The Official 2012 Presidential Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
    Obama has Ohio and possibly Virginia. 275 electoral votes as of this moment. It was worth standing in the cold for 2 hours listening to the red staters running their mouths off. What they didn't notice is how many of their neighbors just kept their mouths shut, smiled, and nodded their heads. Surprise Reds, Virginia just may not be Red anymore.
    Funny thing for a commie to say...
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
      I've never found a brazilian girl in my bed at night, obviously brazilian girls must not sleep.
      Well sure, you're a pasty Englishman, what do you expect?

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
        The Senate should be abolished, because it is INSANE that Wyoming has as much a say as California.

The Electoral College is a complete anachronism, as is the notion that the United States is still somehow 50 different countries.
        Wyoming has as much say as California in the Senate. It does not in the House, or in the presidential election. It does deserve some say, however, and if you went to House-only, Wyoming would be basically irrelevant; which would lead to things like dumping nuclear waste in Wyoming; destroying its forests and parklands for oil drilling, all of which would be done for the Federal benefit not the state; etc.

The US is not 50 different countries, but it is 50 different states, which in a lot of ways are as different as many countries. Germany and France probably share about as much in common as California and Texas... language aside (and even that's in question ), we truly do have a lot of different cultures inside the US, and the reason why we've managed to get this far mostly unscathed is our system that allows a voice to the smaller states, and recognizes the uniqueness that comes from our system.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
          But what can you do.
          Move three blocks to get back into the 6th district with Roskam?

Ugh, (D) Deb Conroy got elected in my area too. Democrats have proven again and again that they can't be trusted to be the majority in Illinois. And I used to consider myself a Democrat.

Maybe Kirk Dillard makes another run for Governor in 2 years. :hopeful:

Comment

• VA called for Obama by the NYT and some networks. That with Nevada puts him at 303. But it's looking like he'll win FL, so 332 EVs seems to be the number.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

It has zero to do with the individual value of a vote, and everything to do with the relevance of the state's interests. Farm subsidies are idiotic, true, but the opposite - a country run by urban voters exclusively - would hardly be better.
              The notion that a demographic can't influence government policy if it is a minority is simply untrue. If all votes had equal power that would simply give rural interests an amount of influence proportionate to their share of the population.

Comment

• The good news is Missouri chopped Akin.

The bad news is Missouri still has McCaskill.

Comment

• Romney called Obama to concede and will speak in 5 mins. No word on if Dick Morris will try to restrain him.
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• I'm laughing at the white voters who are bigoted/racist, and have to experience another four years with a black man in the White House.
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
                      Romney called Obama to concede and will speak in 5 mins. No word on if Dick Morris will try to restrain him.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Wyoming has as much say as California in the Senate. It does not in the House, or in the presidential election. It does deserve some say,
                        Yes, it does deserve some say. Like, apprx. 1/50th of a say.

The Electoral College is ****ing insane. Fix gerrymandering, eliminate the EC and the Senate, and we will have a functional government again.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
                          No word on if Dick Morris will try to restrain him.

"My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by H Tower View Post
                            Move three blocks to get back into the 6th district with Roskam?

Ugh, (D) Deb Conroy got elected in my area too. Democrats have proven again and again that they can't be trusted to be the majority in Illinois. And I used to consider myself a Democrat.

Maybe Kirk Dillard makes another run for Governor in 2 years. :hopeful:
                            The Republicans here seem to have given up on getting a governor elected. They couldn't beat the wildly unpopular Blago, and then couldn't beat Pat Quinn, who's not popular with EITHER party. (For those not in IL, Quinn was Lt. Gov. under Blagojevich when he was impeached. He was elected Lt. Gov. separately (well, in the Primary anyway - we select Lt. Gov as a separate office in the primary, then join them for the general) but wouldn't have had a chance in **** of being selected for Gov nor voluntarily selected by Blago, as he doesn't get along with the state Dem machine nor with the Chicago machine.)

Sigh...

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                              Yes, it does deserve some say. Like, apprx. 1/50th of a say.

The Electoral College is ****ing insane. Fix gerrymandering, eliminate the EC and the Senate, and we will have a functional government again.
                              1/50th of a say is _what it has in the Senate_. It has less than 1/50th of a say in the EC. 3/538 < 1/50 last time I checked. Abolish the EC and the Senate, and it would have at most 1/435th of a say (in the House) or 0.25%, and about the same for the President. Zero chance of anyone ever caring about them then.

Comment

• The good news is Missouri chopped Akin.

The bad news is Missouri still has McCaskill.
                                Have you seen the Senate numbers? Dude - the Republicans lost representation from what they had coming in. The moderates are done.
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X