No announcement yet.

Fake News Reporting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropping out is opposed by 61% of Americans.

Sixty-one percent of Americans said the country should stay in the agreement, while just 17 percent supported withdrawing. Another 21 percent said they were unsure.
    The ratio reflects the overwhelming support the Paris Agreement has among big players trying to influence the president’s decision. Within the administration, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, Energy Secretary Rick Perry and familial White House advisers Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump support keeping the U.S. in the deal. Corporate giants, including Walmart, General Mills and DuPont, as well as coal companies and oil majors BP, Exxon Mobil Corp. and Royal Dutch Shell, urged Trump to support the accord.
    If he pulls out now, he's just being a dick.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• That's weird, I thought a lot of Americans didn't believe in climate change.

Comment

• 1. Not the same as staying in a climate agreement that all but 2 countries globally have signed onto.
        2. 39% is still a helluva a lot of science skeptics/deniers.
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• We will be the greatest nation at destroying the environment! (Ok, so maybe we already had that one in the bag ... but anyway)

USA! USA! #1!

Comment

• grumbler
            grumbler commented
            Editing a comment
            China says "hi!"

• Great news ... Trump deeply cares about the environment
          and because of this he gets the USA out of the Paris accord which is sooo unfair towards the USA and hopes that he can negotiate a better deal ...
          but if the renegotiations fail, Trump also won't he unhappy

Trump withdraws US from the Paris climate accord, a sweeping step that fulfills campaign promise while seriously dampening global efforts to curb global warming

On a positive sidenote:
          If Trumps plans to become first in the list of worst presidents of the USA, I have no doubt that he will succeed with no problems
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Nice ... Trump claimed that he left the Paris Climate Agreement for his voters in Pittsburgh

The mayor of Pittsburgh has countered this and said that, for the future of his voters in Pittsburgh, he will ensure that Pittsburgh stays true to the Climate Agreement

https://twitter.com/billpeduto/statu...70288344674304
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• I think Trump is stepping down... in his withdrawal from the Paris agreement speech, he said he doesn't want other nations 'laughing at us.'
              There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• IFLScience.com extracted some of the idiocy, falsehoods, and misleading statements from Trump's Rose Garden speech:

So, the US is out of the Paris agreement, and, unsurprisingly, the President made some rather extraordinary claims. Here’s a selection of the strangest, along with a smattering of corrections.

“The world went crazy when the Paris agreement was signed. They went wild. This was because it placed America at a serious economic disadvantage.”

This is essentially a new conspiracy theory. Trump used to continually tell people that climate change was a massive Chinese-led hoax, but he dropped this claim as of late. Now, Trump’s claiming that the world wants to steal America’s money via this agreement – rather than, you know, save the planet and safeguard their children and grandchildren.

“China can do whatever they want. They can build coal plants, and we can’t.”

China and America can both do whatever they want. China is choosing to gradually switch out coal in favor of nuclear, solar, and wind power. America is choosing to shoot itself in the foot.

“This agreement is less about the climate and more countries gaining a financial advantage to the United States.”

Well, ironically, by pulling out of the pact, other countries will gain a financial advantage. Their clean energy markets will continue to produce new jobs, increase efficiency, and save money on climate change prevention measures. America will foot an enormous bill in comparison by attempting to resuscitate the dying coal industry.

“So we’re getting out, but we’ll start to negotiate, to see if we can make a deal that’s fair. If we can that’s great, if we can’t that’s fine.”

Trump here is essentially saying that it is irrelevant whether the US is in any climate change prevention agreement or not. This is the equivalent of saying: “I’m starving. If I get food, great. If not, who cares.”

“In order to fulfil my solemn duty to protect America and its citizens, the US will withdraw from the Paris climate accord.”

By withdrawing from the Paris accord, he is making the US a lonely place that will be economically and climatologically hammered as a direct result.

“I was elected to represent the citizens of Pittsburgh, not Paris.”

Yeah – that’s where the agreement was forged and signed. The agreement itself is not all about Paris, obviously.

Trump also claimed that the agreement is preventing the development of “clean coal”, something that does not exist. (Clean coal is a form of low-carbon coal. He might as well have said that the Paris agreement is preventing America from researching ghosts and pixies.)

“Even if the Paris agreement was implemented in full, it is estimated that it would implement two-tenths of a degree of temperature reduction by 2100.”

The agreement’s text was designed to take in the world’s best science on the subject. If fully implemented, the world’s warming will be restricted to no more than 2°C (3.6°F) by 2100. Currently, we’re on about 1°C (1.8°F) since the Industrial Revolution. So we have 1 degree to prevent, which means Trump is off by a factor of five.

Then again, numbers were never his strong point.

“We don’t want other countries laughing at us.”

Good luck with that one, Donald.

Comment

• Sorry... not fake news...
                  There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• What do people think? Was the Rose Garden announcement the most rambling, incoherent speech even Trump has ever given? I tried to listen, I swear, but I just couldn't withstand the pain caused by forced eye-rolling. Did he have a stroke last week, or what? He can't walk, or talk, or even tweet.
                    The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty…we will be remembered in spite of ourselves… The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation… We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
                    - A. Lincoln

Comment

• Apparently The Onion is also fake news!

Cole Bolton, Editor-in-Chief of “The Onion,” sat down with TODAY’s Willie Geist and how different politicians have reacted to satirical articles written about them, including the current presumptive GOP presidential nominee, Donald Trump.

Comment

• Fake news reports Trump is sleeping even less, perpetually angry, gaining weight, losing stamina.

He used a golf cart while every other head of state walked. Of course, he is a septuagenarian just back from a 5-country, 8-day trip. Still, not exactly the picture of American strength he likes to think of himself as... It was a weak look as he trailed behind the others.

In leaving the Paris Accord, he basically goes against what much of his cabinet, including Tillerman, an oil guy - hell, even Rick Perry - advised. Not to mention Exxon, Shell, Elon Musk, his beloved daughter, half his cabinet, and a host of others. The US will end up taking a huge economic hit in the process, save perhaps a for top dirty energy owners/investors. Now the US is doomed to fall behind in the renewable/clean energy growth market. As the Donald would tweet: Sad. It's downright self-destructive, and against the wishes of 60-71% (pick your poll) of Americans want. It will cost the US respect and puts us at a further trade disadvantage in the process. Nothing about this move makes America better. There is neither political nor economic gain to be had. Our allies are understandably distrustful and not a little alarmed. On his trip, he managed to piss off Germany, England, and basically the rest of NATO. This drives that wedge further. Not to mention, it's a voluntary, self-policed agreement! So he can ignore it anyway.

There is no longer any doubt that Trump has no regard for his own country, and certainly not her citizens. This would be so easy to get right - and he would get the very acclaim and praise he so obviously and constantly craves. But apparently, he's too stupid to even realize that.

I blame the cocaine.

Comment

• Yeah, it is really bad when you are so Twitter addict, that yourontinuous stream if Twitter messages reveals how much/little you sleep

Seems like both, Elon Musk, as well as Disneys CEO Bob Iger have left Trumps advisory boards,
                          as they don't see any sense in advising a president who throws all advices into the wind

Bob Iger said he would quit as an adviser via Twitter, calling the choice a "matter of principle." Tesla CEO Elon Musk is also resigning as an adviser.

Comment

• I wanted him to say that the US is walking away from the Paris Accord because of the continued obstruction of his America First agenda, but his base knows that it's true.
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• It's part of an insurance scam on Mar-a-Lago... once sea levels rise he can collect.

Comment

Working...
                              X