No announcement yet.

In Other News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd said he could not breathe however I suggest he has no credibility and could reasonably wonder if he was merely saying that to get the requisite leeway to attempt an escape. I am thus agreeing with Berzerker that this could be described as a negligent homicide.

Comment

• Two autopsies both find George Floyd died by homicide, but differ on some key details

By Erin Donaghue
      June 4, 2020 / 10:15 AM / CBS News

George Floyd, the Minnesota man who died after an officer arresting him pressed his knee onto his neck, died by homicide, according to the results of two autopsies released on Monday — one by the county medical examiner and the other by independent pathologists commissioned by Floyd's family. But the two autopsy reports differed on exactly how the man died.

Dr. Allecia Wilson, one of the pathologists who conducted the independent autopsy, said Monday afternoon that Floyd died as a result of mechanical asphyxiation.

But the report released later Monday by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's office said Floyd died of "cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint and neck compression." The manner of death was ruled homicide, but the office noted that "is not a legal determination of culpability or intent." A preliminary autopsy report cited earlier by prosecutors said the county medical examiner's review "revealed no physical findings that support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxia or strangulation."

Floyd's death has led to widespread outrage, protests and unrest across the nation. The Minneapolis officer seen kneeling on Floyd's neck, Derek Chauvin, was charged last week with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

The independent autopsy was conducted by Wilson and Dr. Michael Baden. Baden is the former chief medical examiner of New York City, and was also hired in 2014 to conduct the autopsy of Eric Garner, a black man who died when an NYPD officer used a banned chokehold during his arrest. Both Garner and Floyd pleaded with officers that they couldn't breathe before their deaths seen on disturbing videos, and "I can't breathe" has become a rallying cry among those protesting police brutality.

Baden said Floyd died as a result of compression on his neck and back from the officer, which interfered with blood flow and his breathing.

"George died because he needed a breath," said Ben Crump, a lawyer representing Floyd's family. "He needed a breath of air."

The Hennepin County medical examiner's office, however, said Floyd experienced cardiopulmonary arrest while being restrained by the officer. The county autopsy said Floyd had "other significant conditions" including "arteriosclerotic and hypertensive heart disease; fentanyl intoxication; [and] recent methamphetamine use." The office had not previously released the findings pending toxicology reports.

But Baden said the further testing wouldn't reveal evidence of compressive pressure on Floyd's neck and back since the pressure would have been released when it was no longer applied. He said large areas of scrapes and abrasions on Floyd's face indicated the force that was used to press him into the ground.

Baden also said that he could find no underlying conditions that contributed to Floyd's death, saying he was in good health. In a criminal complaint, Hennepin County prosecutors said Chauvin "had his knee on Mr. Floyd's neck for eight minutes and 46 seconds. Two minutes and 53 seconds of this was after Mr. Floyd was "non-responsive." Crump said Floyd's death was the result of that sustained pressure to his neck and the pressure on Floyd's back from other officers holding him down.

"What those officers did, as we have seen on the video, is his cause of death — not some underlying, unknown health condition," Crump said. "George Floyd was a healthy young man."

Crump said Floyd died on the scene.

"The ambulance was his hearse," Crump said.

Crump said the family understands the "righteous anger" of protesters and said they support the people who want to work towards change, but he called the violence "unacceptable." He encouraged the community to "take a breath for justice, take a breath for peace, take a breath for our country, but more importantly, take a breath for George, since he didn't get the opportunity to take a breath."

Another lawyer representing Floyd's family, Antonio Romanucci, said the three other officers involved are also criminally responsible for Floyd's death. All have been fired, but none of the others have been charged. He called those officers "shameless" and said they had every opportunity to prevent Floyd's death, knowing that restricting his airway could kill him. The family has called for those officers to be charged, and for Chauvin to face first-degree — rather than third-degree — murder charges.

Romanucci also blasted the Minneapolis police department for what he described as a failure to properly train officers about chokeholds and restraint.

"This was a brutal and public display of an eight-minute prolonged death," Romanucci said. "This was the lowest level of human respect and dignity that any community should ever have to endure. What this really was was the weight of the Minneapolis police department on George's neck."

The Minneapolis police department has not responded to requests from CBS News for information about its training.
      The county medical examiner and independent forensic pathologists commissioned by Floyd's family both released autopsy reports.

While one of the autopsies did cite fentanyl intoxication and recent methamphetamine use as "other significant conditions", it did not claim he had an overdose. Dinner is always wrong.

Comment

• I call bull ****. "Fatal levels of fantasy in his blood" but then claiming that didn't kill him? All while the official autopsy says now signs of strangulation? Yeah, politics and political pressure was at play on that one.

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• From your own link:

>>Dr. Stephen Nelson, chairman of Florida's medical examiners commission, who is not affiliated with the case, reviewed the new files and says that doesn't mean the drugs or health condition is what caused Floyd's death. "We've all had cases where those kinds of of levels come into play. You've got to look at the whole picture," Nelson said. "It's one thing to die *with* something. It's another thing to die *from* something."

>>The FBI asked the Armed Forces Medical Examiner to review Baker's autopsy and they agreed with his findings, writing "his death was caused by the police subdual and restraint with cardiovascular disease and drug intoxication contributing."
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• In other news, the President of Afghanistan has left the country and the Taliban are moving into Kabul. Taliban soldiers have been seen on the streets of abul.

That was an incredibly fast takeover of Afghanistan.

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
              Uncle Sparky commented
              Editing a comment
              Tricky for the Afghani boat people to escape...

• Cuttlefish remember details of their last meal, study finds

Blah

Comment

• deplorable appereance

Comment

• Originally posted by BeBro View Post
                Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• How about a carnivorous tortoise?
                  I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                  Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                  Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Tortoise

Tortoise eating non veggie baby bird

Though could be the tortoise wanted to make an omelett, but was so slow it only arrived when the birds were out of the eggs already...

Blah

Comment

• Rapper Kanye West has filed papers to officially change his name to be known simply as Ye.

Most important news evar!
                    Blah

Comment

• Why do I have to think ot Prince/Symbol/TAFKAP?

How are the chance that Kanye will rename himself TAFKAK or TAFKAY some time after this?
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• So, was this guy an angry black man in whiteface, or ANTIFA, or both?
                        We know right wing Americans are all patriots who never resort to violence. (I've read it here, so it must be true.)
                        A man upset over state-ordered coronavirus restrictions was sentenced to just over six years in prison on Wednesday for planning to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, a significant break that reflected his quick decision to co-operate and help agents build cases against others.
                        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• He probably did it for freedom, but no surprise, that article is full of propaganda:

The U.S. "Constitution is designed to ensure that we work out our fundamental and different views peacefully, not at the point of a gun, not with some other blunt force threat or a kidnapping conspiracy," the judge said.
                          Crazy activist judges!
                          Blah

Comment

• I have to say, while this is pretty low, it also made me giggle:

French woman arrested over jewellery thefts from coffins

When a grieving family saw an unknown mourner at the funeral home in northern France where their relative was lying at rest, they thought nothing of it.

The woman, in her sixties, said she was a friend of the deceased, so they left her to pay her respects at the open coffin - or so they thought.

But when they came back later, the deceased had been stripped of her jewellery: her necklace, ring and earrings had all vanished, French media report.

The family raised the alarm with the police, who investigated and soon identified a suspect: a woman living not far from the funeral home, in the town of Liévin. They detained her and found the missing jewellery in her possession.

But that was not all. They were soon able to link her with the theft of a wallet from the body of a man at the same funeral home, earlier on the same day, Tuesday 24 August.

When the suspect's home was searched, police also found a stack of recent death notices. Included in the notices were the access codes for family members to enter the individual rooms where the coffins of their relatives were reposing.

The woman will appear in court in 2022.

Police believe the woman was posing as a mourner to strip valuables from the recently deceased.

Blah

Comment

Working...
                            X