Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How will the Affordable Care Act laws affect you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pchang View Post
    I don't really consider myself to be rich (don't live in a mansion or have a chauffeur or any of that stuff).
    Dude, think it through: assuming you're at or above half a mil a year as your family income, you're in the 1%. You probably have a couple of mil squirreled away (assuming you're 40 or so). That's rich. It's not mega rich, but it's a fundamentally upper class, "I don't really have to worry about money" lifestyle.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Thanks to the premium payment assistance under ACA, my highest monthly premium would be only $251, for the best quality plan with the most offered. With my health though, the lowest-cost one ($206 a month) under the Enhanced Silver 70 tier might suffice for me.
      That's roughly 5x what I pay.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Actually, if I were to make bets about who would do something criminally violent and end up on the news, BK would perhaps be on the top of my list... him and DFG.
        Actually, I'd probably be tops on the list of 'polytubby most likely to serve time', but 'criminally violent'? I don't see it.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
          Dude, think it through: assuming you're at or above half a mil a year as your family income, you're in the 1%. You probably have a couple of mil squirreled away (assuming you're 40 or so). That's rich. It's not mega rich, but it's a fundamentally upper class, "I don't really have to worry about money" lifestyle.
          Yes this is true, but I grew up thinking rich = Thurston Howell III
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
            That's roughly 5x what I pay.

Actually, I'd probably be tops on the list of 'polytubby most likely to serve time'
            You are a special snowflake.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

This is has been on CNN a couple times now:

To be fair, he certainly showed only the ones that gave the funny answers, but it's not hard to imagine that there are others who confuse the two just as easily. About how many?

How do you feel about Obamacare? How about the Affordable Care Act?

They're two different names for one law, but a new poll shows more Americans oppose the president's signature health care law when it has his name attached than when it's called the official name.

According to a new CNBC poll that surveyed two different groups, 46% of the group that was asked about "Obamacare" was opposed to the law, while 37% of the group asked about the "Affordable Care Act" was opposed to the law.

At the same time, more people support "Obamacare" (29%) than those who support ACA (22%.) In other words, having "Obama" in the name "raises the positives and the negatives," as CNBC put it.

It's also important to note that 30% didn't know what the ACA was, compared to 12% who weren't familiar with Obamacare, according to the poll.

The word "Obamacare" has taken on a roller-coaster trajectory of its own, first coming into favor with Republicans as a criticism of the law, and more recently, as the subject of Democratic efforts to reclaim it.
              I place most of the blame on the Obama administration that has done a dismal job of selling the program to the American people. The republicans have capitalized on this by exaggerating the negatives, but can you really blame them? Had Obama gave more than vague speeches about the positives, Americans might have a better understanding about the law. Congressmen haven't read it, so how can anyone expect the average American to? Clearly, the public opinion polls are useless as to whether Obamacare/ACA is a good or bad law.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I'm not sure it's possible to sell something as complex as Obamacare to an electorate with the atten-SQUIRREL!
                "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

I place most of the blame on Obama for turning ACA into a bureaucratic nightmare.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I place most of the blame on Obama for turning ACA into a bureaucratic nightmare.
                    Can you list specifics for the class?
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Pretty sure that was inevitable given the design-by-antagonistic-committee nature of the process. The only way it doesn't happen is if the democrats actually had thrown their weight around when they had the power to do so and rammed through single payer. Which is a different bureaucratic nightmare, I'm sure, but a lesser one than what we ended up with.
                      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                        Can you list specifics for the class?
                        Why don't you start with the very idea of the federal government attempting to run a market in insurance for no earthly reason I can see?
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Then add in the unbelievably detailed requirements for what coverage must be offered as part of the insurance policies.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm not sure existential questions are "specifics".

edit: x-post

Comment

Then add in the silliness of the medical device tax, the tanning tax and the limits on insurance executive compensation.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
                                I'm not sure existential questions are "specifics".

edit: x-post
                                Are you retarded?
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X