NHL Playoff Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong-- Ericksson went through waivers
    Well I rescind my comment then. I was unaware Ericksson went through waivers. I really don't care if they bring up 30 players so long as there is some deterrent to doing so. Having to put these players through waivers at one point or another is an effective deterrent, because you increase the exposure of your prospects.

That being said, I don't have much sympathy for Calgary. Had they not taken their deadline deal, they would have been just fine. I really don't know what Sutter was thinking.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Actually I thought last nights game was relatively exciting. The Blues hit the post something like 3 times.
      That matches what I heard as well. I didn't get to watch the game, but I heard that Mason stood on his head in the first and second period and that the Canucks had many, many chances.

I am becoming convinced that Luongo's awareness of where he is in the net is so very very good that perhpas he knows to protect the net but not the post. He is playing so very well that I am freaking in awe of him.
      Best Canuck goaltending I've seen, although I didn't get to see King Richard.

The Canucks otherwise? OK but not exactly massively impressive. defensively they just collapse down and let Luongo be Luongo while they block shots. Sometimes it looks like a shooting gallery out there. Offensively they have had some good flashes but not very much sustained pressure. Overall a good team but not a great one so far. But they win--- It will be interesting if Luongo continues his mastery once they hit the road-- IN the regular season he was markedly better at home IIRC.
      I'm confident, because they are doing things well that most Canuck teams haven't. They have shown the ability to kill off penalties, and to protect a lead. I keep wondering is this how it felt to be an Oilers fan in the 80's, to have the confidence that you just know they are going to win?
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop with Osgood, much like every hockey fan everywhere, but maybe we're all wrong. Let's face it: Ozzy was incredible in last year's playoffs, and it looks like he's picked up right where he left off. Maybe he's just one of those players who goes absolutely ape**** once April rolls around.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Lucic suspended
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Canucks go up 3-0.

If the Ducks win and the Hawks win, we'll get the Hawks in round two. I so hope the Ducks can close out their series.

Comment

You guys seen Roger Millions say "********er" on TV yet? Amazing ineptitude at Sportsnet.

Shoalts: Several culprits on blooper

Just wanted to do a follow-up to Tim Wharnsby's report on the flap surrounding Roger Millions' slip-up on Rogers Sportsnet last week. There were many more culprits in this besides Millions, beginning with a deceptive practice common in the television industry.

Millions and the network were embarrassed when he slipped up during a report and let loose with a vulgar word that made it on the air because a long list of people were asleep at the switches.

The problem started with a television practice called “look live.” This is when an item is taped but in a manner that makes it appear the reporter is speaking live from his particular location, in this instance the United Centre in Chicago during the NHL playoff series between the Blackhawks and the Calgary Flames. The host of a panel show introduces Millions as if he is speaking live, although all that happens is a tape starts rolling, which makes this faux pas especially egregious.

Millions did break a cardinal rule in broadcasting by being careless about what he said near a microphone. But this was not a hanging offence because he knew the item was being taped and edited. The trouble is, no one up the line did their jobs properly.

The next culprit was the camera man, who was responsible for cutting the tape and sending it to Sportsnet. Rather than erase the offensive bit, as Millions thought he would do, the entire tape was sent.

At the studio, whoever received the tape did not bother to check it completely. Presumably there was an editor who saw it next to prepare the item for broadcast and this person failed to catch it, too. And there must have been a producer in the studio who also failed to review the report as well.

But all anyone ever heard was that Millions was kept off the air for a few days. There are lots of other people who should be cooling their heels at home for this one, including the person who first dreamed up the chicanery of the “look live” broadcast.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Fun fact: Flames are 9-19-4 since the lockout when Robyn Regehr isn't in the lineup for the Flames.

This is why they won't make it out of the first round.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Flames actually win one.

2-1.

No sweep!

Kane had the "flu", where "flu" means pussywhipped by the physical play and too sore to play.

Comment

!!!

Ben Kenobi spotted at a Canucks game.

Comment

Erm, no.

Canucks sweep!

So far the list of teams advancing is:

1. Vancouver

Comment

Sharks won a game.
                        Three to go.
                        And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

I have to imagine St Louis fans are more than a bit upset by the ref's ****up on the go-ahead goal last night.

Vancouver caught a huge break there, not that they would've lost the series anyway at that point. But it certainly gave them the game.

Comment

I have to imagine St Louis fans are more than a bit upset by the ref's ****up on the go-ahead goal last night.
                            There was a huge scrum in front of the net. The ref had no clue what was going on at all. The ref is supposed to wave the play dead when the puck is lost, not to mention the fact that the goal judge didn't see it either.

Vancouver caught a huge break there, not that they would've lost the series anyway at that point. But it certainly gave them the game.
                            Canucks have had go-ahead goals disallowed too.

Comment

Not reading that post, don't need to. You're the biggest homer ever, Ben. The rules apply or don't apply where it is convenient for you.

Comment

So you mean to tell me your time in Toronto has made you equally a Flames and Leafs fan?

Comment

Working...
                                X