Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gunman kills at least 20, injures 42 in Florida gay club shooting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    His survey confirmed that a black man and a white man with the same name are hired at the same rate. That to me would suggest that there's no discrimination whatsoever.

Comment

His survey confirmed that a black man and a white man with the same name are hired at the same rate. That to me would suggest that there's no discrimination whatsoever.

To explain to you the error in your thinking:
      The invitation to a job interview doesn't equate getting the job.

When the interviewer (in the job interview) finds out that,. despite the european sounding name, it is a black person,
      he can still give the job to another (whitze one) person
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Far be it from me to defend a Tweedle, MST, but if blacks and whites with the same names get hired at similar rates, wouldn't that have the opposite implication, i.e. a black man mistakenly interviewed because his name is "Brad" can overcome the prejudice? Or am I misreading this whole argument?

EDIT: Oh, I get it, BK simply made up that "fact" on the grounds that the study cited did not explicitly say otherwise. Gotcha.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Or are you saying the US would have turned fascist in the 1930/40ies without a high number of guns in private hands?
          One of the signature achievements of Hitler in the 30s was gun control in Nazi Germany. So yes, I am making this claim.

That makes as little sense as the claim I recall from an older poly thread (forgot who made it tho) that Switzerland was not attacked by Germany because "ppl had guns at home". Or that Hitler came to power mostly because there was a lack of guns in private hands.
          And Switzerland indeed neither fell to Nazi Germany nor did they spawn a similar Nazi government.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• To explain to you the error in your thinking:
            The invitation to a job interview doesn't equate getting the job.

When the interviewer (in the job interview) finds out that,. despite the european sounding name, it is a black person,
            he can still give the job to another (whitze one) person
            Sure, but that's not what the experiment tested.

A better experiment would be to repeat the same experiments, except you control both sides with the number of applicants of each name. If the white people with specific names are rejected just as often as black people with the same name, it's clearly the problem is one of culture not of race.

That's at least how a proper experiment would have been set up.

say you have 24 applicants. 12 are white, 12 are black.

3 of the white applicants are male, Dick, Harry, etc.

3 of the white applicants are male: D'quan,

3 of the white applicants are female, Anna, etc

3 of the white applicants are female: Shaqueesha or whatever

3 of the black applicants are male: Jim Brown, etc

3 of the black applicants are male: D'quan

3 of the black applicants are female: Mary, Anna, etc

3 of the black applicants are female: Shaqueesha, or etc.

You control both lists of names so that the names are identical. Each pair of names has an identical resume, but you'd do variations among the resumes between the name pairs, so you could track what happens with different resumes too.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• if blacks and whites with the same names get hired at similar rates, wouldn't that have the opposite implication, i.e. a black man mistakenly interviewed because his name is "Brad" can overcome the prejudice? Or am I misreading this whole argument?
              That is exactly my point. The study as designed doesn't actually test that possibility, and so cannot rule it out. It's a tremendous flaw. All it does is take the two different names and then concludes that "black people are discriminated against". Which is not the case. Presumably white people with identical names and resumes would be rejected at the same rate. But. The study doesn't actually bother to test that.

EDIT: Oh, I get it, BK simply made up that "fact" on the grounds that the study cited did not explicitly say otherwise. Gotcha.
              A properly done study would have taken this into account. That it was not done suggests that the study didn't care about doing it right.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	if....jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	9102333
                There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• It's totally reasonable to hate all black people because a black person mugged you, and totally not racist to throw resumes with names like "Kanye" in the trash. /SARCASM

Comment

• and totally not racist to throw resumes with names like "Kanye" in the trash.
                    And Imma let you finish but Saint was the best ****ty name... of all time!

Comment

One of the signature achievements of Hitler in the 30s was gun control in Nazi Germany. So yes, I am making this claim.
                      Gun control made Hitler rise to power which enabled him to implement gun control?

And Switzerland indeed neither fell to Nazi Germany nor did they spawn a similar Nazi government.
                      Alternatives:

"Switzerland was not invaded because Hitler liked cheese/disliked tunnels/had no strategic or ideologic interest in invading Switzerland"

"The UK home isles neither fell to Nazi Germany nor did they spawn a similar Nazi government. Sure they had Spitfires and battleships and whatnot, but they would have done equally well just by deploying guys having shotguns at home".
                      Blah

Comment

• Who doesn't like cheese? Aside from lactose intolerant people. ****ing bigots.

Comment

• Originally posted by giblets View Post
                          Who doesn't like cheese?
                          Cheese has an awful stench and a similar taste, and no, I'm not lactose intolerant.
                          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• cheese is great
                            milk OTOH...

(http://funnyfarts.net/ - If you think "Yoda farts" are funny...http://funnyfarts.net/)I've actually had some requests to complete the fart trilogy, so I ref...

Comment

• It's quite funny that some people refers to Switzerland as a country with many weapons - if the Swiss regulations of weapons was implemented in the US it would be a vast improvement from current third world conditions.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]178282[/ATTACH]
                                I'd have to be on the alligator's side, there's more children than alligators... But I'd have to give the gorilla a pass, there's even fewer of them

Comment

Working...
                                X