College Football 2013 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ming View Post
    Yeah, that win would probably have given them a chance for a national title, unlike what will probably happen this year if OSU and Florida win. Totally meaningless...
    1. Florida State and Ohio State are the only two teams still standing who have earned a shot at the national title this year. You play to go undefeated. It's not an injustice if Auburn wins out and is denied a shot at the title.

2. Under a playoff system, losing to Auburn might actually have helped Alabama; they're still in the top 4 and don't have to risk another loss in the SEC Championship Game. Will be interesting to see how harshly the selection committee will treat teams that don't win their own conference.
    I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
      I think he is referring to Bama's loss being meaningless to them, since they would likely be in the playoff.

Which would be rectified by making the playoff conference champs only.
      QFT

I don't think the selection committee will have the stones to limit the playoff to conference champs, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
        In light of the shooting between Alabama fans where the cause was "not taking the loss seriously enough", i think anything that defrays that kind of meaning is good.

YOU PLAY TO WIN SO YOUR INSANE FANS DON'T MURDER EACH OTHER.

Comment

• Stewart Mandel's take on this issue....

I thought I was the only one who realized that the Auburn-Alabama classic would be almost meaningless to fans of other teams in the playoff system until Rece Davis made that very point on ESPN. No one is going to get excited over seeding. I hope college football fans enjoyed the suspense and drama of this regular season, because they clearly didn't know what they had when they ditched it for a playoff.
          -- J.D. Bolick, Lincolton, N.C.

That's a bit melodramatic. In next year's system, the Iron Bowl would have been far from meaningless and the ending no less exciting. But there's no question the stakes would have been lower. Auburn would have kept itself alive in the playoff hunt, while Alabama would have hurt its chances, but it'd still be very much in the mix. That's the tradeoff we're making with the new system. It creates an opportunity to settle the Ohio State/SEC champion debate on the field rather than over the airwaves. Selection controversy moves down the ladder a couple of spots, where the excluded teams aren't as deserving in the first place. In turn, however, if that same exact game ended in the same exact fashion in 2014, the single biggest reason it was so significant -- season-long favorite Alabama was eliminated from national title contention (barring the Armageddon scenario detailed above) in the span of 14 seconds -- would no longer be an element.

Comment

• Not impressed with the Sarkisian hire for USC. Better than Kiffin? Well, of course. But Pat Haden seems desperate to recapture the glory of the Peter Carroll era by hiring his former assistants. Granted, Sark definitely improved things at Washington. But considering they went 0-12 the year before he was hired, the only way for them to go was up. And that up resulted in a few 7-6 seasons, with this season being his best at 8-4. Again, that's good, but hardly the elite level that USC fans are expecting. And I think a lot of players are going to have bad feelings over Orgeron's departure under the circumstances.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• It was smart of Nebraska not to can Pelini this year; no need to make a rash and stupid decision like Illinois in a bad year to hire a coach. Hopefully Oregon's minor backslide will mean that Scott Frost is still available next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
                Not impressed with the Sarkisian hire for USC. Better than Kiffin? Well, of course. But Pat Haden seems desperate to recapture the glory of the Peter Carroll era by hiring his former assistants. Granted, Sark definitely improved things at Washington. But considering they went 0-12 the year before he was hired, the only way for them to go was up. And that up resulted in a few 7-6 seasons, with this season being his best at 8-4. Again, that's good, but hardly the elite level that USC fans are expecting. And I think a lot of players are going to have bad feelings over Orgeron's departure under the circumstances.
                Yeah, they biffed it pretty good. I'm not crying any tears.
                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain ******* Kirk View Post
                  It was smart of Nebraska not to can Pelini this year; no need to make a rash and stupid decision like Illinois in a bad year to hire a coach. Hopefully Oregon's minor backslide will mean that Scott Frost is still available next year.
                  I don't suppose I could interest you in a slightly-used Al Borges?
                  "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Going to have to say "no" to that...

Comment

• So this first half of the SEC Championship is ridiculously entertaining. 28-27 Auburn.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• All conference champs would be amazing. I would love to see that. 8 conferences 3 games knockout to win the championship. Seeding based on ranking.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Okie Light loses, Baylor wins. Just need a Mizzou win and tOSU loss and Baylor's in the national championship.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Down goes tOSU! FSU stands alone!

Where's our resident Michigan man? Surely he must be watching this!

Comment

• Looks like Auburn vs. Florida State.

War Eagle!
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Still say it should be Baylor vs FSU. That would be a helluva match.

Baylor vs FSU National Championships.
                                MSU vs Stanford Rose Bowl
                                tOSU vs UCF Fiesta
                                Aubrun vs Clemson Orange
                                Bama vs Oklahoma

Comment

Working...
                                X