Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gunman kills at least 20, injures 42 in Florida gay club shooting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1) there are plenty of countries with tight gun laws that are just as free, if not freer, than the US;
    Like Germany in the 30s?

2) mass gun ownership has done precisely nothing to prevent mass incarceration, the drug war, mass surveillance, and similar affronts to freedom and decency.
    It has kept the US from Fascism, unlike Germany in the 30s. So I'm not sure why Europe is bragging about their 'freedoms' when past historical experience has demonstrated otherwise.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• We perform a field experiment to measure racial discrimination in the labor market. We respond with fictitious resumes to help-wanted ads in Boston and Chicago newspapers. To manipulate perception of race, each resume is assigned either a very African American sounding name or a very White sounding name. The results show significant discrimination against African-American names: White names receive 50 percent more callbacks for interviews. We also find that race affects the benefits of a better resume. For White names, a higher quality resume elicits 30 percent more callbacks whereas for African Americans, it elicits a far smaller increase. Applicants living in better neighborhoods receive more callbacks but, interestingly, this effect does not differ by race. The amount of discrimination is uniform across occupations and industries. Federal contractors and employers who list “Equal Opportunity Employer” in their ad discriminate as much as other employers. We find little evidence that our results are driven by employers inferring something other than race, such as social class, from the names. These results suggest that racial discrimination is still a prominent feature of the labor market.
      If the result is that Black people are hired depending on what their name is, would that not suggest that the discrimination is based, not on race, but culture? What if you did the opposite, with white people with names similar to Cletus, etc?
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• One, the Amendment specifically mentions the "well-regulated militia." Two, it says "shall not be infringed" when referencing some right that is tied to a "well-regulated militia." It seems pretty clear that not everyone is a member of a "well-regulated militia," so not everyone has the rights referred to in the amendment (else the phrase about "well-regulated militia" would not be present). Thus, the clear inference that the people having the right which cannot be infringed are the members of the well-regulated militia, which today is the National Guard.
        being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
        I don't see the word, "national guard" in there anywhere. Seems clear to me that the individual possesses an inherent right to keep and to bear arms.

Comment

• FactBot 1, BK 0

Comment

• His survey confirmed that a black man and a white man with the same name are hired at the same rate. That to me would suggest that there's no discrimination whatsoever.

Unless of course you believe that Harriet Tubman, Jim Brown, Louis Armstrong, Martin Luther King, Hank Aaron, Duke Ellington, Arthur Ashe, Jesse Owens, Rosa Parks, Colin Powell, Jackie Robinson, Frederick Douglass, Clarence Thomas are all Uncle Toms.
            Last edited by Ben Kenobi; June 20, 2016, 01:09.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson View Post
              FactBot 1, BK 0
              Being dumber than a robot

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                His survey confirmed that a black man and a white man with the same name are hired at the same rate. That to me would suggest that there's no discrimination whatsoever.
                FactBot 1, BK -50

Comment

• Originally posted by korn469 View Post
                  I think that the USA would be better off focusing on vastly improving our mental health care system than trying to enforce a gun ban. Honestly I think an EFFECTIVE (which in the US there is no guarantee of that) single payer health system would probably lower gun deaths more than banning high capacity magazines and "scary" looking black rifles.
                  We would be better off raising less mental retards. That's the real problem, why Trump and Hillary are the only choices for POTUS.
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• So the Obama Administration says t his is a hate crime, not Islamic Terrorism. That what you get with a feminist government, and the media let's them pass on that bull****.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Hi, I'm FactBot! I use natural language processing and machine learning to detect and correct false statements. Please do not respond to me (except with more false statements!) as my only programmed function at present is to facilitate misinformation-free discussion. Thanks for engaging with me. I greatly appreciate your falsehoods

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                      So the Obama Administration says t his is a hate crime, not Islamic Terrorism. That what you get with a feminist government, and the media let's them pass on that bull****.

So whatever the motivations of the killer, whatever influences led him down the path of violence and terror, whatever propaganda he was consuming from ISIL and al Qaeda, this was an act of terrorism but it was also an act of hate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                        Like Germany in the 30s?

It has kept the US from Fascism, unlike Germany in the 30s. So I'm not sure why Europe is bragging about their 'freedoms' when past historical experience has demonstrated otherwise.

It doesn't demonstrate otherwise.

Or are you saying the US would have turned fascist in the 1930/40ies without a high number of guns in private hands?

That makes as little sense as the claim I recall from an older poly thread (forgot who made it tho) that Switzerland was not attacked by Germany because "ppl had guns at home". Or that Hitler came to power mostly because there was a lack of guns in private hands.
                        Blah

Comment

• Hey FactBot, I have a challenge for you:

AAHZ has nevar been PWNed in his entire internet career.
                          Order of the Fly
                          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

• I thought AAHZ continuously "pwned" himself ???
                            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

• shh. I'm talking to FactBot.
                              Order of the Fly
                              Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

• I like how feminism gets worked into the Kid narrative even in a case involving a man attacking other men (or were some women involved?) and a bunch of male figures absolving a male-dominated cause of blame for it. It's almost like "feminism" is a perfect abstraction of bugbear-hood divorced from anything resembling its original meaning.
                                1011 1100
                                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                                X