me (at times with hangers). Cris Carter is right - they were wrong. It has taken me quite a while to really respect my folks because of what they did to me. It was unnecessary. I know plenty of people who were not hit for discipline (my girlfriend among them), who know right from wrong and didn't need to be beaten to know it.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Chicago taking the lead is justice, I suppose, for the jobbing they got from the refs in the first half. And what can I say, I like seeing SF lose.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
                            Chicago taking the lead is justice, I suppose, for the jobbing they got from the refs in the first half.

Kyle Fuller!!!

Comment

• Impressive. 17-0 comeback. Kaepernik shows why scramblers will never make an impact on the NFL.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• The first half was the team I thought we would see and the second half was the team I hoped we would see.

Comment

Working...
                                X