A victory for polands women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A victory for polands women

The nearly total abortion ban that polands ruling right-wing party planned to implement was rejected by the parliament with overwhelming majority

Poland’s parliament has rejected proposed legislation that would have imposed a near-total ban on abortion.

Poland's parliament rejects a citizens' bill for a near-total ban on abortion, after the government was swayed by nationwide protests on Monday.

Ben won't be happy, I guess
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

that was positive

Comment

Nope, I fail to see why it's a victory for Poland when a majority of Poles voted to ban abortion outright.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        Nope, I fail to see why it's a victory for Poland when a majority of Poles voted to ban abortion outright.
        Poland has far more than 900k inhabitants
        The referendum (which was the reason for the proposed change of law) gathered 450k signatories ... that's just ~1% of the total population of poland.

And while I didn't see any numbers (probably not known) of women (and men) who went to the streets on several polish cities on monday (and other days) to protest the new abortion law, the mass protests must have been impressive enough, as it seems to have been them which made the polish parliament decide against the law (it might have shown them that it is doubtful that the implementation of this law is the will of the majority of poles)
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Sadly, this will mean fewer hot Polish cuties in the future.

Still, good for them for getting their rights.
          Last edited by Dinner; October 6, 2016, 20:10.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

way to make it weird, oerdin.
            I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
            [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

The referendum (which was the reason for the proposed change of law) gathered 450k signatories ... that's just ~1% of the total population of poland.
              The referendum was overwhelmingly in favor of the ban.

And while I didn't see any numbers (probably not known) of women (and men) who went to the streets on several polish cities on monday (and other days) to protest the new abortion law, the mass protests must have been impressive enough, as it seems to have been them which made the polish parliament decide against the law (it might have shown them that it is doubtful that the implementation of this law is the will of the majority of poles
              Right. Why should 100 people protesting >> 450k people?
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

The referendum was overwhelmingly in favor of the ban.

Of course the 450k signatories were overwhelmingly (=100%) pro the ban.
                After all they took the time to support the goal with their sign.

As for the real wishes of the people:
                ...A recent survey published this week by the Newsweek Polska magazine has shown that some 74 percent of Polish people are sticking to a third opinion that the restriction should stay in place without any changes. ...
                People on social media, both in Poland and beyond, have raised their voices in protest against a new abortion ban in Poland that may outlaw all terminations except when it’s a matter of a woman’s life or death.

And with "restriction" they mean the current polish law on abortion (which already is one of the strictest in europe)
                (with the options 1 and 2 being, of course, that the law either should be made stricter according to the Pro-Lifers wishes, or be made more relaxed, according to standards in other european countries)

So, only around 1/4 of the polish people in the poll want the law to be changed (and considering that the 26% also contains people who want the law to be relaxed, one can conclude that less than 1/4 of the people want the law to be made harsher)

Something that also is supported in a Poll of 2012:
                Original:

Translation (Google translate):

In that poll only 9 % of the people queried were for a tightening of the law, 34 % were for relaxing it and 49% were for keeping the existing law
                Last edited by Proteus_MST; October 7, 2016, 01:29.

Comment

So, only around 1/4 of the polish people in the poll want the law to be changed (and considering that the 26% also contains people who want the law to be relaxed, one can conclude that less than 1/4 of the people want the law to be made harsher)
                  Your source does not say that.

Look, if you're going to lie, at least provide a credible source that actually says what you are claiming it says.

Comment

Look, if you're going to lie, at least provide a credible source that actually says what you are claiming it says.
                    You should take your own advice... you lie all the time and never provide credible sources to back up your lies.
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Your source does not say that.

The source says that 74 % of the poles want to keep the current law.
                      That's what counts.

That leaves just 26% of people who want to change the law in any way.
                      And that is by far lower than your claim of:
                      ... a majority of Poles voted to ban abortion outright
                      A claim which you didn't even care to back up by sources btw

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                        That's just normal for BK. He just lies and makes stuff up and never provides sources. And then he "DEMANDS" you provide proof that he is wrong, even though he never provided any support for his lies.
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The source says that 74 % of the poles want to keep the current law.
                          Uh... no. Your source doesn't actually claim that. The source says that there was a poll done, but doesn't mention the sample size.

Without the sample size we can't even assess the error margin of the poll.

Comment

Hey, I just did a poll of Poles of my facebook polish friends and they confirmed that a majority want to ban abortion.

Comment

400k people in a petition is a lot. We didn't get that many against the Hated Sales tax.

Comment

Working...
                              X