No announcement yet.

Pope sends direct message to Ben

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also, BK, he was referring to your grammar. "The hierarchy is not run the same way."
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• The imperfect is a verb form, found in various languages, which combines past tense (reference to a past time) and imperfective aspect (reference to a continuing or repeated event or state). It can therefore have meanings similar to the English "was walking" or "used to walk." It contrasts with preterite forms, which refer to a single completed event in the past.
      This is the correct tense. The imperfect of 'run' is 'ran'.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Reading Wiki's article on the GR in more depth now. Not sure it really counts as a "conquest" when quisling elements in the nation's own legislature invite you, there are widespread riots in your favor, and the other guy doesn't even try all that hard to resist you. Sounds like William of Orange just culture-flipped London. Tricky Cre/Fin bastard's awful good at that, isn't he?
        1011 1100

Comment

• When did that happen? Was there ever a period where the Netherlands actually invaded another European power and won? I don't recall hearing that they were even especially good at beating up on smallpox-ridden Native Americans...

EDIT: Ah, the Glorious Revolution. I'd forgotten about that particular historical hiccup. Reminds me of that time we conquered Iraq...
          Yes, the strangest thing is that it was only the fourth King Willy who was born in England. Despite it's commonality as an English name.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• The really interesting part is how they came up with Sophia of Hanover, after they had their whole revolution and realized the entire line was gone. Also the Test Act and the Act of Supremacy. Not well covered in American history, but quite important all the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
              This is the correct tense. The imperfect of 'run' is 'ran'.
              That would be great if you were actually using the imperfect--I'm not aware of the tense as such even existing in the English language. We typically use the past progressive ("was running") where Spanish-speakers use their imperfect, as your source notes. Anyway, you said "is ran," and the present-tense "is" pretty well rules out any past-tense intentions.
              1011 1100

Comment

• That would be great if you were actually using the imperfect--I'm not aware of the tense as such even existing in the English language. We typically use the past progressive ("was running") where Spanish-speakers use their imperfect, as your source notes. Anyway, you said "is ran," and the present-tense "is" pretty well rules out any past-tense intentions.
                It would be if the Catholic church were not also ran this way in the past and that there is a continuous unbroken running of things throughout. I'm familiar with the imperfect - we do take French up here, Elok.

"Run" implies that it is the way that it is run now - and not the way that it was in the past. "Is ran", implies that while it is being ran now, in the same fashion as previous. I was thinking of continuous verb, and that's 'ran'.

Comment

• you are completely wrong and not just about the grammar.

by the way in latin languages the imperfect is a past tense. in english we use the past continuous "was running", or used to or would, or the simple past, to express those ideas.
                  "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• WTF? That's gibberish. The imperfect, in languages which have it, is used in exactly the same way we use the past progressive and the "used to" construction. "Is ran," "was ran," and anything else using the past tense in place of the past participle are all ungrammatical nonsense. Just admit it was a typo, man. This doubling down is simply bizarre.

Xpost
                    Last edited by Elok; September 25, 2013, 21:25. Reason: typo--see, I admit it!
                    1011 1100

Comment

• anything else using the past tense in place of the past participle are all ungrammatical nonsense
                      Actual grammar backs me up. Arguing, "we don't use that tense in English" failed. Anything else you want to trash me for as a proxy for attacking my educational qualifications? The only thing more satisfying than dealing with douchey grammar nazis is when they err in their ignorance.

Comment

• by the way in latin languages the imperfect is a past tense. in english we use the past continuous "was running", or used to or would, or the simple past, to express those ideas.
                        Labelling it a 'past tense' isn't really correct. It's a whole different tense that confers the idea of something in continuous operation, and something that is both true, then and now. Saying that they are ran differently is true, both now and in the past. Saying that they are run differently implies that this might not have been true in the past.

Comment

• Originally posted by DinoDoc View Post
                          Is there a meaningful difference between Anglican and Catholic Doctrine?
                          No. They are both heretics who are going to burn.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• is dry humping a sin?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                              Labelling it a 'past tense' isn't really correct. It's a whole different tense that confers the idea of something in continuous operation, and something that is both true, then and now. Saying that they are ran differently is true, both now and in the past. Saying that they are run differently implies that this might not have been true in the past.
                              it deals with events in the past. of course it's a past tense. once again you are wrong. the imperfect deals with past situations, things which used to be true and no longer are and things which used to happen and no longer do.

let's take a couple of sentences. in english, french and portuguese

i was smoking outside when it started to rain
                              je fumais en dehors quand il a commencé à pleuvoir
                              eu estava fumando lá fora quando começou a chover

i used to smoke
                              je fumais
                              eu fumava

when i was young, i would smoke 20 a day
                              quand j'étais jeune, je fumais 20 par jour
                              quando eu era jovem, fumava 20 por dia

all these actions have now stopped. they don't continue. for actions which start in the past and continue until now, you need to use the present perfect.

the form you looking for to express your idea is something like "they have always been run differently."
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                                is dry humping a sin?
                                Only if your underwear is made from mixed fabrics.
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X