No announcement yet.

Texan Bigotry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also, someone let me know if BK believes in Adam and Eve literally. I'm not reading his posts.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Except if one looks at nature and human societies the world over, there are many different ways of propagating, forming unions and arranging society.
      And none of them involve Gay Marriage because Gay marriage doesn't propagate. That's an argument from anthropology against your position.

Let alone the fact that the myth of 'Adam & Eve' is hardly meant to be taken literally
      I see. So what part of the bible is meant to be taken literally? The part where Jesus says, "blessed are the meek"? Anything else? Oh wait, "God is Love". Meaning that love is God and I should worship my own feelings.

except by really obtuse & stupid people in losing arguments.
      You don't give yourself enough credit.

Modern marriage and romance has more to do with Mediaeval courtly love and romances- themselves based on garbled Celtic legends and Islamic tales.
      Yawn. Still doesn't get you to the argument that gay marriage is ok.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• la la la la I can't hear you
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• I'm wondering if Sister Bendy of Apartheid is at all familiar with the history of the struggle to achieve racial equality in the U.S. . When black people could not be served at the same counter as white, or order from the same hatch as whites, or drink from the same fountain, use the same schools....
          That was in 1950 and 1960s. That was 50 some years ago. The only people who experienced such things are in their late 50s, 60s now. Given that we have racial equality now, why are black people doing worse? Today black students have significant education gaps between their peers, and this includes asian students (who suffer the same discrimination, fwiw), and perform much better.

A big reason for it is the fact that black people tend to have children out of wedlock. It's a one way ticket into poverty. Who forces them into this? Nobody. Why do they persist in this behaviour? Maybe you can answer that question. Is it because black people are too dumb, or is it because society itself rewards this behaviour through distribution of public benefits?

In 50 years, little has changed. Black people actually had less of a difference from white folks in 1950. Of course, back then having a child out of wedlock was frowned upon. Now it's the norm. If the only 'dad' you have in your life is absent are you as likely to do as well as a family with dad in the home? No.

I teach my students this - we can complain about our racial grievances and use them as an excuse to do poorly or we can move on and be individuals and acheive because that is what we are capable.

As for 'lack of compassion', I've experienced plenty of discrimination in my life. You either let it define you or you overcome it.

the people framing and enforcing those discriminatory laws thought of themselves as law-abiding Christians.
          That was 50, 60 years ago. When they are all dead, are they going to get blamed by you as to why the black man still is doing poorly?

Even the ones who strung up black men, mutilated their genitals and then set fire to their bodies- the souvenir postcards sold aftre show happy smiling family ouitings. White family outings, of course.
          Today a black man is more likely to die from another black man than he was likely to die from any cause in 1950. Is this progress?

Which part of their firmly held Christian beliefs undeprinned those laws and acts, Sister Bendy ? Would that be the 'love they neighbour' part, the 'thou shalt not kill' part, or the ideas behind the parable of the Good Samaritan ?
          The part where every other conceivable race and combination does better than them? Is this racial discrimination or sloth?
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Do you read New Testament Greek ? If not, then what you're reading in a biblical text is a translation of what an author wrote. Also, Paul (or whoever) wrote specifically at a time and in a particular society- and many if not most same sex realtionships at that time were of the Hellenistic adult male-boy ephebe type. One has only to look at the famous case of the Emperor Hadrian and Antinous for instance. But I forget- you know all about the history fo same sex relationships down the ages....
            The text explicitly refers to sodomites in the Greek. It is interesting that the old lies never stop.

Comment

• And I'd love to hear the reply. The female children were not important enough to be mentioned. Equality at it's best.
              All genealogies are pruned to include the most relevant parts. Were there other children? Yes. Do we know their names? No, we don't.

Comment

• Anyways, the Divorce discussion interests me because Ben (and Felch) were very interested in telling me that God's rules don't change and therefore a newly revealed truth about homosexuality was impossible. But in the Jesus narrative about divorce, it seems that God's rules DID change - why? Because the people were hard of heart - ie, they weren't ready for what God wanted at that time. So which is it?
                Jesus's argument is that in the beginning there was Adam and Eve, one man and one woman and that Adam and Eve are the ideal for marriage. Not only does Jesus argue that this was the intent of creation, but that this is how the rules have always been. Jesus states that allowing divorce was a deviation from the ideal. The rules haven't changed - just that the ideals are what they have always been - that the Old Testament is fulfilled (made complete) through the new.

Now, Imran, you claim that 'the new revelation that sodomy was a sin', was just that, new. It's not, it's all throughout the bible. Your statement appears nowhere within. How did you come to this conclusion?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava View Post
                  I would disagree with you on both accounts. First, the Adam and Eve story is demonstrably false. Don't take my word for it. God created this world with all its rules and laws. If you disagree with reality, take it up with him. Also, I think a very small minority of Christians actually believes in creationism.

You are a nice guy and I like you. So I'm not about to call you all sorts of names like I do BK.
                  It's fine to disagree. I believe God created the world, and Adam and Eve. The details I don't know and I'm fine with it. If it turns out he used a different way than I believe, that's ok. But I do believe the Bible when it tells me Adam and Eve are real people who lived on this Earth.

Furthermore, I haven't met a single priest or bishop in the Orthodox church who believes in such things to be literally true. And I know a lot of priests. Even among their ranks, creationism isn't a popular belief. I doubt even modern Popes have suggested such a thing is true.

So you are definitely part of a fringe minority on this issue, Nikolai.
                  I know priests who do. I don't know any bishops. But in the end, this is a minor issue as I see it. I'm fine with being in the minority, if that is what I am.

And I'll echo rah's sentiments by saying I'm not trying to be rude. But the fact is, literal creationism isn't a belief held by mainstream Christianity.

If believing in it works for you, that's okay. But you should know that doing so severely diminishes your credibility on just about every conceivable topic. This isn't my judgment alone, by the way.
                  It's okay, I don't take offence. I can't see how me believing in what the Bible tells me diminishes my credibility on other, totally disconnected topics though. I am a historian for example, how is my credibility on my field damaged by what I believe about the world's origins? If that is how it is though, I'll accept that and don't really care. I need to stay true to my beliefs.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                    If you follow that line of reasoning to it's natural conclusion, it would suggest that having sex with family members is absolutely morally fine, but just a bad idea because of genetics.
                    Well isn't why its morally not ok (or rather why it started as being morally not ok) because of genetic abnormalities that result?
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                      The abusers claim that 'it's got nothing to do with my beliefs'. Which usually means that it's got everything to do with my beliefs. People lie, Kentonio. They lie when they believe that not lying will make them lose face.
                      Nikolai believes a lot of the same stuff as you. People do not think Nikolai is a lying scumbag with no moral compass or human empathy. Put your victim card away, you're embarrassing yourself.

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                      I would suspect that an outside observer would conclude that yes, the fellow not resorting to personal attacks would be considered the reasonable one.
                      Lots of repulsive bigots also spread their vile filth without resorting to personal attacks. This not not make them any less bigoted or repulsive. Just a hint though, when you drop into someones thread celebrating their engagement and **** all over it, that is a form of personal attack.

Given that the folks confronting me don't have anything to substantiate their allegation, I am challenging them to prove their case is actually relevant to this thread.
                      You are a compulsive liar. Would you care to disagree?

So that warrants personal attacks because, "you don't like the person"?
                      Absolutely. You are everything that is wrong with the world rolled up into a single waste of human body parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                        Well isn't why its morally not ok (or rather why it started as being morally not ok) because of genetic abnormalities that result?
                        To me sure, but then again I don't follow the belief that a higher power set out a firm ruleset of behavior based around his own creations. If it was morally ok, then why would a god make an otherwise acceptable practice causes genetic abnormalities?

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                          To me sure, but then again I don't follow the belief that a higher power set out a firm ruleset of behavior based around his own creations. If it was morally ok, then why would a god make an otherwise acceptable practice causes genetic abnormalities?
                          The obvious answer would be sin. Sin corrupts everything, that's what the Bible teaches.
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                            Not only does Jesus argue that this was the intent of creation, but that this is how the rules have always been. Jesus states that allowing divorce was a deviation from the ideal. The rules haven't changed - just that the ideals are what they have always been - that the Old Testament is fulfilled (made complete) through the new.
                            Matthew 19 (NIV):
                            3Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?”

4“Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’a 5and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’b ? 6So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

7“Why then,” they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?”

8Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”
                            Moses permitting being, of course, the Law of the Old Testament. So how didn't the rules change if the Law allowed for divorce?

How did you come to this conclusion?
                            1 John 4:8
                            Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
                            Matthew 22:39
                            And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
                            The grand scope of Scripture seems to build to the idea that God's love encompasses all and that which violates loving neighborliness is to be rejected. We learn more and more of it as time goes by. The Spirit, as always, guides us and keeps revealing to us the truths of God, which we were to hard of hearts to hear in earlier ages. May it continue forward.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Jon Miller

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                                The obvious answer would be sin. Sin corrupts everything, that's what the Bible teaches.
                                Yes, but sin has a point. Without sin there is no free will, because everything you do would be fine. If incest is not sinful, then how does it make any sense that it leads to horrors like genetic abnormalities?

Comment

Working...
                                X