No announcement yet.

Thread for obviously newsworthy stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes. We find it funny that you right wingers will engage in racist attacks to try to accomplish political points. Everything is going to **** for you this year. You are forced to fall back on racist attacks because you have nothing else.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• Originally posted by BBC
      Brazil museum fire: Funding cuts blamed as icon is gutted

Officials in Brazil have blamed lack of funding for a huge fire that has ravaged the country's National Museum.

One of the largest anthropology and natural history collections in the Americas was almost totally destroyed in Sunday's fire in Rio de Janeiro.

There had been complaints about the dilapidated state of the museum. "We never had adequate support," its deputy director said after the fire.

Presidential candidate Marina Silva also criticised lack of investment.

"Given the financial straits of the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro and all the other public universities the last three years, this was a tragedy that could be seen coming," Ms Silva, a left-wing politician standing in next month's election, tweeted.

The fire started on Sunday evening, after the building - a 19th Century former royal palace - closed for the day. The cause is not known.

No injuries have been reported but most of the 20 million items the museum contained, including the oldest human remains ever found in the Americas, went up in flames.
      "It's unfortunate but the firefighters were not in a position to do anything, to fight anything," he told BBC Brasil's Julia Carneiro.

"They had no water, no ladders, no equipment.

"So we took the initiative to get in to try and save what we could. We had to break down doors. The soldiers helped us carry things."
      Roberto Robadey, a spokesman for the Rio fire department, is quoted by the Associated Press news agency as saying that the hydrants closest to the museum were not working and that firefighters had to get water from a nearby lake.

The fire wrecked Brazil's main museum and one of the region's largest natural history collections.
      I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
      Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
      Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Gillum insists that raising the business tax rate by 40% collects 40% more taxes from businesses. Also, that businesses don't pass that on to consumers.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Kid, I'm not going to have to school your stupid ass on tax policy again, am I?

Speaking of business taxes which get passed on to the consumer, how about those tariffs?!?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
            Gillum insists that raising the business tax rate by 40% collects 40% more taxes from businesses. Also, that businesses don't pass that on to consumers.
            Here we go again. Businesses are not paying their fair share. California raised business taxes, yet we are having an economic boom and most job growth in the country. And no it isn't passed onto consumers.
            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnT View Post
              Kid, I'm not going to have to school your stupid ass on tax policy again, am I?

Speaking of business taxes which get passed on to the consumer, how about those tariffs?!?

I was going to ask why Democrats keep voting for morons, but then you are all morons. Good luck.

Comment

• Lol, you voted for a pro-choice atheist, a man who married not one but two Communists, one supported by an ex-KGB agent who is using this person to enact revenge for when America won the Cold War.

You have no idea what being a true conservative means. You are an embarrassment, a traitor, to the ideals of Dwight Eisenhower, Ronald Reagan, Barry Goldwater and all the conservatives who understood the biggest threat to this country is not Democrats, but spineless weasels such as yourself who are too scared to speak truth to power and are too willing to throw themselves on the autocracy train.

Tragedy is, Kid, you will go to your grave, not merely forgotten like the majority of humanity (present company included), but scorned, mocked, and ridiculed. And you will never, ever, know why.

Comment

• Meanwhile, a true American, one who understands this country far more than you can ever do, was made the face of Nike's 30th Anniversary "Just Do It" campaign...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180903_162916.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	9359008

Comment

• Today is Labour Day in Canada. I took part in the local rally and picnic, with a few hundred friends! If anyone else has a day off for labour day, thank a union!
                    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post

I was going to ask why Democrats keep voting for morons, but then you are all morons. Good luck.
                      Considering who you presently support, you shouldn't throw stones from a glass house, moron.

And I'll leave you with this:

This was a true President. Somebody who truly cared about this country and the people. Oh and he actually put his life on the line for this country.

You ought to understand what he said above. Ultimately this mad lust for power will consume all those who try to seek it.
                      Last edited by Giancarlo; September 3, 2018, 18:50. Reason: Can't seem to get that video embedded... can someone remind me?

Comment

Lol, you voted for a pro-choice atheist, a man who married not one but two Communists, one supported by an ex-KGB agent who is using this person to enact revenge for when America won the Cold War.

You have no idea what being a true conservative means. You are an embarrassment, a traitor, to the ideals of Dwight Eisenhower, Ronald Reagan, Barry Goldwater and all the conservatives who understood the biggest threat to this country is not Democrats, but spineless weasels such as yourself who are too scared to speak truth to power and are too willing to throw themselves on the autocracy train.

Tragedy is, Kid, you will go to your grave, not merely forgotten like the majority of humanity (present company included), but scorned, mocked, and ridiculed. And you will never, ever, know why.

Kid right now.

Comment

Lol, you voted for a pro-choice atheist, a man who married not one but two Communists, one supported by an ex-KGB agent who is using this person to enact revenge for when America won the Cold War.

Ah, didn't know Ike was so cool with the Ds. Did you get that from CNN too?

Look, I'm telling you that the Ds are electing morons because they are morons. That IS truth to power, because you are shamelessly ignoring that.

Comment

• And I'm telling you Rs are electing morons and are morons because they put the biggest moron in the entire United States into the White House. A man that can't even complete a coherent sentence and has no business being President. A man, if it wasn't for daddy's money, wouldn't be good enough to sell newspapers or even shine shoes.

Comment

• JohnT, if you think Ike would have approved of racist mobs destroying public property you must be drunk.

Comment

• pchang
                                pchang commented
                                Editing a comment
                                The cognitive dissonance is strong in this one.

• Ruh roh! Trump approval rate at -14% and house chance of switching to Democrats now at 7 out of 9. New polls after the Manafort verdict and Cohen plea have started to hit.
                              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                              X