Kansas based Catholic newspaper comes out in supprt of women priests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
    You call people 'bigots' whenever they criticize Mormons and you're pulling this crap?
    I think you misunderstand me. I don't have a problem with someone who says "I disagree with Mormons. I think that Mormon beliefs are wrong." And then makes a blanket statement that "Mormons are wrong about x" as long as x has to do with the Mormon belief system. That's totally legitimate and not bigotry. You choose to be Mormon.

I am saying that someone who makes a specific choice about their body is making a choice I personally think is foolish. I am making a judgement about them based on their choices.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Or cacophilia?

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Because you can't see the similarity between yourself and people that consider homosexuality a mental illness?
        I think you'd be kidding yourself if you didn't consider homosexuality a mental abnormality*. I wouldn't call it an illness because it has no ill effects. Something that drives you to self mutilation pretty unambiguously passes the "illness" test.

*If anyone is offended by this, I urge you to reconsider what the word "abnormal" means and what it implies.

Comment

Or dolphinoplasty?

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
            Or dolphinoplasty?

JM

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
              I think you'd be kidding yourself if you didn't consider homosexuality a mental abnormality*. I wouldn't call it an illness because it has no ill effects. Something that drives you to self mutilation pretty unambiguously passes the "illness" test.

*If anyone is offended by this, I urge you to reconsider what the word "abnormal" means and what it implies.
              If someone considers circumcision to be "mutilation" would it be okay for them to declare Judaism a mental illness? Why can't a sane person decide it's in their interest to alter their body?

Comment

There is a substantial difference in degree between circumcision and sex reassignment surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                  There is a substantial difference in degree between circumcision and sex reassignment surgery.
                  So Jews and a majority of Americans are only a teeny tiny bit insane?

Comment

If someone considers circumcision to be "mutilation" would it be okay for them to declare Judaism a mental illness? Why can't a sane person decide it's in their interest to alter their body?
                    Being transexual is not a mental illness due to mutilating yourself, it is because saying 'reality doesn't fit what I imagine it to be' is a mental illness and not a reality illness (usually).

But yes, if you are not a Jew/etc, circumcision would be mutilation.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• HC's feelings on transgenders and homosexuality are pretty much the same as mine on mormons.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• It's a mental state. It is called gender disphoria. It is / can be diagnosed by mental health workers, FWIU.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                          There is more truth to this statement than you know
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                            That wouldn't really follow from what he said. There are any number of behaviors that are healthy when done a little and very unhealthy when done a lot. For example, washing your hands gently after you sneeze when you have a cold vs. scrubbing them till they bleed every time you touch an unsterilized surface. The former is rational behavior, the latter is OCD.

As for the trannies, they squick me out and I do believe that hating your own flesh that way warrants the name "sickness"; however, since there's no cure for it, it seems kindest to let them self-mutilate.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                              There is more truth to this statement than you know
                              Says the born again christian

(sorry I just had to make a dig, don't mind me )

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                                But yes, if you are not a Jew/etc, circumcision would be mutilation.
                                So they get a pass on the mutilation thing, because....?

Comment

Working...
                                X