X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MikeH View Post
    Not acceptable homophobic language IMO.
    I've seen counterglow.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• I wasn't referring to most folks, I was quoting you. Just you.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• It's ok that Ben doesn't consider the "Church of England" to be truly Christian, in his most backwards Catholic viewpoint (even the Papacy has asserted Protestants are Christian). We can simply dust off the good ole' "Pope as Anti-Christ" thing.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• To be fair, out of all the possible reasons to break away from the RC, "they won't grant our king a divorce" has to right at the bottom.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Though, declaring a King to be "Defender of the Faith" and then turning around and not granting him an annulment (which was kind of common in those days among the princely-caste) was a bit silly (Yes, I realize the Pope was scared to death of the Spanish at the time).
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• My understanding of the CoE:

Originally posted by Yes, Prime Minister
              Sir Humphrey Appleby: The Queen is inseparable from the Church of England.
              Jim Hacker: And what about God?
              Sir Humphrey Appleby: I think he is what is called an optional extra.
              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• It's ok that Ben doesn't consider the "Church of England" to be truly Christian, in his most backwards Catholic viewpoint (even the Papacy has asserted Protestants are Christian). We can simply dust off the good ole' "Pope as Anti-Christ" thing.
                Last I checked, they executed dissenters too.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Though, declaring a King to be "Defender of the Faith" and then turning around and not granting him an annulment (which was kind of common in those days among the princely-caste) was a bit silly (Yes, I realize the Pope was scared to death of the Spanish at the time).
                  As silly as founding a new cult of the Emperor? And killing people who refused to worship you? England lived through that idiocy.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                    Last I checked, they executed dissenters too.
                    *ahem* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Hus

(among many others)

Comment

As silly as founding a new cult of the Emperor? And killing people who refused to worship you? England lived through that idiocy.
                      And are obviously better for it. At the very least, they abandoned the damnable idea of works righteousness!

Comment

• Yes, and? So did Luther for that matter. If you were a dissenter this whole 'reformation club' didn't include you.

Comment

• And are obviously better for it. At the very least, they abandoned the damnable idea of works righteousness!
                          They owned an Empire under the Angevins. And it wasn't until after Catholic emancipation that things really took off for the Victorian era. Coincidence, I think not.

Comment

Yes, and? So did Luther for that matter. If you were a dissenter this whole 'reformation club' didn't include you.
                            Don't act like the Anglicans could come close to matching the bloodthirstiness of the Catholic heresy hunters.

& Luther didn't and couldn't execute anyone. He wasn't in charge of any state apparatus. I don't think his stinging insults count as an execution. Maybe to your heart?

Comment

• Don't act like the Anglicans could come close to matching the bloodthirstiness of the Catholic heresy hunters.
                              It wasn't the Anglican church that saw their heirarchy wiped out. So yes, you are correct here that the Anglicans didn't come close. They surpassed.

& Luther didn't and couldn't execute anyone.
                              Small comfort to the dissenters who were, that the Lutherans finally apologized for burning them at the stake.

He wasn't in charge of any state apparatus. I don't think his stinging insults count as an execution. Maybe to your heart?
                              And the Catholic church was in charge of a state apparatus?

Comment

They owned an Empire under the Angevins. And it wasn't until after Catholic emancipation that things really took off for the Victorian era. Coincidence, I think not.
                                Please don't be ridiculous. If you're seriously trying to argue that Britain wasn't a major power until the 18th century, then you're a bigger dumbass than I thought.

Comment

Working...
                                X