In Other News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passengers on Australia’s legendary Ghan train greeted by naked bums again

On March 12, many moons rose near the Australian city of Darwin.

If you think it was a once-in-a-lifetime celestial happening, you are mistaken.

Hundreds of young and old flashers had turned up by the tracks at Livingstone, about 40km south-east of Darwin, on a cloudy day to bare their behinds at a train called The Ghan.

The flashers included some children who were not born when the first mooning happened, and babies who had their buttocks bared by their parents.

It was a unique way of greeting the train that was arriving in Darwin in the Northern Territories from the southern city of Adelaide, a 2,978km journey that can take up to 53 hours including tourist stops.

The train’s name is an abbreviation of its original moniker The Afghan Express – so named in tribute to the Afghan camel drivers who helped build the first stretches of the line in the 19th century.

The posterior-flashing practice first took place in February 2004, and then again 10 years later. It started as a good-natured gesture to welcome the train’s first run, according to locals.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/yzlieUL5vRA[/youtube]

Twenty years ago, in 2004, the "Noonamah Moonies" — a group of Territorians from Darwin's outskirts — first dropped their dacks as iconic tourist train The Ghan approached its Darwin destination.

"There were people starkers just about, swinging their shorts," one original mooner recalled of the historic 2004 occasion. The group "mooned" the train again in 2014.

“We have dinner parties on car trailers and silly things like that. And (someone) said, ‘We should moon the Ghan when it comes through,’” an unofficial local representative, Ms Michelle Salmon, told NT News in 2014.

Other flashers on March 12 were from a group calling itself the Noonamah Moonies, comprising locals who were part of the original mooners in 2004 and had returned for the now once-a-decade ritual while repeating the mantra to “get your backside trackside”.

For the mooning’s 20th anniversary, signs and posters inviting people to join the party “Mooning the Ghan” were placed near the train tracks.

The original poster for the inaugural Ghan mooning in 2004.

Gallivanting locals showed up with beers in hand, ready to catch what some dubbed “full moon fever”.

“It’s not a bad day to flash your bum,” one mooner told Australia’s ABC News.

As the train approached the Livingstone Airstrip, horns blaring, the flashers lined up disorderly and dropped their pants for what appeared to be the 20-odd seconds it took for Australia’s longest passenger train to drive past them.

Local mooners greet The Ghan on its approach to Darwin.

The group, which included many first-time mooners, bared their bums to greet the Ghan, which departs from Adelaide, travels through the Australian interior, and disembarks near Darwin.

The original mooners, who first flashed The Ghan 20 years ago, returned to bare their backsides.

Former Australian prime minister John Howard was on board the first Ghan train in 2004, after the line was extended from Alice Springs to facilitate travel and freight transport from coast to coast.

It is not clear if he witnessed the buttocks lining up to greet the train.

If the once-a-decade tradition holds, Ghan travellers can expect to see the next "full moon" in 2034.​
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Japan PM Kishida slams ruling party event with scantily-clad dancers

Japan's Prime Minister Fumio Kishida has slammed a gathering of ruling party members last November that involved scantily-clad dancers.

Leaked footage of the event, organised by a chapter of the Liberal Democratic Party, showed women in swimwear sitting on participants' laps, reports said.​

The women, who are reportedly part of the Osaka and Kyoto-based Glamor Dancers troupe, were asked to use their mouths to receive banknotes hanging from participants' mouths, claimed local media reports.​

Leaked footage of the event showed women in swimwear sitting on participants' laps, said reports.
      I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
      Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
      Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• 'They're all high': Rats eat marijuana from police evidence room

Rat droppings have been found on officers' desks in the New Orleans police headquarters, which have been taken over by mould and cockroaches, according to the department.

Rat droppings have been found on officers' desks in the New Orleans police headquarters, which have been taken over by mould and cockroaches, according to the department.
        Blah

Comment

• Indica or Sativa?
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• airlines are now allowing passengers to bring screwdrivers and drills onboard flights for routine maintenance

Comment

• -Jrabbit
              -Jrabbit commented
              Editing a comment
              That's silly; nobody does routine maintenance on their screwdrivers and drills in flight.

• Nova Scotia's Hope For Wildlife welcomes 'completely bald' raccoon

Hope For Wildlife, a wildlife rehabilitation centre in Seaforth, N.S., has recently taken an animal into its care and its appearance may have some people doing a double take.

The centre posted photos of a northern raccoon with what is believed to be alopecia – otherwise known as hair loss – on its Facebook page(opens in a new tab) Wednesday morning.

The animal is described as “completely bald" in addition to being “not friendly” and “feisty.”

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/nova-sco...coon-1.6805741
            I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
            Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
            Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• It looks like some dog
              Blah

Comment

• Japan has all the cool stuff these days. First TigerMan, now Godzilla:

Godzilla was recently chosen to serve as a Tokyo police chief for a day to promote traffic safety. Watch news footage of the occasion.

Blah

Comment

• Ouch !

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• They hit the wrong bridge, wrong continent, wrong sea
                    Blah

Comment

• German modern art gallery employee sacked after hanging up his own painting

https://www.euronews.com/culture/202...s-own-painting

I thought an art gallery would appreciate his creativity
                      Blah

Comment

• Parrots can play tablet games for enrichment. Now researchers are studying how to improve them for birds to use

Technology has become an integral part of human life. Now, researchers are exploring how tablets could be designed for a different creature’s enrichment — parrots.
                        Blah

Comment

• Sad day
                          Today more than half of the Børsen (the Exchange for foreigners) burnt down. The building would have had 400 years jubilee in few months and was under restoration - that may be the reason, which isn't unusual.

Start of fire :

A bit later and the fall of the dragons :
                          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Reminds me on Notre Dame

But I read they'll rebuild this (too)
                            Blah

Comment

• Broken_Erika
                              Broken_Erika commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Apparently, it collapsed.

• Woman accused of wheeling dead man into bank to sign for loan

A Brazilian woman has been arrested after brazenly wheeling the fresh corpse of her uncle into a bank branch where she tried to get him to co-sign a loan with her, in a scene straight out of Weekend at Bernie’s.

Erika de Souza Vieira Nunes, 42, pushed the lifeless body of Roberto Braga, 68, into a bank branch in the Rio de Janeiro neighbourhood of Bangu on Tuesday where the bizarre scene played out.

The bizarre scene was filmed by bank staff.

The woman was seen in shocking viral footage, first aired by Brazilian broadcaster TV Globo, standing at the teller’s desk next to the dead man in a wheelchair asking him to sign financial documents that would allow her to take out a loan for 7000 reais ($2080).

“Uncle, are you listening? You need to sign [the loan contract],“ Ms Nunes says in the video, while thrusting a pen between his limp fingers and instructing him to hold it “hard”.

“If you don’t sign, there’s no way, because I can’t sign for you. Sign so you don’t give me any more headaches, I can’t take it anymore.”

A concerned bank worker says, “I don’t think this is legal. He doesn’t look well. He’s very pale.”

‘He doesn’t look well.’

Ms Nunes dismisses his concerns.

“He is like that,” she says. “He doesn’t say anything. Uncle, do you want to go to the [hospital] again?”

Suspicious bank staff began filming the incident before calling an ambulance.

Parademics soon confirmed Mr Braga had died before he was wheeled into the bank, and police arrested Ms Nunes.

“She tried to pretend to get him to sign the loan,” Rio de Janeiro police chief Fábio Luis Souza told TV Globo. “He already entered the bank dead.”

The woman claims he died in the wheelchair.

He said police would “continue the investigation to identify other family members, and to find out if he was alive when the loan was arranged and when it dates from”.

Ms Nunes could face charges of theft through fraud, or embezzlement, and abuse of corpse.

The police chief gave another update to Brazilian news outlet G1 on Wednesday, The Daily Mail reported, saying cadaver spots visible on the back of Mr Braga’s head indicated he would have been dead for about two hours.

Had he died while sitting in the wheelchair, the cadaver patches would have been located on his legs.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/KeZAvknHEYk[/youtube]

“It is not possible to say the exact moment of death,” Mr Souza said.

“It was found by [paramedics] that there was [livor mortis]. This only happens from the moment of death, but is only noticeable around two hours after death.”

It came as new footage emerged of Ms Nunes pushing the corpse around the shopping centre before wheeling it into the bank.

Police said they were also hunting for the rideshare app driver who had dropped off the woman with her dead uncle.

Ms Nunes was interviewed by police on Wednesday morning.

She reportedly claimed Mr Braga had died while sitting in the wheelchair at the bank, which police will dispute.

“In my 22-year career I have never seen a story like this,” Mr Souza said.​
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                            X