Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there still any point to the US President having to be a natural-born citizen of the United States?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there still any point to the US President having to be a natural-born citizen of the United States?

It seems like a bit of an anachronism to me. Surely the ideology behind America is opportunity? That any man or woman no matter how humble his or her background can work hard and achieve anything?

The idea of choice pervades everything, yet if someone chooses to move to America and become an American, and chooses to devote their life to public service, and then the US public choose to be represented by that person, that is not allowed due to a technicality of where that person was born.

I understand why it was originally a rule, because the founders were concerned about foreign powers gaining control of a country where democracy was still limited and where the spread of information to the public was extremely scarce. However various rules have changed over the years including the introduction of term limits. Is there still any reason for keeping the natural born rule?

*EDIT: Meant to add a yes/no poll but forgot because I'm an idiot.

I see no reason for it anymore. Maybe a restriction saying you have to at least been a citizen x number of years.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It seems like a bit of an anachronism to me. Surely the ideology behind America is opportunity? That any man or woman no matter how humble his or her background can work hard and achieve anything?
      The ideology is American opportunity, not opportunity in general. When the Founders formed America, the concern was foriegn dominance and entanglements. Given what we've seen later on, it's a quite wise concern. Dropping this, I see no reason why American wouldn't just simply restore the Queen and form a constitutional monarchy.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I see no reason for it anymore. Maybe a restriction saying you have to at least been a citizen x number of years.
        Yeah, what could possibly go wrong with America ruled by a foreigner? I see no way this would end badly for the US.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

It stops Ben being President.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

But it's also stopping Arnie from fulfilling the Demolition Man prophecy.

Comment

I say get rid of the restriction. I mean, it didn't prevent OBAMA
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

It stops Ben being President
                You said it not me. If I wanted to be governed by a Canadian I'd live there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                  You said it not me. If I wanted to be governed by a Canadian I'd live there.
                  Harper or Obama, which do you prefer?
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Sure, but not until the UK allows a Catholic on the throne.
                    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™ View Post
                      But Henry VIII was a Roman Catholic.

Then he had an idea, had a chat with the Monopolies and Mergers Commission, and became an Anglo-Catholic. He didn't get to wear a groovy Papal tiara like that Mrs. Pope in Rome, or those to die for vestments, and missed out on the hunky Swiss Guards, but on the other hand he did get to sh@g 4 more women after ditching the aged Spanish one, and have divorces and annulments and get his ulcerated leg looked after by someone named Culpeper, so win win, really.
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                        Harper or Obama, which do you prefer?
                        Harper's a reasonably smart guy. I think he's probably more competent than Obama at any rate.

The original purpose of course was to prevent the European tomfoolery where the monarch's connection to the country could be rather loose. Today, it's an anachronism which will probably remain for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™ View Post
                          You mean one of the changes which has already received Royal Assent and which is now waiting on the other Commonwealth nations to approve? Yeah, it should be fixed within a couple of years.

Comment

Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

the only good monarch is a dead monarch
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X