No announcement yet.

NFL Football - 2012 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm pretty sure 2013 is the year Gruden will move back into coaching. Some nice opportunities will be opening up.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
      Because he has eight children?
      I believe he's up to 12 now.
      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
        I'm pretty sure 2013 is the year Gruden will move back into coaching. Some nice opportunities will be opening up.
        I recommend saving a link to that post so you can copy and paste it in next year. Maybe a mail-merge spreadsheet?
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Consensus seems to be that San Diego and Philadelphia will be looking for a new coach next year....any other prime candidates?

I think NY Jets should be a contender for a new coach, but I didn't have high expectations for the Jets this year anyway, and they have exceeded my low expectations already. Not sure that anyone else comes to mind as having a team that isn't meeting expectations.
          "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• SD, Philly, Dallas, KC, all almost certain. Several others, including NYJ, are distinct possibilities. CAR is certainly a possibility as well.

Comment

• NFL head coaches likely and/or deserving to be fired - in no particular order:

AFC
              Buffalo - Chan Gailey
              NY Jest (not a typo) - Rex Ryan
              Cleveland - Pat Shurmur
              Jacksonville - Mile Mularkey
              Tennessee - Mike Munchak
              Kansas City - Romeo Crennel
              Oakland - Who the hell is coaching Oakland?
              San Diego - Norv Turner
              NFC
              Carolina - Ron Rivera
              Dallas - Jason Garrett
              Philadelphia - Andy Reid
              Arizona - Ken Whisenhunt
              Detroit - Jim Schwartz

So my list is 13, and I expect at least 10 or 11 of these to be gone.
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Dallas has been decimated by injuries this year. I doubt Garrett will be leaving.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Injuries or no, Dallas has looked terrible this year.
                  Jerry Jones is not known for his patience, so I've got to put Garrett on the list.

Comment

• Schwartz is certainly safe, and I have read that Shurmur is also considered safe for 2013 (though who knows past that). Dennis Allen is safe, he's only been there a year, and Al Davis is dead... Personally I don't think Whisenhunt will be fired, he's done well considering his QB situation through no fault of his own is a disaster.

Munchak and Mularkey are both possible; neither has had very long with the team, though, and both have personnel issues at QB in particular that make it hard to fault them for their teams' performance.

Chan Gailey should be fired, but I'm not sure he will be. But he's been around long enough, perhaps they'll make that change.

Garrett is about 75% gone IMO. Jerry Jones can't blame himself, so he has to blame someone, and Garrett hasn't done a whole lot with a fairly talented team that doesn't look like it's trying very hard anymore. DAL has been embarrassed at home once too many times this year, I fear...

Comment

• Interesting article on "Bleacher Report" on this topic:
                      [link]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1420728-nfl-hot-seat-update-gauging-every-head-coach-after-week-12#/articles/1420728-nfl-hot-seat-update-gauging-every-head-coach-after-week-12[/link]
                      "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• I agree that the first-year coaches might get a pass, and a couple more might survive in the name of "continuity."

On what possible basis is Schwartz safe? He has embarrassed them on national TV two years running, cost them a game by not knowing the (stupid) challenge rule, and his team is consistently underperforming. They're firmly in last place (4-7, with a loss to Tennessee and two losses to Minnesota). Unless Detroit runs the table and somehow sneaks into the playoffs, he should IMHO be gone.

Comment

• Actually, Norv still needs to lose one more to lose his job. Chargers still have control over their destiny with the loss by the Steelers.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Norv is done. Even if they DO make the playoffs. Even if they make the playoffs and win a game. He'd have to win the AFC Championship, at least, and there's zero chance of that.

Schwartz is certainly at risk, but he's safe for 2012 I think. I agree with Sparrow's article that he's going to be on the hot seat more next year. One bad year is ... acceptable, generally; but two is not. You don't want to just fire a coach for one year, because you lose continuity and you lose effectiveness when you do; unless you're in an Ozzie Guillen type situation, anyway. You fire him if he has proven he can't win, and one bad season doesn't do that.

Comment

• I really don't see Mike Munchak getting fired. Bud Adams is not quick to fire his coaches and Munchak has been part of that Oilers/Titans organization far too long to have a short leash. This is his consecutive 31st year!

Loyalty is rare in the NFL but I can't fathom Bud Adams only giving Munchak two seasons to prove himself as a head coach. You don't do that to your Hall of Famer who is on his 4th decade working for you.
                              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Wow, Drew Brees had a ****ty day!

Though not sad to see it. Falcons
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X