Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How will the Affordable Care Act laws affect you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lori - my point is not that there is never a free lunch, but that in this case there are pretty clearly not enough savings to offset the clear dead weight losses from increased marginal tax rates (both the one I face as well as the benefit phaseout faced by lower middle income people) and certainly not enough to pay for the benefits accruing to some.

Costs to losers = benefits to winners + dead weight losses - free lunches

In my opinion, the smallest piece of that equation by far is the free lunch aspect. I have yet to see an analysis that provides a serious challenge to that view.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Please cite where you're "seeing" this. The income cutoff for premium subsidies (which will be in the form of a tax credit, refundable and advanceable) is 400% of the poverty line. I believe that's currently about $45k.
      From reports regarding the actual numbers. As well as the usual sky-high deductables. Kaiser has sold you a load of horsecrap, which is exactly what we've been saying since day one, JR.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Of course there isn't a free lunch. This just places slightly more of the burden on those that can carry it.

Hey, KH, if you don't want to be part of a society that allows you to make a lot of money, feel free to GTFO.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Hey Sava, you ********, I have never denied the general wisdom of doing SOME redistribution.

Thanks for playing.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You are the lefty slowwie. Not even an attempt at rational thought, just pure mood affiliation.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
              Hey Sava, you ********
              That's more like it.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

You're welcome. Now go back to taking on people you have a chance of not embarrassing yourself against.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't have any shame and therefore cannot be embarrassed. I post merely for my own amusement.

Aside from the experience in your particular field, I doubt you have an understanding of a single subject more than I have... or at least, an understanding that I couldn't equal with an hour's worth of reading.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                    Wow, this might be the biggest lie Fun has ever told. I'm seeing people making 18k a year with a kiddo who get no assistance at all.
                    I'm not lying. I simply entered the data for myself, adjusting only the income, saying that I make $30,000.

The site showed me what I qualified for, which would have included premium payment assistant if I had made $30,000 a year. You can go to the Covered California site yourself, and enter the same data I did -

single (have a partner, but we're not married yet)
                    no child
                    $30,000 a year in income
                    and 36 years of age.
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                      It's pretty clear that for this to be good for the poor and unemployed (which on net it probably is, though not by any means universally) it has to be bad for other people, namely the full-time employed and the rich. This is not a free lunch; it is yet another redistribution plan.
                      If I was well off, I would not mind for some of my taxes to go toward helping the less fortunate, nor would I mind if it meant I would have to pay a little more.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

My taxes already were going to that end, you twit. The point is that you can't defend each incremental piece of redistribution with a declaration on the general principle.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I get to watch 'Muricans heads explode.
                          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                            Hey, KH, if you don't want to be part of a society that allows you to make a lot of money, feel free to GTFO.
                            cuz Sava speaks for society - what he wants, you provide

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                              what he wants, you provide
                              I don't know about speaking for a monolithic entity... an abstract idea. But if anyone should, it's me.

I will agree with the second part. Everyone is self-serving. The people who work to provide do so for their own personal reasons. The people who benefit from that work do so for their own personal reasons. That's why such arrangements function. It's called being part of a family. Everybody contributes as best they can.

I've never been the most productive person in a family in terms of income. I likely never will. I'm not bothered by that. I'm not driven to earn money. Others are. And that's fine.

But I just wanted to get KH to call me a ********... that's all.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                                From reports regarding the actual numbers. As well as the usual sky-high deductables. Kaiser has sold you a load of horsecrap, which is exactly what we've been saying since day one, JR.
                                MrFun basically posted that an individual with $30k annual income could receive a government subsidy toward health insurance premiums. You called him a liar. I then posted a link showing MrFun is correct.

Rather than admitting you were wrong (or, to be generous, mistaken), you respond by saying Kaiser's insurance sucks. Which is not under discussion. (BTW, Kaiser Permanente is not my insurance company; just a convenient source for proving you wrong.)

That's not even moving the goalposts; it's more like changing the entire topic. Ben Kenobi, you are a liar and a jerk.
                                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                                X