NFL Football - 2012 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    Yeah, go ahead and draft Eli ahead of Brees.
    No I would never do that. But would I consider drafting a MJD over Brees then getting Eli? Yeah.

Plus, as you ALWAYS seem to have trouble comprehending, fantasy football is not real life.

I'm not saying Eli is better than Brees. He's not. But as good as Brees is, he sort of is a super-game manager. That's just fine and I actually prefer such efficient QB's but Eli's not far off in the positives he brings to a team; the difference in playstyle, though, lends to the perception that the gap between the two QB's is bigger than it is.

The fact of the matter is, they play in the same conference and in equally tough divisions (though the NFC East has been a lot tougher over the past half-decade than the NFC South has) but Eli's the one with two Super Bowl rings. It's not that the Giants are really a better team than the Saints, either. Last year, the Giants had no ground game and a crappy defense beyond the front four, yet Eli still orchestrated a SB win.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• I'm not saying Eli is better than Brees. He's not. But as good as Brees is, he sort of is a super-game manager. That's just fine and I actually prefer such efficient QB's but Eli's not far off in the positives he brings to a team; the difference in playstyle, though, lends to the perception that the gap between the two QB's is bigger than it is.
      Uh, among the tops QBs, there's everyone else and then there's Eli. Eli is closest to folks like Stafford, not Brees, etc. You'd be better off with Tony Romo than Eli.

Eli's the one with two Super Bowl rings.
      Yes, and the Giants won because it was a total fluke.

Last year, the Giants had no ground game and a crappy defense beyond the front four, yet Eli still orchestrated a SB win.
      There were 12 teams with a superior record.

On point differential the Giants were -6.

They were 9th on Offensive Points.

The Giants were the first and only team ever to win the superbowl with a negative point differential. Weakest superbowl champion ever.

You guys won because of a cointoss.

The closest thing to something the Giants did well is with Y/C - meaning that Victor Cruz is why you guys won a championship.
      Last edited by Ben Kenobi; August 4, 2012, 20:56.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        Yeah, go ahead and draft Eli ahead of Brees.

Career Y/A = 7.4 Brees
        Career Y/A = 7.0 Eli
        Career Y/A = 8.0 Rivers
        Career Y/A = 8.2 Rodgers
        Career Y/A = 7.5 Brady
        Career Y/A = 8.0 Roethlisberger
        Career Y/A = 8.0 Romo

One of these things is not like the others.
        One of these things just doesn't belong...

Clearly Eli is the dink and dunk passer.

IDIOT!!!!

Check completion percentage.

The Y/C numbers are a lot different than the Y/A's because Eli completes less of his passes but they go for more. When Brees and Brady are completing 70+% of their passes, they get high Y/A numbers! Let me break it down because you're mathematically challenged, it seems.

QB A: 10 for 12 for 100 yards = 8.33 Y/A
        QB B: 7 for 14 for 100 yards = 7.14 Y/A

But who probably threw deeper? QB A's 100 yards came off of 10 completions while B's came off of only 7. Evidently, QB B's passes went further. Yet his Y/A is lower! See how Y/A is a function of completion percentage?

Eli's Y/C = 12.0
        Brees Y/C = 11.3

Duh
        Last edited by Al B. Sure!; August 5, 2012, 08:34.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Yes, and the Giants won because it was a total fluke.
          Flukes must happen twice in 4 years against the freaking Patriots of all teams, including the 2007 Patriots, possibly the greatest team to ever set foot on the field! Yeah. Fluke

Victor Cruz is why you guys won a championship.
          An undrafted pseudo-rookie out of UMass with an un-notable college career... Victor Cruz is good but let's get real. It's Eli that makes him great.

There's a reason why the Giants have had a different leading WR every year for the past 5 years or so.

Just like Peyton can make guys like Collie, Garcon, and Tamme come out of nowhere to look like stars, Eli has been doing the same for years.

Giants' leading WR's:
          2007: Plaxico
          2008: Domenik Hixon
          2009: Steve Smith
          2010: Hakeem Nicks
          2011: Victor Cruz

It also applies to the TE position... lose Shockey, Boss comes out like a star, lose Boss, Ballard comes out like a star...

Do you really think the Giants have been that lucky to keep finding gems, including undrafted ones, every year? And then when they move on to other teams, they disappear like Smith and Boss did?

There's a much more sensible answer. It's Eli.
          Last edited by Al B. Sure!; August 5, 2012, 08:45.

Comment

• You might want to delete that sentence about the TE position, Alby. Not one of those guys has ever been elite under Eli.

They may have performed better than their skill level under Eli, but the word "star" should not be associated with any of them. Even Shockey, a beneficiary of media hype who never again matched his 2002 rookie year totals (74/894) under Eli (or for that matter, in NO with Brees). Never again caught 70, reached 700 yards only one more time, and has averaged a modest 3.7 TDs/year in a 10-year career. Of course, injuries play a role in that. Fun fact: Jeremy Shockey has never played in all 16 games of any NFL season.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Boss and Ballard both well exceeded their expectations as players while having Eli throwing to them. That's my point. Eli elevates the level of play of his receivers.

Comment

• I don't disagree that Eli elevates his receivers, including TE. I like Eli.
                But saying "...came out like a star" in reference to pluggers like Boss and Ballard is IMHO a bit hyperbolic.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I went out to Bourbonnais today (with PJ) for Bears training camp. They looked prietty good, but hard to tell this early in season. Once again, no Urlacher practicing. Hope he is good to go before season starts.

Comment

• Shut up Al, you ****ing traitor to Philly. Good god you're insufferable
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• And wipe your chin while you're shutting up.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Hey Ben, how bout that Kevin Kolb? So talented and not injury prone!

Comment

• The Y/C numbers are a lot different than the Y/A's because Eli completes less of his passes but they go for more. When Brees and Brady are completing 70+% of their passes, they get high Y/A numbers! Let me break it down because you're mathematically challenged, it seems.
                          Y/A also looks at how far the balls go when they are actually thrown. Eli's had one year where he has had a good Y/A, and that was last year.

I attribute that to his receivers like Cruz, stepping up and hauling in the passes.

There's a much more sensible answer. It's Eli.
                          Careerwise, he had his jump up last year. If it were Eli, shouldn't we be seeing similar results from Y/A year after year? We do. Then we have his jump up last year. That to me suggests that it's not Eli, it's actually Cruz.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• If this was about 3 years ago, the Seahawks would look sick right now. Sidney Rice, TO, Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, Zach Miller...

But who was QB?

Comment

• Hasselbeck, at least for part.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                                Hasselbeck, at least for part.

I mean who will play QB for them? Tarvaris Jackson is still getting first-team reps.

The Seahawks are rapidly turning into the All-Washout team.
                                Last edited by Al B. Sure!; August 6, 2012, 18:45.

Comment

Working...
                                X