Irish Marriage Equality Referendum Draws Near

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by giblets View Post
    I'd be amazed if all Orthodox Christians and Muslims voted yes, lol.
    they're all in on the plan to put catholics in the camps (as are most catholics).
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• 37 percent of 75 percent of the total population is 27.75% of the total population, so according to your "math" only 52.75% of electorate voted yes. That's wrong.
      The electorate is 75 percent Catholic and 25 percent non Catholic. If we shrank the electorate to 100 voters given the 62 percent yes vote, that means that 62 of these voters were for and 38 against.

Since 25 percent of the total electorate is non-Catholic that leaves us with 25 yes votes. Where do the other 37 yes votes come from? The Catholics.

So that's 37 of the 75 votes. Hardly an 'overwhelming victory'.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        My math is correct.

The electorate is 75 percent Catholic and 25 percent non Catholic. If we shrank the electorate to 100 voters given the 62 percent yes vote, that means that 62 of these voters were for and 38 against.

Since 25 percent of the total electorate is non-Catholic that leaves us with 25 yes votes. Where do the other 37 yes votes come from? The Catholics.

That leaves a split of 37-63 for the Catholics, and that's assuming a 75 percent Catholic vote given the urban/rural split. Electorate tilted urban in turnout so not a bad back of the envelope calculation.
        No Ben, because there are only 75 Catholic voters in your example. You have a 37-38 split among the 75 Catholics.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
          they're all in on the plan to put catholics in the camps (as are most catholics).
          The gays are going to take over the monastaries and have gay orgies just like King Henry VIII

Comment

• i don't recall me personally ever outlawing catholicism, or indeed catholics being put in camps, but it's your paranoid fantasy i suppose.
            You're English. you don't recall all the persecution and executions of Catholics under Bessie? Then Cromwell later on? It's not been exactly a new thing for the English.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• The gays are going to take over the monastaries and have gay orgies just like King Henry VIII
              It was an enormous land and property grab. I'm not sure why you're so blasé about it? As for the math - yeah I corrected that. Still, not correct with JR's statement. The math doesn't support him. Urban turnout meant about 75 percent Catholic turnout.

Comment

• Even if Ireland is "only" 75% Catholic, plus another 5% or so other Christians, the only way this referendum passes is with the tacit support and cooperation of that community, whether through their votes or by not voting.

Ben, that's something you need to come to terms with. Right now, you're just lashing out at an inconvenient outcome. Still, great job twisting the facts until they gave you the possibility of a sub-50% Catholic vote.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Even if Ireland is "only" 75% Catholic, plus another 5% or so other Christians, the only way this referendum passes is with the tacit support and cooperation of that community, whether through their votes or by not voting.
                  Unfortunately the Math indicates that this was passed by the non-Christian massive support for gay marriage.

Ben, that's something you need to come to terms with. Right now, you're just lashing out at an inconvenient outcome. Still, great job twisting the facts until they gave you the possibility of a sub-50% Catholic vote.

JR, JR, JR. I was a protestant before I became a Catholic. I'm well aware of the piss poor Catholic formation. Why do you think I do the job I do? What kind of folks do you think I deal with? I know there are folks like Ming and Rah in the church and that's really what I'm most worried about. They believe that what they want is more important than what God teaches and they are willing to do pretty much anything to get what they want.

They'd be the folks who sell the rest of us out because they want the church to pay for saying No.

Comment

• Also, LOL @ the idea that I needed math to conclude that a 3:1 majority should be able to control a single-issue election.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

You're English. you don't recall all the persecution and executions of Catholics under Bessie? Then Cromwell later on? It's not been exactly a new thing for the English.
                      a referendum where most people, including most catholics, voted for gay marriage = persecution and executions. i would say that you should stop this whining as it's so pathetic, but i'm actually rather enjoying it.

Unfortunately the Math indicates that this was passed by the non-Christian massive support for gay marriage.
                      your assumptions are unfounded and you cannot even add up properly.

I'm well aware of the piss poor Catholic formation. Why do you think I do the job I do? What kind of folks do you think I deal with? I know there are folks like Ming and Rah in the church and that's really what I'm most worried about. They believe that what they want is more important than what God teaches and they are willing to do pretty much anything to get what they want.

They'd be the folks who sell the rest of us out because they want the church to pay for saying No.

and here begins the long retreat from 'catholics didn't vote for this' to 'true catholics didn't vote for this'.
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• The majority of Catholics in Ireland aren't true Catholics, but Boko Haram with less than 10,000 members are true Muslims. /Ben

Comment

• The majority of Catholics in Ireland aren't true Catholics, but Boko Haram with less than 10,000 members are true Muslims.
                          Catholics will have a choice, their faith or the world. Whichever they choose will determine where they go.

Comment

• i'm actually rather enjoying it.
                            I'm sure.

your assumptions are unfounded and you cannot even add up properly.
                            My assumptions are pretty close to what's actually going on.

and here begins the long retreat from 'catholics didn't vote for this' to 'true catholics didn't vote for this'
                            Again, like I said earlier. People will have to choose between their faith and the world, and the surrounding culture. What they choose, and why will determine who they stand with. I know a great many folks like ming and rah who claim to be a part of the Church. I know that there are many folks out there who never learned, or were taught things contrary to what the church teaches. I've seen plenty of it.

What I'm waiting for is the people claiming that they speak for the Church and try to push us out. We'll see how that goes over the next while. Won't be the first time that's happened either.

Comment

My assumptions are pretty close to what's actually going on.
                              there's absolutely no reason to believe that 100% of muslims, orthodox christians or protestants would vote in favour of gay marriage.

Again, like I said earlier. People will have to choose between their faith and the world, and the surrounding culture. What they choose, and why will determine who they stand with. I know a great many folks like ming and rah who claim to be a part of the Church. I know that there are many folks out there who never learned, or were taught things contrary to what the church teaches. I've seen plenty of it.

What I'm waiting for is the people claiming that they speak for the Church and try to push us out. We'll see how that goes over the next while. Won't be the first time that's happened either.
                              yes i'm sure the tide turning against you is very upsetting, but no doubt there'll be a place for bigots inside the catholics church for some time to come at least.

Comment

• there's absolutely no reason to believe that 100% of muslims, orthodox christians or protestants would vote in favour of gay marriage.
                                Non-Christians, at least in the US are the firmest supporters of gay marriage in the US. One would expect in a more secular culture this would become even more true, not less.

yes i'm sure the tide turning against you is very upsetting, but no doubt there'll be a place for bigots inside the catholics church for some time to come at least
                                Yes, last time this happened you took our land, you took our churches. Now they are empty and dying and you're coming for our churches, again. Some things never do change, do they? You'll fall behind again and the process will repeat itself.

It doesn't matter what you do, Cockney. Haven't you figured that out yet? Long after you're dead and gone we'll still be rolling on.

Comment

Working...
                                X