No announcement yet.

Thread for obviously newsworthy stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The article said that the statues were plain wood.
    So in this latest case there wasn't even a need for restoration

Do I see this correctly ... the statuette on the right (which holds Jesus) sis supposed to be Joseph?
    With the pink Stola and the lipstick he now looks like a second woman next to Mary
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Turning a priceless 15th century artifact into something that looks like a cheap dollar store item.
      I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
      Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
      Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Trump doesn't need Congress to fund the wall. We're getting a wall.

'We have two options,' Trump told DailyMail.com aboard Air Force One as he flew from Billings, Montana to Fargo, North Dakota. 'We have military, we have homeland security.'
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
          Trump doesn't need Congress to fund the wall. We're getting a wall.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-fund-DHS.html
          AFAIK this idea was brought forward last years already, but was denied as being unrealistic, because even in the military budgets are purpose bound.
          That means, while the military might provide personnel and equipment (like bulldozers) they still would be missing the building materials to build the wall

It is funny, btw. that Trump in the article speaks of
          considering using military resources to finish construction of his long-promised border wall
          Construction hasn't even started yet ... it is a long way between now and a point where we can earnestly talk about "finishing construction"
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Kidlicious
            Kidlicious commented
            Editing a comment
            What law says that the military can't purchase materials?

• Proteus_MST
            Proteus_MST commented
            Editing a comment
            As I said ... if the budgets are purpose bound, they may not have the right amount of money in the right budget in order to buy the materials.
            The other question is, if the military budget is allowed at all to be used for national construction projects like the Trumpian wall. ANd, if the president is allowed to order the military to build the wall for him.
            AFAIK both questions were answered with a clear "No" the last time this "suggestion" (about letting the military build the wall) turned up (IIRC it was shortly after Trump announced the increase of the military budget in the federal budget for 2018 ... so it must have been somewhere in the latter half of 2017)

• Kidlicious
            Kidlicious commented
            Editing a comment
            Very simple. You take the funding out of whatever budget you want because there is no law against that. That's why I asked you for the law.

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

AFAIK this idea was brought forward last years already, but was denied as being unrealistic, because even in the military budgets are purpose bound.
          That means, while the military might provide personnel and equipment (like bulldozers) they still would be missing the building materials to build the wall

It is funny, btw. that Trump in the article speaks of

Construction hasn't even started yet ... it is a long way between now and a point where we can earnestly talk about "finishing construction"
          What are you talking about "denied?" After Congress authorizes funding to the military they have no more control over it.

Comment

• Ok. If the President funds the wall with using military budgets you think he has committed a crime? Which law will he have broken?

Comment

What are you talking about "denied?" After Congress authorizes funding to the military they have no more control over it.
              Neither has Trump ... only the military has ... and they AFAIK have told the public and Trump, already last year, that no, they won't take any of theor purpose bound funding in order to build the wall for Trump

Comment

• Addendum ... I just googled for it ... it was not last year, but the May of this year.
                Here are 2 articles about it (and why the military cannot build the wall for Donnie):

http://time.com/5219475/donald-trump...n-border-wall/
                https://edition.cnn.com/2018/03/27/p...ary/index.html

Comment

Addendum ... I just googled for it ... it was not last year, but the May of this year.
                  Here are 2 articles about it (and why the military cannot build the wall for Donnie):

... but WHY?!?[/kidortrump]

Comment

Neither has Trump ... only the military has ... and they AFAIK have told the public and Trump, already last year, that no, they won't take any of theor purpose bound funding in order to build the wall for Trump
                    Of course the military can say no, but they haven't really. The DoHS asked the military to fund part of it already and Mathis is considering it.

Your argument is that they CAN'T do it, but now you moved the goal posts to they won't.

They simple haven't made the decision yet.

Comment

Addendum ... I just googled for it ... it was not last year, but the May of this year.

Time and CNN are 99% and 98% anti-Trump. Fake news. I figured as much.

Comment

Trump doesn't need Congress to fund the wall. We're getting a wall.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-fund-DHS.html

No you're not. Try again. Trump can't just use the military to build a wall. And besides that the military's budget is already used for other projects.

So you're willing to take the military, try to use its funding (which Trump can't), and divert resources away from more important matters? Maybe try helping out veterans instead of building a stupid ****ing wall.
                        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Of course the military can say no, but they haven't really. The DoHS asked the military to fund part of it already and Mathis is considering it.

Your argument is that they CAN'T do it, but now you moved the goal posts to they won't.

They simple haven't made the decision yet.
                          The military can't in their capacity fund the wall, and Congress could easily turn around and cut their funding if they see resources being misused on a wall and not on military projects (this could happen especially after the midterms when republicans lose control of the House and possibly the Senate - seeing that Ted Cruz is now in trouble).

A wall doesn't create jobs, moron.

And yes, the military CAN'T DO IT. They don't have the discretionary funding to do it.

The military is in some cases short on cash (despite a large budget), and are having issues with being stretched much too thin because of global deployments. They don't have enough manpower to partake in some stupid vendetta wall that Donny wants to build.

By the way, there are already concerns that military spending is reaching too high and pushing the US government deeper into the red.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.4e2eabbe3c4c

But you don't care about that... you only cared about the deficit when the black guy was in charge.

Anyways back to the issue of manpower:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...tary-says.html

https://wjla.com/news/nation-world/w...uitment-crisis

They have recruitment shortfalls. The same applies to the national guards of various states. They won't be building a wall.
                          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• And...

I thought Mexico was paying for it?

So now the US taxpayers have to flip the bill for a vendetta wall that would do absolutely nothing to improve security?

Just another stupid moronic distraction from the mountain load of scandals plaguing this administration, and plummeting approval ratings.

Comment

Time and CNN are 99% and 98% anti-Trump. Fake news. I figured as much.
                              Doesn't matter whether the Times and CNN like Trump or not, as long as their informations are factually correct

During the election Trump boasted with being a Layman and not a professional politician.
                              Well, now we see the drawbacks ... the american states cannot be handled like one of Trumps companies and Trumps Layman worldview about politics (especially about the power he, as PotUS has) constantly collides with the political realities.

(that said ... being a Layman, of course, doesn't have to be negative per se ... if you actually are able and willing to learn the ropes. Unfortunately Trump doesn't seem to express even the slightest desire (or patience) to actually learn something new (i.e. the things needed for his new job as PotUS) and instead prefers to retreat into his alternate reality and deep state conspiracy theories if, due to the normal functioning of the state, things don't go according to his wishes)

Comment

Working...
                              X