X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by giblets View Post
    You still read newspapers?
    Yes.

Unfortunately newspapers seem to be on the way to extinction. Every year circulation falls and the quality of the articles declines.

More useless stories about celebrities and less real news. :

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
      Profits from foriegn activities to go to U.S. Treasury.
      The rest sounds like hooey, easily circumvented--but this is disturbing. I hadn't read this. The idea of divestment is to decrease the degree of entanglement. Government funds should not come from a man's private business activities.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Elok is a nerd.
        Order of the Fly
        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I'm grateful that ISIS (as a state) is no more, and thus Trump's campaign promises of basically invading Syria and Iraq again is probably off the table.
          Yeah, never mind the fact that they still occupy half of Syria.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Aeson
            Aeson commented
            Editing a comment
            Shhhh ... don't tell Trump that.

Originally posted by Braindead View Post

I see talk in the newspapers that Michelle might run for POTUS in 2020.

Is that viable?

Is she even thinking off standing or are people simply suggesting she might?
          She says no
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post

The rest sounds like hooey, easily circumvented--but this is disturbing. I hadn't read this. The idea of divestment is to decrease the degree of entanglement. Government funds should not come from a man's private business activities.
            Ummm, income tax?
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

Is an entirely different animal. Taxes are impartially skimmed off all revenue sources or transactions meeting certain criteria. That's very different from one man's personal business funneling all its profits into government coffers (at the behest of its owner, who also happens to control the government). It's a drop in the bucket in terms of questionable stuff Trump has done, but it sets a bad precedent to have industry and government so intertwined.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                We don't have to "wait and see" what Trump is going to be like. It's not like he's been shy about telling us who he is, over and over again, for decades. Yes, there is some remote, non-zero probability that upon his inauguration he will undergo a complete and total personality transformation, but why exactly should any of us consider that a reasonable possibility?
                Judging from his recent press conference either he does not change as pres, or that he holds it back until he's pres officially to keep us in suspense
                Blah

Comment

Yeah, I guess many were hoping that he would evolve into being a tad more presidential, but it isn't looking very good on that front.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post

I agree. ABOLISH THE INCOME TAX!!!
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Seven days until ........... (we need a really BIG mushroom cloud icon)

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
                        Interesting restrictions that Trump has installed on his companies that he has now isolated himself from. Ethics Officer and Compliance officer must sign off on any deal. Only domestic deals can be made. Profits from foriegn activities to go to U.S. Treasury. Seems like people may have underestimated his resolve in seperating his business from himself.

PLATO, I have a lot of stuff that I'd like to sell you. You will be very happy with these purchases. PM me.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I wonder if the primary qualification for Ethics and Compliance officer is their ability to say yes.

Comment

To paraphrase Steven Wright-

99% of Trump's supporters give all the rest a bad name...
                            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                              I wonder if the primary qualification for Ethics and Compliance officer is their ability to say yes.
                              A "Chief Ethics Officer" can be just window dressing or somebody with no clout at all.

I reckon ethics is the joint and several responsibility of everyione in an organisation whether it be a huge government or a tiny little place.

However ...........

Anyway pchang you might find this Forbes article on ethics of some interest:

They're supposed to keep companies honest. But as HP's spying scandal proves, having a chief ethics officer doesn't always work.

Comment

Working...
                              X