No announcement yet.

Swiss to vote on ending Militia system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the Germans just looked up and said, "nope, not climbing that, lets go freeze on the steppes instead!"
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
      Venice maintaining a huge navy and fielding large armies wasn't pointless in the 14th century either, but gosh some things change over time.

Also the Swiss army was not the reason they didn't get invaded by the Germans, the terrain of Switzerland was.
      Because if there was one thing the German military was infamous for during WW2, it was making sober assessments of the environment while war planning.
      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Not to mention, the terrain would have been pretty much a non-factor if the Swiss had a small army. Climbing up mountains may be difficult, but it's people shooting down at you that makes it really costly.

Besides which, the tallest mountains are in the south. The northern part looks more like West Virginia.

Comment

Because of the long history of neutrality, the army does not take part in armed conflicts in other countries, but does take part in peacekeeping missions around the world.
          They may be neutral, but Swiss are renowned for their efforts.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Strategic advantage of Switzerland?

I think itd be nice to have an entity hold on to your money just in case things go south. If you need to roll em they're right there.
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Didn't the Swiss avoid getting invaded by Germany because they basically hid all the higher ups' money?

Why can't that happen again?
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Switzerland didn't get invaded because it was already surrounded by the Axis and there were higher priorities.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                  Didn't the Swiss avoid getting invaded by Germany because they basically hid all the higher ups' money?

Hide their money from whom? Nazis weren't too concerned about legal oversight. And that theory ignores what we know about Operation Tannenbaum.
                  John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I don't understand why right wing idiots want America to more resemble... say... Somalia.
                    Never took Felch for a sharia law supporter.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Yes and no. Yes they were very cooperative with the Nazi regime convincing it that it was more valuable to them as a friendly neutral (both by laundering money but also even by cooperating to prevent people escaping into Switzerland) but another part of the deterent was that they had a decent sized army with really good mountain defenses. I'm sure it didn't hurt that Switzerland really wasn't worth invading to begin with.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                        Never took Felch for a sharia law supporter.

Somalia is the end state for all Libertarian circle-jerks. "I hate government! We need a place where government is nearly non-existent. Let the free market sort things out!"
                        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Wrong. Libertarian thought doesn't devolve into anarchy, because anarchy actually results in authoritarianism. Anarchy doesn't really exist. Someone is ruling somebody. Government is just the biggest and toughest organized crime syndicate in the neighborhood. Ours happens to have elections.

There are people who do think that we should have essentially no central government and believe it would somehow magically work, but they aren't libertarians, they're anarchists.
                          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

No.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                              Because if there was one thing the German military was infamous for during WW2, it was making sober assessments of the environment while war planning.
                              The German high command made careful plans and sober assessments of most things they planned on doing. Hitler had a habit of forcing issues however.

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                              So the Germans just looked up and said, "nope, not climbing that, lets go freeze on the steppes instead!"
                              The plan (Operation Tannenbaum like Felch mentioned) hoped to draw out the Swiss army to be destroyed. There was however a very real danger that the Swiss would simply pull back its army and citizens into the more mountainous region and then successfully completing the operation could have been hugely costly. Then again there was also a chance that the whole thing could have been pulled off peacefully, as another anschluss. If they'd tried the threat of invasion however and it had turned into a war in the mountains, that would have potentially dragged on and tied up large amounts of troops that would be more useful for Barbarrossa or other operations. The German plan was for 11 divisions and 15 Italian divisions.

It's become a bit of a stupid conservative talking point that they didn't get invaded because of their gun ownership. That's just idiotic however.

Comment

It's better than throwing rocks.
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X