Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BBC
    Russia 'meddled in all big social media' around US election

Russia used every major social media platform to influence the 2016 US election, a report claims.

New research says YouTube, Tumblr, Instagram and PayPal - as well as Facebook and Twitter - were leveraged to spread propaganda.

The report, released today by the US Senate, exposes the scale of Russian disinformation efforts.

Its authors criticise the "belated and uncoordinated response" by tech firms.

The report was put together by University of Oxford's Computational Propaganda Project and the social network analysis firm Graphika.

It is the first analysis of millions of social media posts provided by Twitter, Google and Facebook to the Senate Intelligence Committee.

While Facebook and Twitter have previously disclosed Russian interference, little has been known about the use of other platforms.

The report suggests YouTube, Tumblr, PayPal and Google+ were all affected, with Russia adapting techniques from digital marketing to target audiences across multiple channels.

"It's a whole family of social media sites," says Dr Philip N. Howard, director of the Oxford Internet Institute. "We think the goal was to make the campaigns seem more legitimate."

The research details a vast campaign spearheaded by the Internet Research Agency (IRA) - a Russian company that has been described by the United States Intelligence Community as a troll farm with ties to the Russian government.

The report says Russia had a particular focus on targeting conservatives with posts on immigration, race and gun rights.

There were also efforts to undermine the voting power of left-leaning African-American citizens, by spreading misinformation about the electoral process.

One IRA campaign highlighted in the paper, Black Matters US, existed across Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Google+, Tumblr and PayPal, which it used for donations to the group. These various accounts would promote each other's posts and events.

When Facebook suspended the group on its platform, the group's Twitter account complained about the move and accused the social network of supporting white supremacy.

"What is clear is that all of the messaging clearly sought to benefit the Republican Party - and specifically Donald Trump," the report says.

"Trump is mentioned most in campaigns targeting conservatives and right-wing voters, where the messaging encouraged these groups to support his campaign. The main groups that could challenge Trump were then provided messaging that sought to confuse, distract and ultimately discourage members from voting."

While the data used by the researchers was provided by Facebook, Twitter and Google, their findings criticise the "belated and uncoordinated response" from these companies to Russia's disinformation campaign.
    YouTube, Tumblr, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter were targeted in the 2016 US election, a report says.

I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
    Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
    Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• The original 302 for Flynn interview was submitted as a sealed document to keep the public from seeing that Mueller is conducting a witch hunt and that he is engaging is serious misconduct.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Kidlicious
        Kidlicious commented
        Editing a comment
        Practice saying, "opposition research."

• Proteus_MST
        Proteus_MST commented
        Editing a comment
        You mean "opposition research by the republican party against the republican party"?

• Kidlicious
        Kidlicious commented
        Editing a comment
        You have never heard of that or are you just making ignorant statements?

• Docs reveal that Flynn told McCabe that he knew the FBI had a transcript of conversation. So how could he lie about conversation.

Comment

• -Jrabbit
        -Jrabbit commented
        Editing a comment
        So how could Flynn have been unaware he was in jeopardy?
        The man was a general. Any defense suggesting he was somehow unaware of the consequences of lying is just plain boneheaded.

• A member of the Judiciary committee says the FBI entrapped Flynn

Comment

• Berzerker
        Berzerker commented
        Editing a comment
        translation: the FBI knew he was lying when he lied and didn't tell him lying was a crime

• Was that member a Republican by chance?
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...?noredirect=on

What is Russia's propaganda and disinformation campaigns targeting now? They are targeting the Mueller investigation because Mueller is revealing Russia's interference in the 2016 election as well as exposing the Russian stooge Trump's treason. So, of course, they want to discredit the honest law enforcement efforts.

It is what the dictator Putin is most afraid of.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• pchang
          pchang commented
          Editing a comment
          And therefore, it is what Putin’s underling, Trump, is most afraid of.

• Is Kidicious on the Russian payroll?

Comment

• If he isn't it would be such a waste of talent
          Blah

Comment

• Kid is a master, he does it for the sake of his art.

Comment

• Rosenstein (who still seems to be leading the DoJ for some reason) has denied Congress the ability to interview the agent that interviewed Flynn.

Comment

• Neither the FBI nor CNN did warn Flynn that Afghanistan is a war zone before he was sent there.
                Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by spambot View Post
                  Is Kidicious on the Russian payroll?
                  Are you on Clinton's payroll?

Comment

• Originally posted by BeBro View Post
                    Neither the FBI nor CNN did warn Flynn that Afghanistan is a war zone before he was sent there.
                    Massive abuse of power, government corruption and setting people up isn't really that funny.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post

Massive abuse of power, government corruption and setting people up isn't really that funny.
                      If you stop doing it and learn your lessons people may forgive you sooner or later

Blah

Comment

• One can only hope that the Mueller investigation, when finished, will lead to a significant decrease in the abuse of power and government corruption
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Working...
                        X