• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken_Erika
    replied
    Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

Of course the UK wants more free trade.
    They "just" want it without having the ballast of all the other things that an EU membership entails, like having to pay "membership fees", or having people from eastern europe being allowed as workers in the country.
    The UK wants <all the benefits of the EU, without also accepting its liabilities ... and they have been led astray by populists like Farage and Johnson into believing, that this would be possible, because "we are the UK ... and if we start to negotiate, the EU will cave in very soon and give us all we want"
    In other words; They will get everything they want because Pax Brittania!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Proteus_MST
    replied
    Originally posted by Dinner View Post
    I disagree. It is not absurd for people to want to control their own destiny especially when you see the EU is anti-democratic, authoritarian in nature, and always seeking to concentrate more power in it's own unelected hands. The UK really does want more free trade while the EU is highly protectionist in nature so it has always been a bad fit.
    Of course the UK wants more free trade.
    They "just" want it without having the ballast of all the other things that an EU membership entails, like having to pay "membership fees", or having people from eastern europe being allowed as workers in the country.
    The UK wants <all the benefits of the EU, without also accepting its liabilities ... and they have been led astray by populists like Farage and Johnson into believing, that this would be possible, because "we are the UK ... and if we start to negotiate, the EU will cave in very soon and give us all we want"

Leave a comment:

• Dinner
    replied
    I disagree. It is not absurd for people to want to control their own destiny especially when you see the EU is anti-democratic, authoritarian in nature, and always seeking to concentrate more power in it's own unelected hands. The UK really does want more free trade while the EU is highly protectionist in nature so it has always been a bad fit.

Leave a comment:

• BeBMan
    replied
    For a long time Britain was usually seen as more level-headed, pragmatic. It's almost tragic to see it to suffer from that kind of ideological overload that seems to be all the rage in some parts of the pol_elite/media/etc. for years now.

There could be plenty of legitimate points made re the EU or whatever, but the hysteria and division over Brexit is really an absurdity. And it does have a real impact - it completely dominates the political landscape and consumes time and effort that could be spend better elsewhere.

Blarghl.

Leave a comment:

• spambot
    replied
    What a silly country.

Leave a comment:

• Bereta_Eder
    replied
    Greece continues to shine as a paragorn of stability, responsibility and seriousness when compared to Great Britain. I shudder to think dinner supports such clowns of democratic charade.(don't care either way, just that it is so funny that whatever dinner supports ends up becoming a clown ) . On the point at hand, two questions: a) what is all this junk they have in their parliement? stolen goods from hard working people like the marbles of parthenon only it's sh!t? And also, what is this with the border in ireland. who wants it soft, who hard? (I'd suppose she would want it hard

Leave a comment:

• BeBMan
    replied
    Speak softly and carry a big stick....

Leave a comment:

• Broken_Erika
    replied
    If they aren't going to vote for it, then they don't get a say in it!

Leave a comment:

• pchang
    replied
    Eh, May gave up and cancelled the vote. Who knows what will happen now.

Leave a comment:

• Broken_Erika
    replied
    Here's some inside footage of May with her deal. Her Precious deal. May's Brexit.

Leave a comment:

• spambot
    replied
    I believe that 1% of truth would be the day's date.

Leave a comment:

• Dauphin
    replied
    Originally posted by Dry View Post

Maybe we should have some regulation for UK newspapers. They should have some composition notice like "contain 99% horsesh*t"
    Are you implying there is a 1% of truth hidden away in the U.K. press?

Few in the U.K. believe the press* but the issue moreover is one of saturation. Repeat a lie over and over and over and you will think it true subconsciously due to a familiarity with the lie being conveyed, even if you hear it and know it’s false at a conscious level the first x times.

* more accurately, heavily sceptical and want to hear from more than one news source.

Leave a comment:

• ZEE
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Proteus_MST
    replied
    The first thing after the fact was the Priest.
    Like:
    Fact:
    There was a big flash in the sky and suddenly this tree burns

Priest:
    This was Thor/YHWH/Shiwa who expressed his displeasure ... you need to sacrifice 2 maidens and 10 pieces of livestock to her in my temple

Fact:
    The small light that usually is seen in the sky is suddenly so dark

Priest:
    That is Yughquash the world eater threatening us all. You need to sacrifice 2 maidens and 10 pieces of livestock in my temple in order to help YHWH/ Cthulhu / Odin fight Yughquash

Fact:
    Last year there were lots of fruits on the plants ... this year there only is meagre harvest

Priest:
    YOu know the drill ... already give me my 2 maidens and 10 pieces of livestock

Leave a comment:

• Broken_Erika
    replied
    Originally posted by BeBro View Post

It's that age-old question: what came first -- the fact or the expert?
    Both "Fact" and "Expert" are just made-up Remoaner terms. Like "Reality" or "Cause-and-Effect"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X