Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one is exactly saying that AP is Barry, but his DVOA is so low to a good measure because of Barry-like attributes (loss of yards or short gains on too many early downs and high ability to break a big gain)
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Also, he's on a team that only runs (had basically no ability to pass). Facing 8 or 9 men in the box regularly means a much lower rushing total, and I don't think DVOA takes that into account.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

DVOA will never be a perfect statistic; for all the value it has, it fails to understand how many defenders are keyed on stopping Peterson on each snap and the amount of work he has to go through to get the yardage he does
        I'd take that "overrated" AP guy on my team every time. Wiith Favre and an improved receiving corps, any team that stacks the box consistently wil pay a big price. And against a standard front, Peterson's potential is huge. Pick your poison.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

He's a good RB, don't get me wrong, but 9 fumbles is a concern. Even with 1700 yards, the fumbles take about 450 yards off the total. That plus the fact that he doesn't get many receptions puts him in the 1250 or so total yardage, which isn't all that much in my book.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

APete is a game-changer. Defenses have to gameplan for him. That's what's important.

Sure, fumbles are a concern (BTW, only 4 were turnovers). But as we saw with Tiki Barber, that is an issue that can be fixed. As opposed to mediocre talent with no fumbles, which has a very limited upside.

BTW, word is that his number of receptions will increase this year.

Question: From which bodily orifice did you pull that ridiculous "9 fumbles = a loss of 450 yards" crapola?
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Fumbles are a huge negative and they are game changers too. AP is a game changer but not always in a positive way.

Football outsiders penalises AP for -350 effective yards due to the fumbles.
              Last edited by Ben Kenobi; September 1, 2009, 17:18.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

A fumble lost is roughly equivalent to 50 yards of field position [not only do you lose some yards that you might have gained in future carries, but you also could have punted for 40 or so yards net]. However, Ben is ignoring that last bit ('lost').

Comment

Recoveries are entirely random. Fumbles are not.

Comment

Why exactly would you penalize a player on total yardage for fumbles his teams regained... as all it resulted in was the same as a tackle?
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Ben's right, that fumbles lost vs fumbles recovered is totally random. However, he fails to understand my point. 50 yards is what a fumble lost is worth; you lose about 55% of fumbles; so a fumble (lost-agnostic) is worth about 27 yards. 9 fumbles lost = 250 yards.

Comment

Ben's right, that fumbles lost vs fumbles recovered is totally random. However, he fails to understand my point. 50 yards is what a fumble lost is worth; you lose about 55% of fumbles; so a fumble (lost-agnostic) is worth about 27 yards. 9 fumbles lost = 250 yards.
                        Point taken.

Comment

Why exactly would you penalize a player on total yardage for fumbles his teams regained... as all it resulted in was the same as a tackle?
                          Regained fumbles have absolutely no place when evaluating the merits of a running back.

Comment

I would note that DVOA penalizes a fumble between -1.7 and -4 based on the likelihood of recovery in that situation; comparably, a 12 yard loss is -1.8. So it sounds like the FO folk don't penalize a fumble quite as much as Ben would, more like 12 to 25 yards rather than 27.8 or 50. I don't know what the situations specifically are nor what the negative score is on average.

Comment

Minnesota Vikings Cheerleaders: The official source of the latest Vikings Cheerleaders photos, news, videos, headlines, appearances and information

Does any team have as many rough cheerleaders?
                              I'm a fan of redheads, but all the 'kings cheerleaders are.... er, not to my taste.
                              Yikes! I can only hope the team are better, which is highly unlikely.

Comment

Holy crap! There are some real howlers in there.

woof! woof!
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X