No announcement yet.

NFL Football - 2012 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 49ers have really good lines and linebackers. The weak link is the secondary, but Campbell had little time to exploit it. The Saints are a tougher matchup for us.
    And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

• My biggest complaint was that there were two quarterbacks starting their first game of the year and only one of them looked like they had been prepared for it. Granted the 49ers made it difficult but still. It didn't look like the 49ers had to dumb down the offense to accommodate their newb. With Cutlers history and the bears offensive line, maybe our backup should have had a few more reps with the first team prior to this week.
      The first 20 minutes was unbelievable to watch.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Would not have made any difference. 49ers defense played great.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• That still doesn't make it not a failing of our coaching staff. And it might have made a slight difference. I doubt enough though
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• There is no doubt that the Bears were outcoached last night -- and out-executed, and outplayed. But saying Campbell should have had some first-team reps previously sounds like hindsight. Remember, the Bears were installing (another) new offense this year and, judging by their execution the first 10 weeks, Cutler needed all the reps he could get...
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• No it sounds more like common sense. How many starting quarterbacks have misses a game this year? If Cutler had made it all the way through last season, I might see your point. Considering how bad last year ended, you think they might have learned something. You spend THAT much for a back up quarterback, you should at least make sure he's ready to step in. I'll concede that he needed more than a few more reps. It wouldnt have been so bad if the the newb playing for the them hadn't looked so ready.
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I had a heated discussion at my job about Jay Cutler. The way I, and someone else sees it, Jay Cutler makes no sense.

The Bears are an elite team with him and look like garbage without him. The argument from someone else is that this means he's an elite QB.

But there's just no way Cutler is elite.

We've seen this paradox before. Atlanta Falcons Vick was pretty bad but the Falcons were a terrible team with him out but playoff contenders with him. Last year, the Broncos were terrible with Orton but somehow caught fire with Tebow who wasn't even mediocre by traditional measures.

How?

Is it just as simple as saying, like the guy at my job did, that Cutler is, ergo, elite?

But how can you watch him play and think he is elite? How can you look at his stats and say he is elite? By what measure is he even in consideration and anything more than a barely above average QB?

Somehow this QB who looks the world like a just above average QB has demonstrated over the past two seasons that he is the most necessary cog in the Bears', not simply offense, but entire gameplan; the clear-cut most valuable player to this franchise.

But how?
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• the clear-cut most valuable player to this franchise.

But how?
                  Chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. There's a far greater marginal benefit in shoring up the weakest link.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• The only other thing I can think of besides a 'Tebow Effect' is that Cutler is the only QB on that team who can play behind that offensive line. He's the only one who knows how to make due.
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                      But how can you watch him play and think he is elite? How can you look at his stats and say he is elite? By what measure is he even in consideration and anything more than a barely above average QB?

Somehow this QB who looks the world like a just above average QB has demonstrated over the past two seasons that he is the most necessary cog in the Bears', not simply offense, but entire gameplan; the clear-cut most valuable player to this franchise.

But how?
                      I look at him and think he can be elite with the right people around him, which he has not had during his time in the league. Right now the biggest lack is the offensive line. They have the RB's and WR's if they can keep them healthy. No, he is not elite now. And if Bears brass doesn't make changes soon, he may never get there.

And yes, JR, Bears got outplayed and outcoached terribly Monday night. I figured low scoring on both sides but no Bears defense. Kudo's to Harbaugh for having his team ready.

Comment

• So, if I am understanding the rule correctly, the touchdown play can not be reviewed PRECISELY BECAUSE the Lions wanted it reviewed.

WHAT IN THE ****ING **** SORT OF SENSE DOES THIS MAKE?

WHAT THE ****, SERIOUSLY. THAT IS THE MOST ****ING STUPID THING I'VE EVER HEARD. THAT IS SOME GEORGE ORWELL 1984 WAR IS PEACE ****.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• ...now forever known as the the "screw the Lions" rule.

I'm still trying to figure out how Houston retained possession on that punt play in the first quarter. Had the sound off, so no clue what the ruling was, but it sure looked like a blown call that didn't get fixed.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                            ...now forever known as the the "screw the Lions" rule.
                            Which is stupid, because one hardly needs a special rule for that to happen; you only need the patience to allow them to screw themselves.
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• ...as we have seen about 4-5 times today.

But wait! Schaub counters the Pettigrew fumble-after-catch with an OT INT... HOW CAN DETROIT AVOID WINNING THIS TIME???

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                                HOW CAN DETROIT AVOID WINNING THIS TIME???
                                Missed field goal

Comment

Working...
                                X