No announcement yet.

Please don't take this too seriously.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now I've seen some of the new Cosmos. I want a cookie.
    AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
    JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

• When I started back at school 2 years ago, it was with the idea that I was going to get a degree in astronomy. That morphed into physics when I came to the realization that an astronomy degree by itself wasn't particularly useful. But I think I'm going to say screw that. I wanted to learn about astronomy and that still excites me. Like, thinking about changing my major to astronomy and signing up for the appropriate classes next semester is exciting. I'm about 30 credits away from a BS in astronomy. There might be a couple gen ed courses I still need. Not sure.

However, neither of the classes I'm taking this semester would contribute to an astronomy degree. If I take a "leave of absence" for this semester, then me totally failing won't **** my GPA or anything, but I have to apply to be reinstated in the school, and I have no idea if that's even probable. Alternatively, I can stick it out, talk to my professors, and maybe pull off passing-ish grades and simply accept the hit to my GPA.

But for the first time in a few months, I actually want to be doing school stuff again. Monkeys.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• I'm a bit behind on this thread but are we still supposed to not take it seriously?
        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• You're not supposed to take it too seriously. Like, I didn't want you all trying to find my relatives/employers/friends and warning them that I was on the verge of death. Any lesser reaction--including apathy, satire, and derision--is perfectly acceptable.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Oh okay.
            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• I've taken it seriously insofar as I'm being nice...
              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• And it's been a breath of fresh air, MOBIUS. Your old persona was wearing rather thin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
                  Especially pot (SAVA) is certified to accelerate and set in minor psychosis syndromes, nomatter the benign mythology that surrounds it.
                  It's a no-no.
                  (even if this is an unpopular view in some circles)
                  If by "unpopular", you mean "factually incorrect". Then yes.

Honestly paiktis... trolling aside, there is science available on the subject. Educate yourself.

The only "mythology" regarding marijuana is the bull**** you believe.

and sorry for threadjack Lori... I hate it when people spew false information
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Ok. I meant it with good intentions though. Not as a troll.

Comment

• there is science available on the subject. Educate yourself.

The only "mythology" regarding marijuana is the bull**** you believe.
                      Science once believed smoking to be healthy too.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                        You're not supposed to take it too seriously. Like, I didn't want you all trying to find my relatives/employers/friends and warning them that I was on the verge of death. Any lesser reaction--including apathy, satire, and derision--is perfectly acceptable.
                        You left out law enforcement and emergency services. You're not hardcore like that IRC guy though.
                        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

When I started back at school 2 years ago, it was with the idea that I was going to get a degree in astronomy. That morphed into physics when I came to the realization that an astronomy degree by itself wasn't particularly useful. But I think I'm going to say screw that. I wanted to learn about astronomy and that still excites me. Like, thinking about changing my major to astronomy and signing up for the appropriate classes next semester is exciting. I'm about 30 credits away from a BS in astronomy. There might be a couple gen ed courses I still need. Not sure.

However, neither of the classes I'm taking this semester would contribute to an astronomy degree. If I take a "leave of absence" for this semester, then me totally failing won't **** my GPA or anything, but I have to apply to be reinstated in the school, and I have no idea if that's even probable. Alternatively, I can stick it out, talk to my professors, and maybe pull off passing-ish grades and simply accept the hit to my GPA.

But for the first time in a few months, I actually want to be doing school stuff again. Monkeys.
                          The longer I reflect on this, the more I feel supportive of the decision - not just to be supportive.

The logic scans. A useless degree in something you're passionate about and will complete is worth infinitely more than a broader degree unfinished. And it might not be useless - passion counts for a lot.

Follow your dreams. -Or your monkeys, if that helps.

No pasarán

Comment

• I was totally wrong about only needing 30 credits. I need 30 credits of astro and physics stuff for the astronomy degree, but the astronomy degree is somewhat light on other requirements for getting to 120. So there's a lot of room for electives--enough that I could fit a minor in there. A minor in CS would probably go a long way to making me more employable. I enjoyed programming quite a lot when I was younger, but I haven't studied it in 10+ years. Technically, I know C++, Java, and V/QBasic, but that knowledge is a tad rusty.

For some reason (probably because I played around with it for fun when I was in middle and elementary school), I still know a great deal of QBasic syntax, which is all pretty useless nowadays. But, for example, I was able to write a short little program last night that computed square roots with a fair degree of accuracy. /me shrugs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
                              Ok. I meant it with good intentions though. Not as a troll.
                              Well you got me either way.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I was totally wrong about only needing 30 credits. I need 30 credits of astro and physics stuff for the astronomy degree, but the astronomy degree is somewhat light on other requirements for getting to 120. So there's a lot of room for electives--enough that I could fit a minor in there. A minor in CS would probably go a long way to making me more employable. I enjoyed programming quite a lot when I was younger, but I haven't studied it in 10+ years. Technically, I know C++, Java, and V/QBasic, but that knowledge is a tad rusty.

For some reason (probably because I played around with it for fun when I was in middle and elementary school), I still know a great deal of QBasic syntax, which is all pretty useless nowadays. But, for example, I was able to write a short little program last night that computed square roots with a fair degree of accuracy. /me shrugs.

A fifty thumbs-up post; I like the way you're thinking.

No pasarán

Comment

Working...
                                X