No announcement yet.

In Other News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, just give every new player an intelligence test before they are allowed to start play and that will work.
    Last edited by Dinner; June 2, 2021, 18:43.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• NASA to launch babies into orbit. Baby Squid that is:

More than 100 baby squid and 5,000 microscopic animals are set to be launched to the International Space Station (ISS) on Thursday.

The creatures, along with other equipment for experiments, will head to the ISS aboard Space X's Falcon 9 rocket.

Its hoped that the experiments will be able to help scientists understand the effects of spaceflight.

The launch at 13:29 EDT (17:29 GMT) will be broadcast live by Nasa.

The 128 baby bobtail squid will be used as part of research into the effects of spaceflight on beneficial interactions between microbes and animals.

The squid have an immune system which is similar to that of humans.

Nasa says the experiment could support the development of protective measures to preserve astronaut health during long space missions.

(...)
      The creatures are set to start their journey to the International Space Station on Thursday.

Blah

Comment

• Elephants sleeping! Bibs is going for the really big news these days

A herd of wandering Asian elephants which has achieved fame in China has been spotted taking a nap in a forest.

Heavy rains slow the herd's extraordinary migration through China, as they seem to be heading home.
        Blah

Comment

• I just searched me and what must have been an attempt to start a flame war on CivFanatics ten years go. I do not remember that far back. Unfortunately the moderators promptly closed the thrade.

I like this forum as the posters, in general,agreeable and friendly. I think Perfection is funny and I liked Felch's guns and pot thread (very entertaining even though I am not at all into either guns or pot. :) What do you think of the other posters?

Comment

• In other news the Elok Forum seems dead. Perhaps we have a jolly good flame war in the "Old Timers Home" to bring it back from the dead.

Comment

• GOP considering all options to fight climate change:

Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas, suggested at a congressional hearing that climate change could be combatted by altering the orbit of the moon and asked a U.S. Forest Service official whether there was any way the agency could do it.

Gohmert made the comments Tuesday during a House Natural Resources Committee hearing on four bills as he was questioning Jennifer Eberlien, an associate deputy chief of the Forest Service.

"I understand, from what's been testified to the Forest Service and the BLM, you want very much to work on the issue of climate change," Gohmert said, referring to the Bureau of Land Management.

"I was informed by the immediate past director of NASA that they've found that the moon's orbit is changing slightly and so is the Earth's orbit around the sun. We know there's been significant solar flare activity," he said. "And so, is there anything that the National Forest Service or BLM can do to change the course of the moon's orbit or the Earth's orbit around the sun? Obviously, that would have profound effects on our climate."

Eberlien responded, smiling, "I would have to follow up with you on that one, Mr. Gohmert."

"If you figure out there's a way in the Forest Service you could make that change, I'd like to know," Gohmert said.

(snipsnap)
              from: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...oon-s-n1270219

Allmighty Forest Service
              Blah

Comment

• ricketyclik
                ricketyclik commented
                Editing a comment
                Far easier than substituting fossil fuels with renewables and careful land stewardship.

Who needs to do it anyway, given we can just terraform Mars? Creating a whole new atmosphere and biosphere is far, far easier than taking care of one that took billions of years to evolve.

• Ted Lieus answer/suggestion to Gohmert on Twitter sounds good ... to form a bipartisan commitee that tries to contact Captain Marvel, so she might alter the orbit with her superpowers
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Blah

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                  Uncle Sparky commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cooking with peanut oil can be dangerous, especially in parts of Africa....

• Sleep is good! The anecdote about Thatcher and Reagan at the end is good. Click on the cross next to "transcript" to read instead of listen.

It's not a good plan to skimp on sleep. A regular seven to nine hours a night puts you in a better position to live longer, and better.

Comment

• Over the last few months in Canada, several statues celebrating our colonial/imperial history ('discovery' of Canada,. British Empire, forced assimilation of 1st nations, etc.) have been torn down, including a massive statue of Queen Victoria in front of the Manitoba provincial legislature. I've noticed that most of the people over 50 who have been complaining the loudest over the destruction of colonial/imperial statues were the same ones who celebrated the loudest 30 some years ago when all the Lenin statues were falling in Eastern Europe...

Is the same true with the pro Civil War statue crowd in the US? And did anyone catch last weekends 'Doonesbury' cartoon about historical reenactors?
                  There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                    Uncle Sparky commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I really should apologize to anyone reading this... You probably have no idea who Lenin was, since without statues, he's been completely erased from history.

• Egbert
                    Egbert commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am over 50 and I was disgusted and outraged that these louts vandalised statues of our monarchs. I do not care about Lenin statues though. I did not cheer when his statues were destroyed, I was indifferent to that. (I approved of the Berlin Wall coming down).

• Uncle Sparky
                    Uncle Sparky commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I friend of mine suggested that we build a new statue of the old Queen Victoria statue being torn down... that would add context to the statue.

• You Only Need Two Days To See This Lovely City
                  "Fanaticism is to superstition what delirium is to fever and fury to anger." -Voltaire

Comment

• A city in the US state of Minnesota has urged residents not to release their unwanted pet fish into the wild after finding huge goldfish in a lake.

The common household pets can grow far bigger in the wild and cause major disruption to ecosystems.

The city of Burnsville shared images showing several monster goldfish caught during a survey of Keller Lake.

(...)

monster goldfish

Goldfish released into the wild can grow much bigger and cause major disruption to ecosystems.
                    Blah

Comment

• My parents goldfish grew to similar sizes.
                      I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                      Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                      Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Shot AT LEAST 64 times. I guess they're picking up pieces.

Chicago rapper KTS Dre was fatally shot over the weekend after reportedly being ambushed by multiple gunmen following his release […] The post Chicago rapper KTS Dre shot at least 64 times, killed after jail release appeared first on TheGrio.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                          Uncle Sparky commented
                          Editing a comment
                          "KTS Dre was out on bail for charges related to an April 2020 arrest for being a felon in possession of a weapon and resisting police..." 'Merca!

• -Jrabbit
                          -Jrabbit commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Actually, the story says "as many as" 64 wounds -- not that it makes any difference.

• Good thing it's a Gun Free Zone.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                          Uncle Sparky commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I thought only military bases and Trump rallies were 2nd amendment free zones.
                      Working...
                      X