Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BeBMan
    replied
    So why are you hating banana-shaped pretzels ???

Leave a comment:

• Broken_Erika
    replied
    I want Pretzel-shaped Bananas!

Leave a comment:

• Proteus_MST
    replied
    Originally posted by Dinner View Post

They got tired of being made fun of and then relaxed the banana regulations a bit but don't pretend they didn't used to have the law until they got shamed into fixing it. It was originally pushed by the French to give priority to bananas from former French colonies in the Caribbean instead of cheaper, better bananas from American companies grown in Latin America.
    Nope:

However, a proposal banning straight bananas and other misshapen fruits was brought before the European Parliament in 2008 and defeated

So, it was proposed, but never made it through the parliament

Leave a comment:

• Dinner
    replied
    Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...us-in-cornwall

With other words, even if your banana is straigth as a stick or is curved so much that it goes in circles, you can sell it in the EU ... but it won't be classified as a class 1 banana
    They got tired of being made fun of and then relaxed the banana regulations a bit but don't pretend they didn't used to have the law until they got shamed into fixing it. It was originally pushed by the French to give priority to bananas from former French colonies in the Caribbean instead of cheaper, better bananas from American companies grown in Latin America.

Leave a comment:

• Dinner
    replied
    Originally posted by pchang View Post
    Did you know that prior to Brexit, the U.K. had the highest economic growth rate in the G7 and that since Brexit, the UKs growth rate has dropped to the point where it is now the worst of the G7?
    Yes, it is mostly due to people holding off on new investments while the wait for clarity. That is one of those short term costs.

Leave a comment:

• ZEE
    replied
    I have been told I have an "extra class" banana.

Leave a comment:

• Proteus_MST
    replied

The main reason the economy for most of Europe has sucked for so long (minus a few bubbles which popped) is due to over regulation, high taxes, and a lack of free trade. I mean the EU even regulates how curved bananas have to be in order to be legal to sell. It is just absurd.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...us-in-cornwall

A Brussels ban on bendy bananas is one of the EU’s most persistent myths.

Bananas have always been classified by quality and size for international trade. Because the standards, set by individual governments and the industry, were confusing, the European Commission was asked to draw up new rules.

Commission regulation 2257/94 decreed that bananas in general should be “free from malformation or abnormal curvature”. Those sold as “extra class” must be perfect, “class 1” can have “slight defects of shape” and “class 2” can have full-scale “defects of shape”.

Nothing is banned under the regulation, which sets grading rules requested by industry to make sure importers – including UK wholesalers and supermarkets – know exactly what they will be getting when they order a box of bananas.

With other words, even if your banana is straigth as a stick or is curved so much that it goes in circles, you can sell it in the EU ... but it won't be classified as a class 1 banana
    Last edited by Proteus_MST; November 28, 2018, 14:59.

Leave a comment:

• Dinner
    replied
    Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
    EU is VERY business oriented and its unsufferably neoliberal. However it is NOT UK nor US. That translates to : it's not a jungle and doesn't have depressing brown buildings (for the UK) or extreme danger if you're black and mindboggling crime, unfree education, dieying on the streets and uneccaptable welath differences (is you're the US). All in all EU good. US/UK ****ed
    The main reason the economy for most of Europe has sucked for so long (minus a few bubbles which popped) is due to over regulation, high taxes, and a lack of free trade. I mean the EU even regulates how curved bananas have to be in order to be legal to sell. It is just absurd.

Leave a comment:

• BeBMan
    replied

The EU's protectionism, anti-business attitude, over regulation, and authoritarian/anti-democratic outlook make it extremely difficult to do worse than the low growth, high regulation, and anti-free trade EU.
    Feel free to simply ignore stuff that doesn't fit to your POV, like the BBC article I linked to, but don't expect me to waste my time with this.

At least in the 10 year plus and I would even go so far as to say it would probably be better off in the 5 plus year time frame. The European Commission is desperately trying to do everything it possibly can to block that though because it knows as soon as the UL does well there will be others who will do the same because the EU truly is that bad.
    Oh the gift of prophecy!

While you are at it, pls. tell us the lottery numbers for the next 5-10 years.

Leave a comment:

• Bereta_Eder
    replied
    But didn't! Very important

Leave a comment:

• spambot
    replied
    The Greeks almost brought the whole thing crashing down

Leave a comment:

• Bereta_Eder
    replied
    to clarify: in the eys of the world: the EU smells of roses and has fluffy feathers that life her up to the sky. the UK has blistering burned red flesh and smells of ass

Leave a comment:

• Bereta_Eder
    replied
    Also, noone is going to take a "tough line" vis a vis the EU and certaintly, for the love of God not even think about doing that for the favour of the UK. And that's worldwide

Leave a comment:

• Bereta_Eder
    replied
    EU is VERY business oriented and its unsufferably neoliberal. However it is NOT UK nor US. That translates to : it's not a jungle and doesn't have depressing brown buildings (for the UK) or extreme danger if you're black and mindboggling crime, unfree education, dieying on the streets and uneccaptable welath differences (is you're the US). All in all EU good. US/UK ****ed

Leave a comment:

• Bereta_Eder
    replied
    US irrelevent

Leave a comment:

Working...
X