Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 07/08: VII Da da da, da da daa, da da da, da daa da daa

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yahoo. Ottawa being a contributor to the same.
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

The Bakstrom goal-- wow-- All he had to do was let the puck go by-- AS it as it was a really nice goal-- too bad on the wrong goal
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

On to the West Playoff race.

With Vancouver in the last playoff spot , a full 5 points up with a game in hand (two on Columbus) on the 10th-12th place teams, the run is becoming increasing improbable for those teams. They are starting to need a bad run by two teams plus a good run of their own. It could happen but its getting tougher

Nashville is still a big threat and you have to think that any kind of run over the last 12 game gets them in. ITs pretty much that way for Nashville,Vancouver,Colorado, Calgary and Minny-- Each of them have their own fates in their hands

Calgary?? They are 6-2-2 in their last 10 despite some god-awful offensive production. Huselius has pulled his disappearing act early this year (last year he waited until the playoffs). I knew it wouldn't last when he was an offensive powerhouse for a couple of months, no matter how much Asher gushed about him. I only hope he can surprise me and show up again soon. Based on his play I don't know why he is still getting big pp time.

Calgary should have one big plus . They currently have two games in hand over 3 of their rivals (Vancouver shares this advantage ).

Also look at Calgary's schedule over the next 5 games

vs Blues
        at Caps
        at Thrashers
        at Blackhawks
        at Bluejackets

While some of these teams have been playing well lately, they are ALL currently non-playoff teams. IN addition, for whatever reason, Calgary has been better on the road than at home this year. Bottom line is that Calgary has a opportunity against teams that should have had their playoff hopes dashed by the time the Flames meet them.

I do know that if the Flames stuggle on this road trip, it could be a tough and bitter fight to end the season. The last 9 games are all divisional matchups so the clubs should absolutely have a great chnace to determine their own fate. THe Flames face each divisional rival twice with the Canucks for 3!!!! NINE of the Flames 14 are on the road which could be a blessing with how lacklustre they have been at the Dome lately
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

And does anyone understand the Boston team? They are 6-2-2 in their last 10 but when they lose , they lose big-- Its like they say . . . "lets make all our mistakes tonight"-- get wiped out and then turn around and win the next night-- Heck they have a SIX point lead on the ninth place team-- I just find it amazing how bad they can look defensively (and more than once) and then rebound

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
            Yahoo. Ottawa being a contributor to the same.
            As long as they are strong for the playoffs, whether in the NHL or during the weeks that count for yahoo, is all that really matters.

I must say I am quite pleased to get a bye as it coincides with the first half of a family visit when it is toughest to get away

Comment

Should be good. If Calgary can keep it up, that leaves Minnesota and Colorado the odd men out.

Just need the Canucks to win one more game against LA.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

There's a lot of room for a huge shuffle yet. Last 9 games are all divisional for all the teams.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  There's a lot of room for a huge shuffle yet. Last 9 games are all divisional for all the teams.
                  As it turned out that was pretty good scheduling for exciting races.

Although if you are Chicago/Columbus etc and need to pass multiple teams it can be really painful seeing them play each other all the time.

Right now its too tight to call anything-- Calgary and vancouved have a small edge with more games to play and hopefully Calgary won't waste an opportunity tonight.

They need to put the Blues down hard. I only wish I had ANY confidence that they would actually do it-- I half expect another 1-1 game that they lose in OT

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

As it turned out that was pretty good scheduling for exciting races.

Although if you are Chicago/Columbus etc and need to pass multiple teams it can be really painful seeing them play each other all the time.
                    Actually, that's not necessarily true. The OT Loss point might affect this unfortunately, i'm not sure exactly how it factors in, but if you have teams (points here are made up, i'm too lazy to look them up):

7. Vancouver 31-29-8 (70pts/68gms; 1.03/gm)
                    8. Nashivlle 30-29-9 (69pts/68gms; 1.01/gm)
                    9. Colorado 30-30-8 (68pts/68gms; 1/gm)
                    10. Chicago 28-31-9 (65pts/68gms)

Chicago has 4 points to make up in the above list; if Vancouver and Nashville play each other, they'll end up (combined) with (2*.9)+(3*.1) or 2.1 points from that game, on average (above has about 10% of games going to OT). That's clearly slightly bad for Chicago; but it's not terribly bad for a few reasons:
                    1. Maximum of 3 points can be earned - Vancouver and Nashville both win more games than they lose, so they could easily score 4 points from playing games separately against other foes.
                    2. Western Conference teams - Isn't it better for them to be playing Western Conference teams than both to be playing teams from the East, where they will tend to win more?
                    3. War of attrition - This makes it less likely that two separate teams will go on hot streaks, if they play each other. One will cool the other off. With any luck, the one will be Chicago

All in all, i'm not sure if it helps or hurts us, but i doubt it does either to a significant degree. I'm happy to see the interesting hockey be played, and if the Hawks fail to make the playoffs, I'm not going to be too upset. They most certainly will succeed in the very near future, and I have no problem waiting one more year for this incredibly talented team to shine. It's not like the Bulls started winning championships in 1986 after all...
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

You guys see the video of Andre Roy flipping out on the TB bench? Torts had to physically throw him on the bench. He was then given a week's "vacation" from the team.

The incident:
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Chicago has to pass Nashville. Three games against Detroit, two games against Nashville, means you guys have to win your 4 against Columbus and St. Louis.

Then, since you have to make up 4 points, as well as an extra point to evade tiebreakers. If the other teams are averaging a point per game, that means it will take 4 games to do so, assuming you win them all.

That means Carolina, Washington, Calgary and one of the Nashville games are a must win for Chicago. Any losse to any of these means Chicago has to win against Detroit.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Iggy just set the franchise record for goals, passing Theo Fleury.

Comment

Fortunately, Chicago has not had particular difficulty against Detroit this year...

And if Detroit is solid in their playoff position (may well be by the end), they may not play quite as hard or play their older players, which would help even more

I'd say we have to get at least 3 points against Nashville, get 3 points from Detroit, 6 points from Columbus and StL, and 4 points from Car/Was/Cal to have a good shot. We might be able to get a couple fewer points than that, but 16 points at this point would put us at 89, which should be in reasonably good position I think.

Either way I'm not too worried about it like I said... we either make them or we don't, but in a few years we'll be drinking out of Lord Stanley's mug

Comment

Rucinski just hit Kipper from behind, knocked his mask clear off...

Kipper threw the puck in his face and now Rucinski is clutching his face.

Kipper gets an unsportsmanlike, no penalty to Rucinski...

Comment

Depends on the hit from behind I suppose... I thought goalies were defended more than that, but they're not NFL QBs after all.

Throwing a puck at someone's face certainly deserves unsportsmanlike (I assume that includes misconduct?)

Comment

Working...
                                X